Anyone growing their winter coats yet?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As most of you know i raise quarters and paints (but am getting into minis when we get another place) and i noticed this weekend that mine are getting winter coats. Im from South Dakota and i dont think they ever got them that early up there.

I moved south for warmer weather lol

you hit it on the nose its going to be an early long and hard winter.

dawn

I'm not, but my minis are. They have been since the days started getting shorter, actually.

I think it happens the same time every year with rare exception for any metabolic problems or deprivation of daylight, but people just aren't ready for it so they call it "early" or something.

It's really a response to the shortening days as Jill said, though in some of our North American climates it seems excessive.

It was 95 here yesterday, which is unseasonably warm, but then again, it was down in the 40s overnight.

I think I'll go dig out MY winter coat. *LOL*

Liz

Oh, boy, are they!! Several seemed to start 'hairing up' especially early this year(in late July), while a couple of others actually seem to be a bit slower than usual---go figure! Winter forecast here is for dry, not sure about temp, though....but I do live at 6600 ft. altitude, so kind of expect serious winters! Seems like an AWFULLY long season of hairiness, but...years ago, my riding instructor in Albuquerque used to tell us that if we wanted to show at the State Fair in Sept., that we needed to blanket(big horses, and this was before body clipping was in really 'general' use!)by August first!!

Margo

48 here this morning :eek: and Cappy isn't growing much yet but oh I hate to blanket. Hopefully this snap will stimulate the hair to fuzz up quick...more hay helps.

Yep - winter hair coming on here, along with geese flying south. We just have two horses left, but check this out!

skittleswhite01.jpg

Yep, Skittles winter coat is coming in white in the right places! She's out of two leopards & was born black as night with app sclera. I knew she'd spot, but I love to see it actually happening. I love that about apps. She should show some more color when her spring coat comes in next year, but alas, she'll probably be in a new home by then.
default_wink.png
:

Wow I thought I was the only one with a mini with a furry coat already! lol. I'm in Georgia and lately it's been lower 90's upper 80's and Champ already has his winter coat growing in! Poor guy! We have to keep him inside or he'll explode from the heat!

Does this mean it's going to be a bad winter????

Our County fair is always the end of August. And our horses all seam to start growing in their winter coats the week of the show. It just makes it very difficult to deside on when to clip the horses. To early and you still have shaggy horses. And too late and you get more of their winter coat color.

A few of ours are already really shaggy. It got down to 40 last night.

But will be hard on them tomorrow when it is supose to hit 80 but the next day the hight is only going to be 50. So it will be nice then.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Just got to love this Sept weather. But at least most of the bugs are gone. :aktion033:

Deb

Here in Texas they are were I work. And Kids coat gets a really pretty deep red and I have to shave it all off for the show
default_sad.png
I love it its so purty lol.

Ohhh Marty, did you have to mention WINTER HAIR in a post so early
default_wacko.png
: I thought I was the only one with some fuzzy little munchkins, but I can see I'm not. I heard our weather is 3 weeks ahead of normal for this time of the year. :no:
default_unsure.png
: I am so not looking forward to winter, darn...I just decorated my yard for fall yesterday and today, and now we're talking about winter..our night temps have been down to the thirties, and some days up to 60's, but now they are saying next week 84.. :eek: ...Ohhhhhhhh. Corinne

Latest posts

Back