any sourdough bread experts out there?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdtexas

Reaction score
Hey, want to make some homemade sourdough bread, by hand, no machine. I've read many recipes and so many different ones to make your starter!!! Some have sugar, some are just flour and warm water, not even yeast?

And where in my house can I let it sit for 3 days for proofing that has a room temp. of 80-85 degrees?

thanks for any help. Also once I make the starter then could use a good bread recipe. Would like to make some as gifts for neighbors for the holidays.

I don't have anything to offer here, but I AM going to be anxiously watching this thread. I love to bake and am fairly good at bread, but I've always wanted to do sourdough. Also, the hubby and I ate at Lowell's in Pike Place Market in Seattle on Saturday for breakfast and they had some sourdough pancakes that looked wonderful. I'd sure like to give that a try too.

Thanks for posting this query and I look forward to seeing what you 'stir' up!! :bgrin

Jayne

Sourdough Starter

2 cups Flour

2 cups wamr water

1 package dry yeast

Combine ingredients and mix well. Place in a cermaic crock. Place in a warm place or closed cupboard overnight. In the morning put 1 cup of the starter in a scalded pint jar with a tight lid and store in teh refrigerator or a cool place for future use. This is the sourdough starter. The remaining batter can be used immediately for pancakes or whatever.

To use the starter again, place it is a medium sized bowl, this is called setting the sponge.

Add;

2 cups flour

2 cups milk

and set in a warm place to develop overnight. In the morning the batter will have gained 1/2 again it's bulk and be covered with air bubbles. It will have a pleasant yeasty smell. Now, set aside 1 cup of the sponge in the refrigerator in your ceramic crock, for use next time.

:saludando: I've been reading this board for a few years now, but never registered. I just had to register today so I could say THANK YOU to kdtexas for posting this topic. Every year I fully intend to make the Amish Friendship Bread for Thanksgiving Dinner and I can never remember to get the starter started in time. After reading this topic this morning, I quickly got the starter going and now I can get the bread baked the night before Thanksgiving....

THANK YOU!!!

(edited to add: I keep my starter in a Ziploc bag on the counter next to the refrigerator, it gives off just enough heat to help the yeast ferment)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back