Adopted a new puppy!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Margo_C-T

Reaction score
After losing my DEAR Rhodesian Ridgeback, Roma, to old age a couple of months ago, I'd been checking out the local Animal Humane/Rescues', and Albuq. Animal Welfare, websites for awhile. Visited several, but missed out on those due to other things going on that kept me from getting back into the city in time. Wed. evening a new face appeared on the Alb. Animal Welfare website, and she 'called' to me. My gut feeling was that I'd best move fast, so gathered up my two little elderly lapdogs for a 'meet and greet'(they require it if you have other dog(s), and I agree it's a good idea) and headed for town Thurs.AM. End result: I have adopted a 5 mo. old purebred German Shepherd, who'd been 'owner surrendered' for killing a parakeet(I ask-- who allows such a pup ACCESS to a parakeet, then blames it for BEING a pup?)

I picked her up yesterday PM, as she had to be spayed before leaving there. I will take her for a 'free' basic exam by my own local vet next week, per a list the City has(thank goodness I won't have to drive back into town for it). She had shots, including rabies-and deworming- but will likely need one or two boosters-will see what vet recommends.

Don't be too horrified; I know what I'm doing
default_smile.png
-- for now, she is staying in my horse trailer. It is cleaner than about anywhere else(just my way)...there is NOTHING she can get into trouble with, or get out of, in there, but it is quite roomy, and I pulled it into the aisle of my insulated, well-ventilated barn, so totally comfy.It may be a challenge, but am trying to keep her 'quiet' for the recommended time after the spay!

I leash her EVERYTIME she is out, have been taking her for long walks everytime I go out, letting her meet the horses, visit the little dogs(who bark ferociously, as I knew they would, at her!) and get to know the place. Last night she drank a good bit of water, but would not eat...sure enough, she vomited up the water(expected due to the anesthesia for the spay surgery). This AM, still none of her 'Blue Buffalo' puppy food eaten,but after a couple of good walks, and clearly feeling more 'herself', she ate a small meal, and I've given her a couple more small meals since, and everything seems to be going well.Although my place is fenced and cross-fenced, they are not high fences, so I am going to try to do everything possible to convince her that she BELONGS HERE before I will EVER let her 'loose' on the premises!

She seems a sweet, smart, pup, if pretty much undisciplined. So far has 'held' her bodily functions, even over last night(I walked her last @ 10:30, then was out to take her out by 7 this AM. When I am ready for her to come into the house, I may try puppy pads. She is a bit mouthy,wants to bark at the little horses, and wants to jump up on me, but when discouraged, seems to get the message. If the timing works out, I will take her to basic obedience classes this fall, but if not(I don't like to drive that far at night, and it gets COLD here in winter!), I will work w/ her on my own, and maybe look at classes in the spring.

A corollary benefit to me may be all the (extra)walking!! Just as long as my knees hold up!!

Seriously, I am already very fond of this little lady(who I've named "Ali"),and even though it is a challenge to deal w/ such a youngster at my age and stage, I'm actually looking forward to it!

Of course, I know NOTHING of her background/breeding; just that she needed someone to love and care for her, which I intend to do to the best of my ability. The gentleman I first spoke w/ at ACC said they'd had 'a LOT of interest' in this dog; one had wanted AAC to 'hold' her for 'an hour' Thurs. AM while they went to get their checkbook; for obvious reasons, they won't do that...but they came back while I was 'in the process, and seemed pretty grumpy about missing out! I was just glad I got moving when I did!!

Will try to get some pics soon; when I have the chance(or someone to help!)When that happens, I will enlist the help of someone here to post them(since I haven't a clue...)

Margo and 'Ali', with Angel and Mia who wish she'd just disappear!!

Congratulations, Margo -- Sounds like the beginning of a beautiful friendship!

Tell Angel and Mia to quit snarling and establish themselves as her bosses while she's still young and impressionable. My sister's Maltese loves to lord her supremecy over her "sister" Basenji/Shepherd mix. Berry worships little Joy and accepts her as her pack leader.

I look forward to future Ali tales...

CONGRATULATIONS Margo! I am so glad that you were finally able to "connect" with this one after losing out on the others. It sounds like the beginning of a wonderful, long term relationship!

CONGRATULATIONS Margo! I am so glad that you were finally able to "connect" with this one after losing out on the others. It sounds like the beginning of a wonderful, long term relationship!
Hello,

Just wanted to say that we have been owned by a German Shepard for almost 2yrs. I have owned pure breeds and mutts and can honestly say that this boy had been a joy. Smart, sweet and protective of his horses.Super easy to house break and train. ENJOY!

You are in for a lot of joy and laughter as your new best bud

will keep you entertained.

They are velcro dogs, are loving, comedic, sensitive, very very smart

and loyal.

As soon as she recoveres from her spaying begin teaching her your

way of life and adapting to life on a horse farm.

They are so anxious to please you I don't think you'll have a lot

of issues to deal with.

Our Chevy boy and his brother, before him, never had any formal training.

They didn't require housebreaking, or any real training to come, sit, down or stay.

Both walked by our sides without a leash and just seem to anticipate and know what

you expected of them

A old time breeder of German Shepherds told me about 15 years ago that GSD's

have a facility of 'seeing pictures' of the words you speak. She said she trained

in Germany under a Master breeder, 40 years previous, and he taught her this.

Is it true? I don't know but the two GSD's we've owned are/were brilliant with, it

seems, almost an unending vocabulary of words they understand, first time out.

I wish you unending happiness with Ali and she with you.

Good luck with your new little treasure! I've only had GSDs when I was little and loved then back then. As an adult have never owned one, but can say by just knowing Nancy's (Equuisize) Bear Boy and Chevy...they are excellent dogs! Oh all the adventures she tells me about......
default_laugh.png
. Can you post a pic of little Ali? Would love to see her!

Last edited by a moderator:
A Huge Congratulations....get ready for a great relationship!! It wont take long for Miss Ali to get accustomed to her new home. Nothing wrong with keeping her in the trailer for a bit...she'll soon learn the sounds horses make and will make her much more "stable" companion.

Thank you for adopting
default_saludando.gif
default_saludando.gif

Put the dog training book out in the trailer with her....she'll read it on her own and quiz you later....Shepherds are smart like that!! I cant say enough about the breed.....often called German Shedders....get the vacuum and broom ready.....your gonna need it!!!

Pictures??

No need to wish you best of luck....having a GSD already makes you the luckiest!!

default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

Congratulations!!! Honestly, it's hard to think of anything that is better than a new puppy to love on and raise! I'd love to see pictures of your new fur girl
wub.gif
wub.gif
wub.gif

Congratulations on your great choice. Ali will come around in time and be the best dog you've ever had. Can be tedius at first while trying to set those boundries, they will attempt to take over, but once they learn, they've got it. The leash is a great idea too, they do like to chase until they learn its a "no". If you put in the hours heavily now, but winter, Ali should have it down to a science.

I'm sorry for the loss of your beloved Roma. I hope Ali can help fill that void.

Thanks for all your well-wishes and advice, Forum friends!(and Marty, a special thanks for your condolences...every few days, memories of Roma come to mind, and I cry again, for I miss her SO.)

We are making gradual but steady progress. I can see what you all who are very familiar w/ the breed are speaking about, in all sorts of ways. We are developing a good bond, and she is already 'getting' that she isn't to bark or clack her teeth at the horses; good thing they are all used to large dogs, and just stand and look at her like 'what's up with HER?' My aim is to keep her safe(meaning, on the leash) while she learns good doggie manners, and I can develop a good 'COME' with her! Having cottontails on the premises presents quite the challenge...as Marty said, NOW is the time to spend the time and consistent effort, and I am dedicated to doing so.

My daughter will be here this weekend, and hopefully I can get her to help me get some pics of Ali. When that's accomplished, I'll find someone here who I can email them to to post them. She really is a handsome girl!

Margo

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back