Anyone growing their winter coats yet?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
My horses are already hairy.

I just body clipped a lot of them last month because of the heat wave........

Now they already are growing it back and super hairy like they are ready for snow. ugh!

Yep, same here in Western Pa. If the early thick coats are sign of a rough winter we better look out

and put another blanket on the bed :new_shocked:

HA! That's funny to hear.

We have just come out of winter so our horses are SHEDDING MACHINES!!!!!! I could make my own fur coat just from the fur I collect off my pants each night!!!
default_wacko.png
:

I must admit, I LOVE the winter photos of your horses over there. Our Aussie horses just don't get that fluffy.

Ours started growing their winter coats in early July this year--that's a bit earlier than usual; normally it's closer to the end of July. Some of them are getting very fuzzy already; a few aren't quite so hairy yet.

It's been windy and cool--okay, almost COLD--here the last few days. We've been close to having frost a few nights already. In fact the other night when I went out to cover some flowers there was frost on a sheet of plastic I had laying out in the front yard. It didn't touch the garden that night though--jsut seemed to be a bit colder on that one part of the yard. Another night there was frost on the truck windows, but none on the ground.

The way the wind was moaning earlier today it sounded like SNOW.

Yes, I'm disgusted that they now have hair over an inch long :eek: but my QH's and TB are as slick as ever.

Ours started growing their winter coats in early July this year--that's a bit earlier than usual; normally it's closer to the end of July. Some of them are getting very fuzzy already; a few aren't quite so hairy yet.

It's been windy and cool--okay, almost COLD--here the last few days. We've been close to having frost a few nights already. In fact the other night when I went out to cover some flowers there was frost on a sheet of plastic I had laying out in the front yard. It didn't touch the garden that night though--jsut seemed to be a bit colder on that one part of the yard. Another night there was frost on the truck windows, but none on the ground.

The way the wind was moaning earlier today it sounded like SNOW.
I'm in about the same boat. I'm glad I got my transfer pictures done when I did, I had a 3 or 4 week window from when my colt finished shedding out and when his winter coat started coming in. *sigh*

yup both my boys are getting fuzzy. harley is not so fuzzy yest but hes gettin there. he is still reallyyy shiny. JC on the other hand is in full out winter outfit which sucks as its in like the 90s here and it probably wont be much different in the middle of winter

Yes and chubby. I like em chubby for winter. Halley is getting quite fuzzy, Maggie is also and Cappy well I worry about that one...might need a blanket!

Registry photos. Don't even mention those! Back in July we said we needed to take our registry photos before the horses got to hairy. You know how it goes--gotta get that done this week. Okay, next week for sure....then the black flies were here & the horses couldn't stand still long enough for a photo of any sort, even with fly spray. So, now here we are taking registry photos of hairy horses. The foal isn't so bad--his papers will get changed when he turns 3. The two stallion-to-geldings are the same--I can change the photos next year when they go permanent. But Serenade--she needs her permanent photos so I guess she will have the crappiest of photos on her permanent papers. Or else I'll pay $10 to get them changed later. I like to keep the paperwork current so don't want to just leave them be & do the photos & paperwork "next year"
default_wacko.png
:

I have a driving show on the 22nd of September and another fun show in October, I clipped Thursday of last week, and will probably have to clip again.
default_sad.png
I hate clipping her but I also don't want a wet horse when its cold outside. The others are all hairy except the old man and I clipped him a month ago, it was 100 degrees and he had more hair than a mini, he's a small pony.

Karen

Ours are definately hairing up!! But then, we've already had frost twice this week!

Check out our wooley 07 baby!

lucky3mos2.jpg

Even here in Florida, ours are just now beginning to coat up. :new_shocked: It's been cooling off at nights the last week or two, thank goodness. Just the other night after dinner, I was sitting on my back porch steps while my schnauzy was out for his potty break, and it was slightly breezy out. At first I was like...ahhhhhh, this feels so wonderful, then after a couple minutes I was like....BRRRRRRR, it's getting nippy, LOL. I looked at the thermometer and it read 81 degrees. :aktion033: That was near FREEZING after a sweltering hot day in the upper 90's, LOL. Anyways, so the horses are all coating up now, except for Rolex. I may have to start putting a sheet on him at night, if his coating doesn't start to catch up with the others. Little Bridget came with hers though, LOL. She's got the fullest so far, she's only been here a week and already she's well ahead of the rest with her coating up, LOL. I feel bad for them through mid day though, as it still gets hot thru the day. So, I just do my best to keep up with plenty of cool fresh water in their drink troughs.
default_wub.png
:

Every year, my horses start getting fuzzier in August which I think is typical for my region. Most of us know, it's not the temperature, but the change in hours of daylight.

Mine are already getting fuzzy. What really tips me off as to what kind of winter we are going to have are my fur rabbits. They all just went through a total coat changing molt. Then the babies have a second coat coming up through the main coat. The last time they did that we had 7 1/2 feet of snow that winter. Our norm is to get 2-4" and it melts off. that year we were in a deep freeze. I hope it doesn't happen again. I don't have my Jeep anymore.

Mine started hairing up the first week of August which is typical for us here. Man did they get hairy FAST though! My two geldings seem to be the worst, much hairier than my mares. I don't know if that's normal or not. I too will be sending in some hairy registration photos but it's just on a baby so I'm not too worried.

I too, just noticed that my horses are sporting about 1" of soft fluffy coat in the last couple of weeks. I don't know about you all, but I LOVE the fuzzy pony look all winter. They're so fluffy and cute and cuddly! Of course, I don't like it in the spring when it starts coming out and it's everywhere including up my nose!!

Jayne

here in Louisiana, mine are starting to get a little thicker and longer, but not as much as during the day it still in the 90s and at night it drops down to the low 70s

Mine are. The minis anyways. Not Drew our riding horse. Smarty just finished shedding out a few weeks ago and now he's all fuzz. They are shedding their summer fur faster that I can groom. And they are groomed every other day.

Christy

Latest posts

Back