Anyone have plans for building jumps

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kelly in AR

Reaction score
I am wanting to build some pvc jumps to practice my mare over. She has been shown in jumping but we are new to this. Anyone have any ideas? Cant figure out how to make them adjustable?

Thanks

Kelly

I just made some this weekend, when I go out later to set them up I will try to get pictures to show how I did it. I made cups that slide up and down on the standards to be adjustable. Ill give all the specs and such later when I post the pictures!

Ok Here is first of all a picture of the jump this one is set at the highest legal height 44" (I made them work for both AMHA and AMHR by taking the specs from both rule books and combining them).

PVCJumps002.jpg

I used 1 1/4" PVC pipe that was 5' long, I used six poles for each jump. I used 2-1 1/4" elbow connectors for the ground pole (connecting the groundpole to the jump is optional but it does give the jump more stability. I cut each of the poles at 12" for the front of the ground piece that would attach to the elbow for the ground pole. The remaining 4' section of those poles goes to the opposite side of a T connector. 2-1 1/4" T's are needed for each jump to connect the ground poles and the standard (upright). Make sure when purchasing the pieces that the T and elbow pieces fit the pole on all directions, if you check only one side the other end may be a different size if not checked carefully! The upright was the most difficult because you have to take into account the difference between the actual height of the jump and the actual location of the hole for adjustment. For example, the hole may be at 41.5" but the actual height of the jump will be 44". What I did was put the standards into the T's so that they would be the actual height including the ground pieces. I then had to make the cups so that I would know how many inches to subtract from each height to make the hole height. This includes the height of the pole as well as how many inches to the cup from the hole. Here is a picture of the cups that I made from a 1 1/2" T connector that slides nicely over the poles:

PVCJumps005.jpg

I cut each one in two and figured where to drill the holes, be careful when drilling! the holes in the cup must match the ones on the uprights or else the bolt wont fit through to hold it in place. Here is the "bolt" I used, I dont remember what it is actually called but can be found at Menards or Lowes or any place like that:

PVCJumps003.jpg

The bolt was 5/16" in width and was 2 1/4" long if I remember correctly. I used a 3/8" drill bit for the holes so it was just the right size for the bolt to fit.

Here is a finished standard. As you can kind of see I lined the holes up on one side evenly and then put the cup over to drill through to the other side being careful to aim for the hole in the other side of the cup so I didnt drill a bunch of different holes and break it.

PVCJumps007.jpg

Hopefully this makes some sense and if not just tell me what needs more explaining and I will do my best
default_yes.gif

Here is another finished picture with it on a lower setting.

PVCJumps006.jpg

Thank you Melinda
default_aktion033.gif

I was trying to figure something out today at Lowe's I think the girl working in the plumbing department thinks I am NUTS. She is probably right.

I have seen some jumps made with pvc and dowel pins. I wanted something a little better and I LOVE your idea. I will be back at Lowe's tomorrow with my list.

THANKS for sharing

Kelly

Thanks Susanne

I never thought about other animals. I did all kinds of searches on yahoo and didnt come up with a thing.

Thanks

Kelly

Wow, those are nice jumps, I made my own wooden ones years ago with a 2x4 and a 4x4. I had to buy the jump cups but at $5-10 each I think your pvc idea is easier, clean and would last in wet weather. How do they do in winter? ANy cracking?

I really don't have any pictures of our jumps, to show how they are made. I do, however, have some pictures of one of our friends/boarders playing around with one of our guys, and you can kind of see how the jumps are from those. They are all PVC, and we LOVE them!

Jump1.jpg

Jump2.jpg

Jump5.jpg

Jump4.jpg

Wow...such great ideas! I used to jump eventers but our jumps were pricey. I have a couple of low jumps that I take my barrel horses over but I wanted some more with out spending a bunch of money. Thanks.

We make our own...

Went to a dog agility site for making jumps, ordered the joints, caps for the ends and clip on adjustable cup strips.

Then we just used pvc and glued some in for bases and the others just slip in to make them very portable.

The kids decorated them with stripes using colorful electrical tape

www.clipandgoagility.com has the stuff, that isn't where I got them, can't remember the site but these look the same.

Very easy to put together and pretty cost effective.

Latest posts

Back