Anyone else here have minis that aren't registered?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a wonderful Gelding i bought that has papers but they say he is a Stallion and nope he was gelded in Nov 05 by previous owners, they will not give me his Gelding report , and to me it is no big deal as my daughter shows him in our local Mini club and "OPEN" shows and he beats the big horses , I also have a Reg. stallion and a unreg.dwarf and I choose not to show my Reg Stallion at A or R shows cuz i enjoy the fun times we have at our local club and local open shows, my stallion too has taken blues against the big horses and its just loads of fun....I find nothing wrong with owning an unregisterd mini or Breeding an unregistered Mini ...I have Amish friends who Love the cross my stallion can put on there 36" unreg. mini's that are "trottingbreds" ...I really do not think it is hurting the breed to have unreg. minis but rather should look at WHY the orginal owners (breeders) did not reg. them to begin with? What happens to the stud reports of these foals born that were not reg. where do the papers go?If they turned in a stud report for the Mare that had the Unreg. foal then where or what do they do woth the papers on that foal?

Just questions so please dont flame me for asking , just trying to understand what is so terribly wron with unregisterd mini's ??

Jenn

All my minis that I own now are registered except for one and if it came down to really, this unregistered mini would be one of the last we'd choose to part with. He's our first mini and such a blast to drive. A black and white 1999 pinto named Eclipse. He's also the first "baby horse" we raised, he came home at not quite 3mos old, which is VERY young but he turned out great. I took him on a trail drive when he was 2.5 years old and he was the star of our group! He was unflappable and he and I had to take the front crossing a bridge that other more seasoned minis were afraid of. Eclipse is also one of the most gentle animals I have ever known and he is my husbands favorite out of all our minis.

I don't have any unregistered horses but I sure admire you people who have taken in the unregistered ones and love them and have so very much fun with them. I do see where breeders sell unregistered horses because they don't want some bred..only thing is they still can get used for breeding. I do feel badly that people breed so many and they end up at auctions where so many are sold to people who go on and breed them even though they aren't good representatives of the breed. People who want pets very often don't care if they are not registered ...... don't like dealing with the paperwork! I am beginning to think there is going to be a miniature horse on every corner before long just like with dogs! Mary

just trying to understand what is so terribly wron with unregisterd mini's
------ If all owners of all unregistered mini's would outlive the mini's in their care I don't think there would be a problem............ The problem occurs when owners no longer can or want to keep the unregistered mini's. I feel it is a lot easier to place the registered minis into new caring homes................ Also if owners of unregisterd mini's decide to breed them then they are going to multiply every year resulting in MORE unregisterable mini's.................... I see nothing wrong with having an unregistered mini - the problem is in creating more of the same............ Also since they sell for less they become "throw away pets" like the colored chicks & bunnies at Easter......... JMHO

[SIZE=14pt]That is true, I bought an unregistered at the time mare....she had papers before JC william died and she couldnt be matched to the papers which is why I bought her and hardshipped her back into the registry. I do realize there are quality animals without papers for whatever reason. THat said I would still not buy a horse that I could not register because I do show and breed. I dont believe I should be shot down for having that as a goal, it doesnt make me love my horses or anyone elses any less.[/SIZE]

Lyn

I have two unregistered mini's. I show them, i think people dont take 'unrated shows' seriously. I know i show them at fair's and they have done well. Just because there not registered does not mean there not show quality and does not mean they cant be shown. I have seen QUALITY horses at the fair and coco showed agianst them and placed very well last year. I think there are more shows for unregistered horses if you look at it really. There are about 120 Fairs each year here on Ohio ....there are about 5-9 AMHA/AMHR/ASPC shows here in ohio each year.

Coco was my first horse, he is not registered and CAME from an auction! It wasnt a bad auction, but still an auction. He drives and has done well in halter classes. I take him serious when it comes to showing! He is a gelding as i do beleive that unregistered horses should not be bred ....but that does not make unregistered horses crap! I stand firm on this belief and take affense to hearing people talk down on unregistered mini's. I have had no trouble selling an unregistered mini or horse ...ever. I've found that generally people dont care if they have papers with them unless there big time show/breeding farms.

CocoGrass.jpg

100_0432.jpg

100_0423.jpg

Joey is my other unregistered shetland who i saved from slaughter at auction. He was skinny, underweight and you couldnt catch him even with a bucket of sweet feed. Now he is showing 3 fairs this summer and lives to jump and take rides with the little girl i babysit. He is very special to me, along with Coco. I call Coco my little angel for more reasons then i care to give.

...Now a show horse in all his Glory ...Joey! Yep, this is the horse that was about $20 from slaughter at sugarcreek about a year ago ..look at him now!
default_smile.png

c2c7ab78.jpg

100_0408.jpg

I wont lie ....personally now that i've began to get my goals together ...i've had to move from unregistered minis/shetlands. Its important to me that i make it in this business and you have to make changes to do so. When i started out i cared as much about pedigree's as i did about what my room looks like, lol. But thing's changed and now i have to stick to registered horses with the bloodlines that i like and has everything going for them.

Royal (ASPC) , Lexus (APHA/PtHa) & Harley (AMHR) are all registered however.

I just take allot of affence from hearing unregistered mini's being talked down ....being that Coco is so dear to me and Joey as well.

I respect everyones opinion and will listen to anyones opinion ....but i stand firm on mine as well.

Would you be suprised if i told you Coco beat 3 REGISTERED mini's last year at the fair?

default_yes.gif
: I know confirmation varies and even a unreg. horse can be of good quality but i wa quit proud of Coco after that accomplishment.

Leeana H.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow this post took off! I didn't mean that my pony was "breeding material" in fact unless it's an accident i don't think she will ever be a mother. I was just coming to her defense that just cause she's unregistered doesn't mean she can't be bred. I don't want this board turned into an argument anyway i just wanted to know if anyone else owned unregistered mini's because it seemed like of most of the ones people posted about were registered. And no that's not her in my avatar that is Poncho my shetland pony. He actually could have been registered, but his previous owners didn't register him and i couldn't afford a membership and all that stuff that goes along with it. So thankyou for all the posts! And thankyou to those of you coming to my mare's defense.*lol* :bgrin peace out

Wow this post took off! I didn't mean that my pony was "breeding material" in fact unless it's an accident i don't think she will ever be a mother. I was just coming to her defense that just cause she's unregistered doesn't mean she can't be bred. I don't want this board turned into an argument anyway i just wanted to know if anyone else owned unregistered mini's because it seemed like of most of the ones people posted about were registered. And no that's not her in my avatar that is Poncho my shetland pony. He actually could have been registered, but his previous owners didn't register him and i couldn't afford a membership and all that stuff that goes along with it. So thankyou for all the posts! And thankyou to those of you coming to my mare's defense.*lol* :bgrin peace out

I don't think there is a problem with owning unregistered minis, but I do have a problem with breeding unregistered minis. There are plenty of pet quality minis that are registered, that to breed unregistered ones, it makes no sense.

Yes, they can be hardshipped, but I would eventually personally love to see hardshipping eliminated. Not tomorrow, but I do think a reasonable goal of 5-10 years from now the books close isn't out of line.

Unregistered minis can be just as well loved and enjoyed, but please don't breed them!

And no, I do not have any minis that are unregistered at this time.

HI and welcome. I am glad you have a wonderful mini who fits with you perfectly.

I know there are many shows you can go to and CDE's which by the way have some great competition (although technically against yourself) and have a great time and represent the breed.

You didnt ask (and I havent read others posts yet) about breeding I dont think I would opt to breed minis that are unregistered however I know there are some that do as well as many who breed unregistered dogs or cats -bottom line is if the animal has a good home and is well cared for and loved that is all any of us breeders can hope and wish for our animals be it horses, dogs cats or whatever. Everyone has to make there own mind up as to what they want in a program although again I dont see your OP was about breeding anyway

Having a miniature regestured when bought is definately very handy but if you buy a miniature that is not registered i don't see any problem. I have just started out and my mini is hardship but i got her registered in the IMHSPS and we are working from there. It is hard work and a bit of money but having it registered means that you can show and breed and this can also help start you off. I look at it as my mini being my first step she has started from nowhere and if i do well with her she might even become something better with a started blood line. Good Luck

Latest posts

Back