Post Breeding Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FurstPlaceMiniatures

Reaction score
After many many years - I have finally begun my first breeding venture. Before the keyboard warriors emerge - yes I can afford it, yes they’re both registered (and darn nice!), yes they’ve both proven themselves in the show ring, and my plan for the foal is to keep it - as the stallion is my “once in a lifetime” horse and the mare is from the guy who got me into ponies. I grew up with horses and managed herd health on large dairies - labor, delivery, breeding etc is not out of my skill set at all.

I bred my mare about a week ago, both the mare and the stallion were thoroughly washed with surgical scrub beforehand as per a very knowledgeable repro vets advice. I hand bred the first time, then turned them loose together. I know he bred her a few more times. All went well, but the past 2 days she’s had a bit of discharge. Mare is 15 and had a foal 5 years ago. 

No odor, no fever, no other issues. Not sick in the least bit. No damage to the vulva etc. Still a sassy little gremlin. The discharge is a sort of mustard color. 

I noticed it Friday night, shot a text to the vet, she said it wasn’t worth the emergency weekend call charge and she’d be in the area this upcoming Wednesday. Said to wash it off daily to monitor how much their is and it could just be “fluids” stuck to her leg (Isn’t breeding horses attractive?! Lol) and not to he

My question - what do you more seasoned breeders think it could be? A little metritis brewing? 

Thanks!

Never experienced that kind of discharge before.....Been breeding for 27 years.  It's good to have the vet check that out.

If she's still in heat when the vet visits, she may want to Flush your mare, which means try re-breeding next cycle or the one after..... If it was metritis, one would think it would have shown up before during heat cycles, either way, Flushing would definitely help.

She doesn’t seem to be in heat anymore. When she was standing she was STANDING! Now not at all, still in with the stallion who knows better than to try when she’s not in heat. Hoping it’s just nasty crud, but having the vet come anyway. Drove her today and she showed zero signs of being uncomfortable.

Hope she took for you and all the best during her pregnancy ?

Regarding the discharge , it could be a slight uterine infection which I'm sure your vet will determine if it is. 

Is is she still currently in season ? 

She doesn’t seem to be in heat anymore. When she was standing she was STANDING! Now not at all. I did catch her peeing and winking a little today but then she shot down my studs attempts quickly. Maybe she’s just a hormonal little hussy early in pregnancy and peeing on her leg? 

Latest posts

Back