Any suggestions on.......?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magnolia_dream

Reaction score
more when driving in the pony cart?
unsure.gif

I asked this question on here a while ago. Pretty much what I figured out was that a horses movement is a horses movement. You can enhance it somewhat by keeping him in your hands while pushing him forward with your voice and reins or whip. Don't push him too hard, but a little bit will make him engage his hind end more, thus he should gain a little more movement for you. Just remember a horse is only going to give you what he is made to and some just don't have the movement of others. Hopefully someone who drives more than I do can come on and help you some more.

I think you pretty much have to work with what is natural to the horse. Some people will use weighted boots or chain boots, or feet trimmed at unnatural angles to modify somewhat the way the horse moves (not me, though). I have some horses that move like country pleasure horses and some that move like single pleasure horses (more animated), but a horse doesn't need to be exagerated to be a beautiful mover.

I agree withthe other two replies. It doesnt hurt to try chain boots and weighted bell boots though. Just remember they are not allowed at shows.

Secret Hills Ranch said:
I agree withthe other two replies. It doesnt hurt to try chain boots and weighted bell boots though. Just remember they are not allowed at shows.
508403[/snapback]

Actually it can hurt! Remember the fad a few years back when people were jogging with weights in pads that they wrapped aroung their wrists and ankles? It fell out of fashion because it was damaging their tendons and muscles. Works the same way on horses although lots of people use them. You can break a young horse down if you go too far.

MiLo Minis said:
Secret Hills Ranch said:
508403[/snapback]

Actually it can hurt! Remember the fad a few years back when people were jogging with weights in pads that they wrapped aroung their wrists and ankles? It fell out of fashion because it was damaging their tendons and muscles. Works the same way on horses although lots of people use them. You can break a young horse down if you go too far.

508612[/snapback]

Yes i know i didnt mean that i would use those. I think that chain boots and such are in-humane I just wanted some tips for getting her to pick her feet up more. On another board they told me that driving in deep snow would help, but only for a short while because it tires the horse much more quickly.

Latest posts

Back