anyone ever heard of putting banamine under the tounge

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

running in the red

Reaction score
I was told tonight that I could put the banamine under the tounge instead of injecting? anyone ever done this- I don't want to kill my horse-but, I don't want to make really sore and afraid that each time I come never him that means I have to shoot him.......thanks for any help joy prince

I have not heard of actually having to put it under the tongue, however, I have heard of giving it orally. You can buy Banamine paste made specifically for that, or you can also use the injectable and squirt it into their mouth. Apparently, it is very bitter, and it takes a little longer to kick in when giving orally, but yes, it can be given that way and it does work.
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Injectible Banamine can be given orally. Never have under the tongue, but I just squirt the dosage into the horses' mouth. It's very effective this way and no likelihood of a bad abcess at the injection site which sometimes occurs with injecting Banamine IM.

I usually give it orally - just squirt it in the mouth. Make sure to get the syringe back a ways as they will try to spit it out. Use same amount as IM. I have never heard of it under the tongue.

Lisa

I always give banamine orally, it is sooooo bitter that I mix the proper dosage of banamine with molasses and that helps with the bitter taste. I just syringe it back in their mouth the same way that I give my dewormers.

I give it orally too
default_yes.gif

Then I give a treat to kill the taste. Yes it tastes nasty! BLECK!

It works very well.

Of course doing IV is much faster then anything else. IM which some people in some parts of the country still do and others are very against is IMO about as fast acting as giving it orally (the injectable). I prefer that over the paste which every vet has told me takes the longest to start working over the other methods.

I give the liquid orally as well, have for years and it hasn't killed a horse yet LOL. They never seem to object to the taste - maybe worse to us than them.

Jan

Under the tongue is supposed to make it take affect faster, I read this some place.

The only kind of Banamine we have now is liquid and we give it orally. It goes into the system via the gums as well as the stomach, so reaction time is only a few minutes less than giving it IM. Have never heard of giving it under the tongue. I would think they could spit it out easier that way.

Humans have large blood vessels under the tongue and medication given there is very quick acting. I am not sure if horses have the same vessels or not. Would be an interesting question for a vet.

I give banamine orally as well. I have given it IM on many occasions but I have found that the liquid given orally works just as fast and you have less possible side effects that way too.

Latest posts

Back