Anybody ever broke a horse to ride?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashley

Reaction score
How hard is it and whats involved? I want to eventually get another big horse.....after all of the minis are sold. Everything that is in my price range is older than I want. After having to put one down this winter and my big boy now getting old I dont think I can handle any more oldies but goodies. I thought about getting a foal or a yearling and doing the work myself.

I have broke minis to ride and drive, but I know a big horse isnt anything like a mini. It probably wouldnt be until next year that I do this if I do and was just wondering what I would be in for?

I Thought about breeding our big horse mare and raising the foal for ourselves but I can buy a foal for cheaper. Plus I honestly dont care if its grade or not.

I've trained a good many horses to ride, and I have to say that it really does depend on the individual horse as to how hard it is. Some horses are extremely easy to train, others are much more difficult. Some are agreeable, others are contrary; some are very placid, others are nervous & very prone to spooking. Some will buck you off (or try to) if anything doesn't suit them, others would never think of trying to buck. And of course it depends on the experience level of the rider too--what a very experienced rider finds 'easy' may be very difficult for a novice or timid rider.

Yes, I have. If you've never backed (broken) a horse, don't do it yourself for the first time. Send him/her to a reputable trainer that knows what they're doing. Go and watch/help, learn. It has to be done properly; there are a lot of messed up horsey minds out there from someone that thought they could do it themselves. There are a lot of horses out there that are very cheap/free that aren't that old. I'm actually going to look at a quiet, 8 year old, stunning chestnut thoroughbred mare on the weekend. She's $1000. ,

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I've raised and started several....if you have the right horse and lots of patience, it's fun and very rewarding but as already posted much depends on the individual horse and the rider's experience level. Matt's advice is good - find a good trainer (very important to get referrals!!) and get at least 60 days..........it will be money well spent to get a solid foundation on the youngster, and you can gain a world of knowledge by watching, riding with them and just picking the trainers brain in general lol. All that said, there are trainers and then there are trainers out there.........some do more harm than good as evidenced in the news lately.

Jan

Sure Ash, I've trained up plenty of big horses too but I don't advise it for you at this time. Why? Because once you get a good foundation for your green horse, the rest of it is a case of mileage.Whether you get your horse back from a trainer, or do it yourself, its a daily thing to keep him going; at least 45 minutes or so a day at the very least 5 or 6 days a week for a good while; not just an occasional ride here and there. It's all about commitment and with the baby and your busy schedule, you'd have to really ask yourself if you have that kind of time to invest in keeping up with the riding to get a finished horse you can trust and enjoy. And lots of times just when you think you got them going so good, kaboom, they will start testing you. Not all, but some, and you'll need to stay on that type of thing too. Instead, I'd highly recommend you check into the local rescue groups in your area and even visit and auction to see what is out there. Good broke horses are not all old. Not that I trust auctions, but times have changed now with the bad economy and people are very desperate and being forced to give up a good horse. I get people wanting me to take their horses around here all the time and lots of times there is just nothing wrong with them at all; there's just no money to care for them anymore; same with the rescues who are over flowing with super nice mounts that can suit your purpose. Good luck to you and hugs to baby.

I second what everyone else has said. When I was young and dumb I used to do it for spending money....until it landed me in the hospital with a back injury that still bothers me 10 years later. It can be a very rewarding adventure. It can also be not the smartest thing you ever did. With the huge surplus of horses out there, and many are cheap, I'm sure you can find a nice well broke horse for little pocket change. And save yourself the time, energy, and possibly a ride in an ambulance.

I do know of a couple trainers so sending them out wouldnt be in issue. I was thinking of getting a foal or yearling(probably a foal as they are cheap to give away around here). I could do all the basic stuff with it, then when it comes to the hard part send them out to somebody.

The cheapest thing in this area I have found lately is $1000 and the horse was 20. I dont want to go that old. I found a couple that were 7-8 but they wanted $2500 for them.

And I am not thinking of getting another horses until next fall.

Marty, as for time, honestly thats not really and issue. You would be amazed at how well I can multi task. I just dont sleep much. I am still able to spend 2-3 hours a day with the horses.

My plan is also not to get another big horse until the minis are all gone. THen I would have 3 big horses and the pony. I am not sure how much time my old guy has left as he is already 25.

Oh my, it's a BUYER'S market out here in Iowa, I could get my hands on a bazillion nice broke younger horses for around $1000 or even less in many cases. Way cheaper than taking a gamble on one to send to training, as well as the med bills if you get hurt. I'm surprised Minnesota's market is that much different than Iowa's.

I bought a green horse this past year as I believed my horse friends who told me I was ready (had oldies up till then). Well, I wasn't, not really, and didn't have the time/confidence to train consistently on top of everything else in my schedule. When I did have the time I just wanted to relax and get on and go and have some fun, and I never got to do that last year. Now I'm expecting and the well broke horse I traded the green mare for is just going to sit in the pasture this summer. Should have bought one like him last year from the start and I would have had a lot more fun! Dumb move on my part.

I'm going to sound like a wet blanket, but even if you've started 100 riding horses, it is STILL a great way to end up seriously injured (or worse...). Even if you are awesome in training minis, great at understanding how horses work, and an excellent rider, it's still a great way to become disabled if you aim to start a fresh full size horse. In consideration of yourself, and your family -- I'd wait until something affordable and well broke comes along... who will take care of your family and animals if you are disabled or worse?

Ash I got to tell you to pay attention to what Jill has just said. I didn't bring it up and it may not apply to you but once I became a mother, I got pretty darn selective in what horses I rode. Suddenly, riding a colt with an attitude was not an option any more. The idea of a horse getting too goofy on me and busting me up would have left me out of operation and not able to take care of my babies so do be very careful in your decision. HUGS.

I'm going to sound like a wet blanket, but even if you've started 100 riding horses, it is STILL a great way to end up seriously injured (or worse...). Even if you are awesome in training minis, great at understanding how horses work, and an excellent rider, it's still a great way to become disabled if you aim to start a fresh full size horse. In consideration of yourself, and your family -- I'd wait until something affordable and well broke comes along... who will take care of your family and animals if you are disabled or worse?

Exactly Jill! Let me tell you about my last ride.....I'm a young 20ish married woman. I was starting a 3 yr old QH cross and had 90 days on her (30 days ground work 60 days under saddle). This mare hadn't offered to buck once. Then this one beautiful afternoon she changed my life. Everything went as normal. In the round pen we go, did some ground work, then up in the saddle. Everything was going fine. Working at the walk and trot. Suddenly at the TROT, this mare goes into a bucking frenzy. I do my best saddle bronc riding trying to ride her out. I finally loose my balance and fall hitting my head. Didn't hurt, just peeved me off. Caught the mare, checked my tack for anything that could have upset her, and started to get back on. My butt had hit the seat, but my right foot hadn't found the stirrup yet. Full fledge bronc bucks all the way around the round pen and I go flying off at least an extra 8 feet into the air, and land squarely on the back of my pelvis.

I don't know if anyone has landed squarely on the back of their pelvis from at least 12 feet up, but it will knock the life out of you. I thought I had broken my pelvis. I'm pretty calm in these situations, so I didn't move as I laid there in the dirt (the mare still in the round pen now had the saddle dangling off her side). I wiggled my toes and my fingers, good spinal cord is still intact. I then slowly tried to sit up...couldn't move. So, keeping my shoulders and pelvis even, I rolled onto my stomach and tried to get to my knees. couldn't get to my knees. Had to belly crawl, using my arms and not my legs, to the fence and pulled myself up on the fence bracing myself with my arms (gymnastics in elemantry school finally paid off). I then grabbed my phone and dialed 911.

To this day, I have back problems. I ended up walking away from the hospital w/o any major injuries. But it's cost me a lot as I've gotten older. I have sciatica in my right hip, chronic back pain, and bills I'm still paying off. It's helluva a lot easier to just go buy a good broke horse. You can still get dumped, but the chances are lower.

Thanks everybody, have some stuff to consider. Good think it will be a year or so.........I like to think things out.

YEs I am suprise at the prices of horses up here. HOwever the sales havent started up yet this year and when they do I will be going, just to look and see how things are going. I got my ol boy at a sale, couldnt be happier with him, I just want a step up from him is all.

I have to agree with marty on this one. I used to LOVE the wild and crazy horses that went totally nuts. I rode them without a problem and never was bucked off. After I had kids everything changed. I was nervous riding horses that I rode a million times before. Why, because in the back of my mind I kept thinking I Cant afford to get hurt who will take care of my kids. Everything changed. For instance, I finally got my nerve back a few months ago and started to ride our draft cross daisy again. She already had more than 60 days of training and I had been doing a few trail rides here and there with her and she was doing GREAT! And with the young ones like daisy is you cant get to comfortable. I was riding her in our pasture and asked her to trot she wanted to canter and I kepts slowing her down in a tighter circle. She didnt like this to much and would give a little buck her and a bigger buck there. I just rode though it not thinking to much about it. Then as I asked her to trot again and began to turn her so that she would go to fast she did a capriole one of the airs above the ground where the horse will jump straight up into the air and while airborn kick out with their back feet and land on the ground again. As she jumped up I thought ok... I can sit this but I was not prepared for the buck while in flight and I flew straight over her head infront of her where she ended up stepping on me. I thank God that I wasnt seriously injured and that I just had a bad bruise for a few days on my ankle but it could have been much worse especially since she had shoes with borium plates for the road. I layed on the snow thinking .... #1 is my leg broken...#2 how am I going to get the horse...#3 I need to get back on the horse because she cant think she can just buck me off.. and #4 how am I going to get to the house. I ended up getting back on her and just walked her around for 10 minutes as I thought of how I should get to the front door. I havent ridden her since that day because I realized that she needs more training and I cant afford to get hurt with my kids so I have to send her somewhere. I have since driven her in a cart, but driving is totally different than riding.

My 2cents worth, After going thru a few horses looking for the right one for my daughter, I learned real quick that it is well worth the saving up the money, buying the totally stable and trained horse is way cheaper in the long run than paying someone else to train your horse. Plus the money you will spend to raise a young one for the two or three years necessary and vet bills. You won't be able to ride it for that long so if you put that money in a savings account and wait for the perfect horse you will probably come out ahead plus you won't have any injuries to heal from.

Hope this helps you in some way with your decision.

On a budget I think the smartest thing you can do is by a broke horse. Deals are out there right now you just have to be patient and put the word out when you are ready.

The money spent on ust bringing up a baby while it is essentially unusable you can save for a broke horse you can get on and ride right away

I 'broke' my first one when I was 14, 53 years ago...and she turned out quite nicely, even though I still had a lot to learn.

I've started and brought on a good number since then--for myself. Not any more, though...too old, too brittle, have had too many 'close calls'. I am a good rider, but that doesn't mean no horse could 'dump' me--my cracked ankle and broken collar bone attest to that! Most painful was coming off a bareback pad due to a simple but lightning-quick SHY, while on a well-'broke' gelding...landed HARD on my tail bone, could hardly MOVE for a couple of days(at home, in my own bed, thankfully!)

Nowadays, if I were you, and looking for a good solid riding horse, I'd 'shop' some of the better rescues--the ones that actually realize that a horse needs a reliable skill in order to have a good chance at a home. Check the rescue's reputation FIRST, and thoroughly, then let them know exactly what you want...in this economy, if you aren't in a hurry, you should be able to find something very suitable...I follow a NW-based blog where there are frequently reports of solid horses showing up in rescue; you could afford to have one shipped from a reasonable distance, still come out OK on cost, IMO.

Margo

Back