Anyone ever had a mare...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shelly

Reaction score
that while breeding during their heat cycle get "urine scald" or irritated under the vulva in the area between their legs? Not in the vulva itself but all in underneath...I just noticed Lacey was all crusty and when I washed the area it was all bald where the skin has fallen off!
default_new_shocked.gif
It is not red or infected but it is sore for her. Should I put some kind of salve on it or leave it to air dry? Do you think she is allergic to Joey's sperm/ejaculate? We bred her Saturday night(and have been every other night since Monday) and I didn't notice it then, just today when I went to put her out. I'm definitely not breeding her anymore on this cycle! Should I be worried?
default_unsure.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd put some A&D ointment on the area, its not as messy as petroleum jelly, but still helps to soothe the skin.

It isnt something to be truly worried about probably. All mares are messy when they are in heat and their urine will burn the skin which is most likely what is causing the hair to fall out. I would put something on it either A & D as mentioned earlier or novalsen (sp?) it should heal fairly quickly anyways. I would just make sure to clean her off there every other day or so while she is still being messy. Just my opinion but that is what I would do and just see if that helps.

I would like to add one thing. I had a mare like this thru several heat cycles. I had the vet out and she had a uti. It was easy to clear up with smz's and time. It surprised me though.

Is this by any chance a mare that foaled this year? I've noticed for the first month after foaling some mares are "loose" so the urine tends to trickle down rather than away from the body. Like Maple Hollow I rinse them off every couple days and put some aloe on to reduce irritation and protect the skin. It always seems to clear up within a couple weeks, but like Candice said if it's a long-term problem I would have your vet check for an infection.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all...no this mare has been open for a year. Her last foal was in 2007. I will watch her for any other signs of infection but her vulva looks fine...no discharge or swelling. Could a uterine infection keep her from getting pregnant? She was bred last year and didn't take.
default_no.gif

I was just talking about this to a friend yesterday. We have a 2 year old mare that is always squirting. She is a mess in her hind end. She has been in heat several times in the past month, so our vet thinks she might have cysts on her ovaries preventing her from ovulating. He gave us a shot to give her to make her ovulate so she stops, don't remember off hand what it was.

A friend of ours said she had a mare the same thing with her mare being a mess on her hind end and legs. Her mare was white and pink skinned back there and it took all of her hair off as well. She took her to the vet and had her checked for infection, but there wasn't anything. She said the same thing about putting ointment on.

I don't think I would be too concerned. Just make sure you keep her washed up good and put some ointment on.

Latest posts

Back