Anyone having problems getting there mares infoal this year?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

windwalker

Reaction score
Just curious to see if anyone out there is having as much trouble as me getting your mares infoal? I bought a new stud and now i'm wondering if hes even fertile...

This is so frustrating...

Apparently its been a hard year to get mares in foal.

I have been talking with several paint and quarter horse breeders and they are struggling.

One lady I spoke to started breeding a mare in Feb for a Jan futurity baby and the mare is still not in foal. Both mare and stallion have been tested multiple times now and nothing is wrong.

Yes. The heat in Texas has really affected our breeding. Broke a record for the day today at 107 degrees!

Thanks for your posts...Has anyone had a stallion tested for fertility? and if so how do you go about having it done? Just curious...Thanks

Our stallion that passed away settled all his mares (and one he wasn't suppost to) the one cycle he was bred to them which was in March (the accident) and in April (the other 3) All have been ultrasounded in foal. My friend in the panhandle of oklahoma has never had any issues with her mares or stallions settling, but out of the many she has been breeding all season, I think 9 or 10, only one has settled for sure and another is a maybe. All others keep coming into heat. Sure is wierd everyone is having issues
default_wacko.png
default_wacko.png

My mares just aren't showing heat this year. The 2 that have, I tried to get the donkey to cover and he won't do it. He isn't even vaguely interested. For him.....that's REALLY odd. Maybe these animals know more than we do..........

Yep, add me to the list! My horses are being bred quite late this year, because they either didn't show heat earlier, or because they are coming back in a second time...both of which are very unusual!

A friend of mine that I talk to often, is also experiencing the same type of thing, and her mares are seeming to have extended heats too!

Same here!
default_wacko.png
I had a mare who foaled in April that just finally went into heat 3 days ago. My 2 studs are all about it, just the mares are only sort-of interested and not cycling really at all. They have once for only 24 hrs about just over a month ago, throw them in with their men/hand bred & have'nt seen anyone go back into heat yet. I dont ultrasound so it will be a guessing waiting game now.
default_wacko.png

Does anybody know why this may be? Tony mentioned the heat. It is right at 105 at one o'clock here in OK.
default_new_shocked.gif

I am curious as I have a mare who foaled at the end of March, showed one heat cycle, and nothing since. And she was never bred or exposed to a stallion on the first heat so she is not bred. Bad deal, because I have had her at a breeder this whole time too.

My stud at home has settled one mare, but still working on the other one. But at least she is showing heat cycles.

Add another one to your list. One of my mares (4 year old) has been living with my stallion since Feb. and he has bred her every single month since then. I don't know if she's bred and he's just doing it for fun or what. Another mare (3 yr old) I had wanted to breed had 1 day of heat last month and this month. I missed out both times. I'll try one more time next month and the first day she shows to the stallion, she is going in with him. I don't breed 2 yr olds but I noticed this year both of mine never came into heat at all. The one mare that I did not want to breed this year came into heat for a week or more and actually got mad and dug a 14 inch deep hole in her stall because I would not let her in with the stallion.
default_wacko.png
I also have a mare who is due the middle of July and doesn't even look like she's in foal. Very weird year for me too.

You can add us to the list too! Our mares just aren't cycling right. We had one mare foal in March and has NEVER came into heat. We had the vet out on Tuesday and she checked her, no problems. We had her give 3 mares shots to bring them in so hopefully get them bred this month. If not, they'll wait until next year. She said EVERYONE was having problems. She just guessed the weather had something to do with it.

I dont think you can blame the weather coz you can add me to the list as well and we dont have those high temperatures here in the UK!

I have a couple of 'normal' mares covered and hopefully held, then there have been those that have come into heat for a day, been covered and dont seem to be returning - but who knows? Then I have one that stayed in season for 12 days, but after covering her for 2 or 3 days, little Dragon (Darmond Bergoermans Bravado) said 'no thanks, I dont fancy her again' LOL!!

Welcome to the strange world of mini mares!

Anna

default_saludando.gif
Here too! I've only attempted to breed two mares this year. The first mare is extremely reliable; I've handbred her on her last two cycles but she's showing heat again this week. The other mare (also proven) has yet to show an obvious heat, so I put her with the stallion and I guess I'll hope for the best. The vet was out and they're all clear, so beats me! Honestly though with the way the weather's been (plus humidity ugh!) if no one takes this month I won't be breeding next month--I would hate to have a newborn in this heat.

This year sure is crazy in getting my mare infoal...She foaled in March and still hasnt settled..I'm breeding her now so hopefullly she will take..

I also bought a mare in March of this year and was suppose to foal in April..Well that didnt happen,,she is still pregnant and has had a small bag since April-20th,,She has finally got a bigger bag but just isnt showing other signs...Hmmmmmm just dont know what to think....

Last year was our problem year - we got nothing in foal, bred 6 or 7 mares. I've had a couple of them cultured this year, nothing significant showed up. Just because, I put two stallions and a few of the mares on SMZ for 10 days (per my vet) in case we had missed something. I do actually have 4, maybe 5 mares in foal now for next year but not all are the ones we treated. Go figure. My guess was that it had to do with the heat/drought since we were in it last summer as well. Aggravating.

Jan

I bred only a few mares for next year, but I think that they've all settled. It's a good thing, because I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing foals from my new buckskin leopard appaloosa stallion.
default_biggrin.png

Add me to the list. My stallion covered 5 mares. 2 are back in heat today! I have ONE ultra sound in foal. Waiting to see if the other two come back in heat! For about a week & half, we have had temps near and over 100! I was told once, by an 'old timer', those temps kill the little wigglers....

Viki

Latest posts

Back