Anyone else here have minis that aren't registered?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magnolia_dream

Reaction score
My mini named Magnolia, Maggie for short, isn't registered and she is the calmest most gentle baby you'll ever find and she pulls my cart without complaint. I was just wondering because it seemed like everyone else had their minis registered.

[SIZE=14pt]Im glad your little mare works out so well for you. ITs nice to see that she has a good home. PErsonally, I would not have an unregistered mini because then you are not able to show and should not breed ...... Just my humble opinion.[/SIZE]

Lyn

I have shown her and we got a thrid place ribbon at her very 1st show. But thanks for the nice comments. I think she would be fine to breed also. she came from a farm where they just pasture bred. And all of her brothers and sisters were healtly and pretty, i'm just a sucker for chestnuts

Our little SHortcake isn't registered although technically she could have been. Her sire is SOLID GOLD TENDER LOVE, and her dam is RIVERS EDGE MOON RIVER..that's pretty darn good breeding

BUT Shortcake showd some VERY minimal problems with her feet being clubby on the rear wasn't registered then boarded and they weren't trimmed like they should have been the first year. But she is better now but will always have those problems.

We bought her to give her a home knowing that and never regretted it! These horses need good homes too and she's repayed us millions of times over with her soft kind heart and she will be a wonderful therapy horse filling a needed job in the community. She will never be for sale at any cost. If I ever have to rehome her it will be to someone free that I know will treat her like we do. Here she is our tiny 27,1/2" typey, Looncall's Lil Shortcake:

CarlandShortcakeonthemove.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=14pt]What I meant about showing relates to SANCTIONED shows not fun shows. Personally I feel that there are already too many registered minis looking for homes and that unregistered horses should not be part of a breeding program. That gets to be a hot topic here I know. Just how I as a 20 plus year breeder feel. Not saying there is anything wrong with her to make her unregisterable, healthy happy unregistered horses should also not be bred, at least in my mind. [/SIZE]

Lyn

She is very cute!

Do you know where she came from, what farm or why she is not registered? Is it not important to you, or better words, it did not make a difference?

Were you wanting to register her, or just asking????

Sorry Lynn, not everyone wants to show and/or breed. And many unregistered minis come from registered stock, as with Minx's Shortcake. Thankfully, there are people out there willing to take in such horses.

We recently lost an approximately 32 year old unregistered mini gelding. He taught us how to drive and was worth his weight in gold. He easily could have been competitive in driving, he was an excellent mover, with a natural headset, etc. He simply didn't have papers. Well, let me rephrase that--he did come with papers, but they obviously weren't his (not the seller's fault). Unfortunately, Dino was far from happy where he was, he was quite depressed, not eating, kept locked up by himself, etc. So, by buying this unregistered horse, my family learned how to drive and he wound up in a home that made him happy for his last several years. Would I do it again? You bet!

My mini's are all registered. In fact they're all triple registered AMHA/AMHR and PtHA. Because I breed to sell and have fairly high expectations on what I produce I wouldn't breed something that isn't registered. For one thing the horses are easier to sell with multiple registries. The other is that I really believe that when people breed it should done with great thought and with the idea of getting as close to the breed standards as possible. On the other hand.......mini's are fun and wonderful pets and if you're enjoying her and having fun with her who cares that she's not registered! I actually do have one mini that is not registered....he's a dwarf that I took as a pet and had gelded but he is so much fun and is "Mister Tude" that I wouldn't have given up the joy of having him for anything! By the way......if your mini is the one in your avatar I believe you could register her with PtHA and it's not that expensive. She just can't have any Appy characteristics. Then you could show in Pinto shows......which are a lot of fun. Good luck with her, and most of all have fun and enjoy her. :bgrin

Mine...well I guess he WAS registered, but I never got the papers. I don't care. We bought him very cheap, and just for a pet. I do not show him, or breed him (he's a gelding), don't even drive him (but thinking about it). He's just a pet here, so I didn't pursue the papers....although I was told I'd get them. Soemone on here actually looked him up for me, but I don't remember what his registered name was...whoever did this told me. Something like Black Magic Chevy or Chevy's Black Magic....something like that.

But I wasn't looking for showing or breeding stock, so he was perfect for us!

Angie

I'm with Lyn on this subject. All mine are registered AMHA and some double registered with AMHR and my senior stallion is triple registered with Pinto as well.

I have one unregistered 4 year old, 37 inch gelding. Great guy for just driving around, very sweet personality. I agree about not breeding unregistereds, but please don't turn this into an argument thread.
default_smile.png

Neither of my minis have been registered. Tuffy was not.

Big Man technically WAS...I have a set of temporary AMHA papers for him (he's bred to the hilt, too), along with a signed transfer, BUT he measures in at 37", so I guess he's unregistered (he's 4 now). He's an awesome driving gelding & a perfect pet.

I can see where people who are building up a farm reputation would believe in the necessity of registration. I only have 2 and they are both geldings, so breeding is not an issue for me; I got them for driving. They are registered, though. I would rescue an unregistered horse, but I wouldn't buy one. The purpose of registration, in a perfect world, is to keep a breed going in the right direction. I went hiking one time in an area where there was a village that was over run with dogs. There were no other animals there, only dogs. Everything else had been killed by the roaming dogs. All the dogs were medium sized, medium coated, medium brown. Nothing special as to apititudes or characteristics. They were dogs reduced to their common denominator. I think breeding animals should be about perpetuating desireable qualities. To breed horses just because you have a mare and stallion isn't a good reason. Anyone thinking of getting into breeding needs to read some recent threads on this forum about the hair-raising foaling experiences. It's not a perfect world, but let's try to keep our breed from being reduced to the lowest common denomenator. Registration is no guarantee that a foal will be healthy and correct, but the old saying about "mutts being the best kind of dog" isn't always true, either.

Big Man technically WAS...I have a set of temporary AMHA papers for him (he's bred to the hilt, too), along with a signed transfer, BUT he measures in at 37", so I guess he's unregistered (he's 4 now). He's an awesome driving gelding & a perfect pet.
He could still easily be registered with the AMHR, even now...using his temporary AMHA registration. Then, all you have to do, is just return his AMHA papers.

I feel the same with grade minis, as I do with grades of any type/breed of horses and ponies. The individuals can be the greatest animals in the World...but I do not beleive in breeding them to make more.

"They were dogs reduced to their common denominator."

I don' think that these dogs being mutts or unregistered had anything to do with what they were capable of. I have seen on this forum, several dog attacks, and some were most likely done by pure bred and maybe even registered dogs. I saw some very disturbing pictures after Hurricane Katrina, where dogs who were left to fend for themselves, resulted to killing other animals left to fend for themselves. These included pit bulls, german shepards and some other breed that I can't remember right now. I guarantee that some of these dogs could have been registered and they were definately pure bred.

I find it interesting that whenever someone asks about unregistered horses, the thread always gets into the breeding aspect. In the original post, she never mentioned breeding. Yet, that is all everyone was talking about--how wrong it is to breed unregistered horses. That is not what the original thread was about. There is more to these little horses than breeding, and if more people would realize that, maybe their popularity would increase (as would the popularity of geldings). There is more to these horses than showing too!

And no, I'm not breeding unregistered horses. I only have one unregistered horse on my property, and she is my 17 year old retired riding horse. I've owned her since she was 2 years old, and she's just a pasture ornament now.

i agree the question was NOT should i breed my unregistered mare
default_smile.png
it was does anyone else have some. Two totally different things. but i think it got off track as she did say her mare was breeding quality.

I will say breeding unregistered horses puts them at a much higher risk of having to be rescued
default_sad.png
un registered horses are generally harder to sell. The majority of horses we have taken in cmhr have been un registered. But we HAVE taken in registered horses just not nearly as many.

Well I adore my new little unregistered, still intact for the moment, stallion. Looking at him under his discheveled apprearance he could beat the pants off a large percentage of the registered minis I've seen including my own "highly bred", "correct" (as they were advertised) ones. Would I breed him? Not on your life but I think breeding anything in this day and age is at the least, irresponsible at it's worst egomanical
default_rolleyes.gif
: but only speaking for myself, of course
default_whistling.gif
:
default_wink.png
:

No wonder mini horse people will NEVER have respect in the big horse world--the only thing they are considered good enough for is breeding or showing! Yet we still try to convince people otherwise.
default_wacko.png
:

Last edited:
I just want to jump in here and say that I DO agree with Lyn too. I don't advocate in ANY way backyard breeding of unregistered horses for any reason.!

! This creates havoc in dogs and will in horses too. There are SO many for sale now on all sale boards everywhere, that you can purchase a registered horse pretty reasonable if you don't think you have to start with championship material. :bgrin

I know, except for Shortcake, my other two are registered simply so if we ever have to rehome them they have a better chance at a really promising future.

My point with Shortcake was to show that some of those that end up without papers do make wonderful pets and do need homes so are worth your time too. In no way was I differing in opinions with Lyn, just adding my 2 cents worth :bgrin

and of course as always this was JMHO,

Maxine

Latest posts

Back