Anyone know the best one to buy

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I guess it would depend on your skill level of listening to heart, lung, and gut sounds. If you just wanting to check heart rate and be able to listen for basic gut sounds then any old cheap stethoscope will do from an online supplier. But if you are listening for (and have developed the skill for) character and murmurs, you'll want a cardiac stethoscope. I personally have 2. 1 for small animals and 1 for large. I keep the small one at work and the large one in my truck. Veterinary/Medical grade stethoscopes can cost hundreds of dollars. For the barn, I would just use a cheap one if I didn't already have the ones I have.

Well, I guess it would depend on your skill level of listening to heart, lung, and gut sounds. If you just wanting to check heart rate and be able to listen for basic gut sounds then any old cheap stethoscope will do from an online supplier. But if you are listening for (and have developed the skill for) character and murmurs, you'll want a cardiac stethoscope. I personally have 2. 1 for small animals and 1 for large. I keep the small one at work and the large one in my truck. Veterinary/Medical grade stethoscopes can cost hundreds of dollars. For the barn, I would just use a cheap one if I didn't already have the ones I have.

OK thanks, wanted it to find out if you can hear a heart beat for mini in foal

and maybe use it also for my husband who has a afib..

No, unfortunately, you can not hear a fetus' heartbeat with a stethoscope. I wish!

OK thanks false information I have received.

You cannot hear the heartbeat, but you can hear the foal kicking after five months gestation. Very loud in the last two months especially.

You cannot hear the heartbeat, but you can hear the foal kicking after five months gestation. Very loud in the last two months especially.
what type of stethoscope and brand name would you suggest.

How many of you's have tried this?

thanks

Well darn.... I had a stethoscope lying around for such a long time and I never used it and gave it to the goodwill. Not sure if it was an animal one though...

The one that I use for work is a Littmann, I think they are very good and have heard lots of good things about them, I also have one at home that is called Ultrascope, they work well and you can order them in any color and then they are glass and you can pick a picture for inside the glass, I will try and add a couple pictures of my ultrascope!!
default_biggrin.png

I think that even if you couldnt hear the foal that it is an important tool to keep around. If I have a sick horse I always stick a stethoscope on it the see what the heart rate is and if there are any gut sounds, depending on the symptoms but is always a good thing to tell your vet when you call with colics and such. oh and the other cool thing about the glass ultrascopes is you can personalize them, I think that I paid 100 dollars for mine.

DSC01121.JPG

thanks have been reading up on the

3M Littmann Classic II, so will be checking more out.

Lots on Ebay for sale..

Unless you know what you are listening to, where you should be listening, and are willing to worry about your equipment getting stepped on, thrown around etc. getting a high end stethoscope is not worth it. I have a littman Cardiology stc that I use at work, but no way would I ever bring it into the barn unless I had a true emergency! for just trying to listen to kicks etc a cheap 12 dollar one from the drug store will do. I will admit, I have listened for kicks for fun, but usually by that point you can feel them too.

what type of stethoscope and brand name would you suggest.

How many of you's have tried this?

thanks
I bought mine from the Jeffers catalog, inexspensive version, but I can hear well enough to take vitals and listen for gut sounds to relay to the vet. Listening for the foal kicks is fun but can also help verify at 5 months that the pregnancy is holding.

http://www.jefferspet.com

Back