Any issues gelding when it is cold out?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carolyn R

Reaction score
I have had a lot of gelding procedures done, gelded all the boys that left here when I was breeding, even my senior stallion when I stopped breeding, but I don't ever recall gelding when it was cold out. It is time for my gypsy vanner colt to be gelded and was wondering if any of you have ever had any issues gelding in the winter. It will probably be the beginning of March until they pencil me in. The weather can do just about anything but the super low 10-15 degree weather should be gone and it will most likely be 25-35 degrees. The procedure will be done in doors at the clinic, so he will be in a temperature controlled environment when the procedure is done. He is stalled overnight and is kept in in very bad weather.

I was just curious if there are any pros or cons or red flags to gelding this time of year. He wasn't quite "filled out" enough in the late fall, my vet said if he wasn't being an idiot, she preferred to wait until February or March. He is fully dropped and ready to go, and while he is a sweetie, it's time for his boys to go since he is beginning to show some early stud like behavior (FYI, he'll be one at the end of April, so it is deffinately time for him to be gelded).

From a medical standpoint, I really don't know. I've usually done them in the spring as soon as weather permitted, but I've only had 3-4 horses gelded. The only time weather was an issue is when I had my current AQHA gelding done; it was in the spring, I want to say May (it was 9 years ago, so timing a little fuzzy); it was gorgeous when we had it done, then the next day we had a freak snowstorm that dumped several inches on the ground. Moved him to the barn and handwalked him at least 2x daily if not more. He healed just fine.

As long as he gets the required exercise, he will be fine at near freezing (plus or minus a few) temps. I have had them done and vet told me that it wasn't a problem. Better than too warm with flies and such.

I gelded a boy in late fall and we had the temperatures you are going to have. My vet actually prefers to geld when it's colder out. There were no problems at all with the surgery or his aftercare. In fact it was easier than I could have ever imagined.

I had 1 done in winter and we had some isses.It was freezing cold and couldn't hose him as often.If I were doing it with weather being so unpredictable I would wait until early April.He will need to get lots of exercise to avoid swelling.I always had castration done according to the signs of the knees or feet.In 20+ years of breeding onky ever had 1 issue.Just my opinion.

Anesthesia and sedation cause dilation of skin blood vessels and leads to loss of heat. There certainly is a temperature under which anesthesia becomes dangerous and for me that is under 20'F.

Larger animals have a lower surface to mass ratio and thus lose less heat, so a Gypsy would do better at cooler temperatures than would a Pony.

I doubt you will have any trouble in March in PA.

Dr. Taylor

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the input, pretty much what I figured, just wanted to make sure that I know any potential red flag issues ahead of time.

I gelded one of my gypsy horses in the fall and another in the spring...the only problem with the spring was that on somedays the water was REALLY cold when he got hosed off and he really didn't appreciate that...

Sandi

I don't hose my geldings, so that would not be a problem, but I don't think I would geld once it got frosty- too much relies on the horse moving around normally and drinking well to have to worry about that sort of thing as well as his having an operation.

I don't hose mine either. My vet said it was only necessary if there was a lot of swelling that did not go down with a small bit of exercise.

I don't hose mine either, so that is not an issue. I have done one winter gelding; it was a real mild day, about 28F, snow on the ground (we laid him down in a bed of dry straw)--nicest recovery we ever had--with no dirt/dust/mud/bugs he stayed nice and clean and healed quick and easy.

I just had a 6 year old Shetland gelded 1.5 weeks ago. The Vets main concern was temperature outside, I got lucky and it was a in the 50's day. When I made the appointment we just considered the temp but I got the feeling it was more for us humans standing around outside rather than the pony LOL. I have to make another appointment in another week or so to get his teeth floated. All is going well with his healing from being gelded, since he was 6 years old he has quite an empty "sack" so it threw me for a minuted when I checked the progress it hung down. I've never had an adult pony gelded, He was slower for a few days but now he seems to be acting normal. I cant wait for him to cool his jets so he can intergrate with my other two boys.

I just had a 6 year old Shetland gelded 1.5 weeks ago. The Vets main concern was temperature outside, I got lucky and it was a in the 50's day. When I made the appointment we just considered the temp but I got the feeling it was more for us humans standing around outside rather than the pony LOL. I have to make another appointment in another week or so to get his teeth floated. All is going well with his healing from being gelded, since he was 6 years old he has quite an empty "sack" so it threw me for a minuted when I checked the progress it hung down. I've never had an adult pony gelded, He was slower for a few days but now he seems to be acting normal. I cant wait for him to cool his jets so he can intergrate with my other two boys.
Thanks for sharing. He would be going to their facility to get the procedure done, so it would be in an indoor heated area. I am waiting until this current cold snap is over to schedule the appointment.

Just did one last Monday - temp here was "warm" for this time of year, about 20F. Went to the vet clinic, so the procedure was done in an indoor heated area, waited until he was fully out of anesthesia to take him home. The next day it was high of 1F. Kept him in the barn, no problems. Had very little swelling (pretty much none) and no complications, vet thought the cold would help keep the swelling down and I think it did. I have room in my barn aisle to walk horses, so I was able to exercise him as needed, while still being inside. I think sometimes because we are cold, we assume our horses are : ) Mine are used to going outside every day if the temp is above 0, and the wind is not from the south (the only direction they don't have a windbreak from), so they are accustomed to the cold. Other than ensuring he was completely out of the anesthesia before I took him home, I didn't do anything special due to the cold.

By the way, I normally would have waited until it was warmer, but my travel schedule for work wouldn't let me - I wanted to ensure I was here for a period of time after he was gelded. So while I probably wouldn't recommend gelding when it's as cold as it was here, at least for me, it didn't cause any real problems.

There have been a couple of times when we've had to hose / rinse a horse. For us, so far, neve a younge one, but whe we've had to do it, we've been happy the weather wasn't cold.

I think march is the best time of year in PA to geld. Watch for when the weather is supposed to stay decent for a few days. Ive never had a vet want me to cold hose, actually they insisted no baths for 2 because they wanted to keep the area as dry as possible. We usually start getting flies in april, and I like to geld before fly season. I also like them to move around after being gelded, and in warmer weather my horses tend to just stand and melt in the heat. I did have one gelded in september because he was being studdy, and wished I waited as we still had flies, and it was hot, couldnt hose him down the days he was sweating.

Latest posts

Back