Anybody use Black as Knight

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin1

Reaction score
Have you used it? Does it help?

Thanks,

Robin

It's basically paprika in alfalfa. You can just use the paprika from the grocery.

It does help if you start using in the Spring and continue through Summer.

It will keep most of them a deeper color but they still fade some in the summer.

I use to feed to my walking horse, haven't needed it on the minis as we body clip so often.

It depends on the horse. My friend used it on her Friesians... one she thought it might have worked on, one it made more orangey colored.

The photos they have in their brochures are dubious to me, too... in one picture they have a horse in their winter coat... and in the blacker "after" picture it has a new summer coat in. Everyone knows when the winter hair is "old" and ready to shed, it's bleached and not as dark... and a brand new summer coat hair is shiny and black naturally.

I suggest a good feed program that is high in fat, keep them out of the sun, and (I'm having problems with this here...) if you can keep them not stalled or keep deep bedding that would be good because my mare lays in her pee spot and the urine bleaches her coat :DOH!

Andrea

Yep the sun is a killer- and the pee. When I was involved in showing the big ones, knew many folks who only turned their horses out at night for free excercise or pasture, to keep them out of the sun. And yes, the winter coats before shedding are just gross too... Hmmmm, an orangey black, bet that was interesting color....
default_wacko.png

Some are just "blacker" than others but, having 7 black ones.........I find flaxseed to have been the most helpful for intense color on everyone (all colors). Plus a fantastic shine.

I thought the working ingredient in "black as night" is Sage and not paprika. Paprika is what is used in "gold as sun" for a red based horse.

I"m also dubious about the photo..lol if you look at their "Before and after" photo's it's aweful funny how the product makes the background darker too! LOL I guess their product must make the aura around them dark too huh? LOL

I thought the working ingredient in "black as night" is Sage and not paprika. Paprika is what is used in "gold as sun" for a red based horse. I"m also dubious about the photo..lol if you look at their "Before and after" photo's it's aweful funny how the product makes the background darker too! LOL I guess their product must make the aura around them dark too huh? LOL
I've used it and will again this year. I don't have my bucket in front of me, but I'm thinking it is paprika that is in Black as Night - the non-show version (which I use even on my show horses). Maybe it's sage that's the primary ingredient in the show version?

I haven't owned a black horse until this year, but I've used it on my red horses to make them redder and I thought it really worked. Cheval now has a formula specifically for red horses I believe, but personally I loved the black one for my red horses.

Latest posts

Back