any goat breeders here?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iluvwalkers

Reaction score
[SIZE=12pt]we have 2 nigerian dwarf wethers that are 6 weeks old (mothers had to many so we are bottle feeding) and the man we got them from stopped today to give them their tetnus booster. he gave them their shot then put big tags in their ears...ouch...he said he has to do it, N.Y. state requires a record of what he sells. i have looked up a few things tonight and from what i have read, these 2 pet wehters don't need them, i could be wrong though...does anyone know if i have to keep the tags on and if i don't how the heck do i get them off??? they are horrible and hang in their eyes, i am afraid they will poke or scratch their eyes with them. thanks for any info. Nikki [/SIZE]

.he said he has to do it, N.Y. state requires a record of what he sells. Nikki [/size]
Sorry I don't know NY state law, but wouldn't a bill of sale cover this issue? [in Montana, the brand inspection office would be the place to call for information about this, don't know who you'd call in NY. Maybe the same, may be someone else.]

What kind of ear tag did he put in their ear? Metal? Rubber/plastic?

[Can you show a picture of the tags? would help with how to remove, if you are allowed.]

[SIZE=14pt]they are white and are plastic triangles (rounded edges). does that help? i will post a picture in a minute. thanks, Nikki
default_smile.png
[/SIZE]

249585809.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
They are probably a scrapies(sp?) tag. And yes by law to sell them they need it. Its to trace back any dieseases to the farms if need be. So no I wouldnt be takeing them out.

It could be. It is Michigan's law too. It stinks. You can tattoo them instead, at least here, but the number on the tag must be put into one ear, it can't be split up and it is like 10 digits long! Mine are also Nigerians and there is just not that much room in their little ears! Also you must carry the tag with you at all times, if you travel, so what's the point?!

At least the tags are a little better than they used to be. They were even bigger and would get caught and rip out of their ears or become infected. I have had the new tags in for 2 years with no problems. I think it stinks and wish they would allow microchips instead! Oh, by the way, they are scrapies tags, at least here in Michigan. Before scrapies, it was for TB, which they finally decided was not passing to goats from deer like they feared. So now they have moved on to something else.

Vicki

I am in Michigan and last spring I bought my first goat. The girl I bought my wether from sent me his tag in the mail , it looks alot like the one you have. It is a huge plastic one , I did not put it on him . I keep it on his papers with the farm name and number that he came from. I didn't have the heart to punch that huge thing in his ear ! I don't breed and he isn't leaving my farm so I didn't see the point. I know that the laws are pretty strick on the tags though and if I was into breeding I would have to register my name and get my own ID # with tags to mark all of my goats .

I also bought an older doe that is marked with a small metal ear tag , it is much nicer than those huge plastic ones.

What a cute face!
default_wub.png
:

That is sad that they have to wear those ear tags (omg, what if the laws started required those for HORSES?? ugh!) Maybe as they grow the tags will be less annoying to them? I just hope that they don't get infected or get ripped out, as some have said can happen...

What a cute face.

Too bad they don't use the small metal tags for this issue, like they do for Bangs vaccination for cows. The bangs tag is a metal tag about 2.5" long and 1/2" wide, you don't hardly see them on the cow, unless you are looking (they also tatoo the tag number inside the ear, in case the tag is lost).

Well if they were mine I would cut the tags with wire cutters and keep them in a safe place with all of the information and records for them. That way you still have them if anyone needs to see the info, chances are if you are just a hobby owner and not a breeder you will never have to worry!! If they are for the id government thing then you really have no need for them, I just read that they are not requiring that anymore!! They decided it was to hard to make even the pet owners do it!!
default_yes.gif
:

No they don't need those big ugly tags!

They need to be identified but mine were tattooed by the breeder. I saw her do it, it was simple and looked painless and now you can't notice it.

All goats sold do need identification but maybe you can ask the seller if he can tattoo them instead?

He is awfully cute!

I personally would not be takeing them out because if anybody ever questions it, its the breeders butt on the line if you take them out.

We have lots of goats here, most all of have tags in. The only time we took one out(and yes a new one was put in later) was because it was infected when we got her. OTher wise we havent had any tear out or get infected.

Edited to add..........here is what I found ont he net for your state

Other aspects of the eradication program include identification of sheep and goats with official USDA scrapie tags in:

Sheep and goats of any age being sold for breeding or as a pet

All sheep and goats being exhibited

All sheep and goats (wethers included) over 18 months old, in slaughter channels. This includes animals going to a livestock market or directly to a slaughter plant.

Producers must also keep good records including names and addresses of purchases and sales of sheep from the flock.

So, if the USDA wanted to check up on the breeder/seller and came to peoples places who had these animals and you didnt have the tags in that breeder could very well get in trouble. I dont know about you, but to me it wouldnt be fair to put the breeder at risk

[SIZE=14pt]i called the USDA today and believe it or not a human answered the phone :bgrin . she was very nice ang a hobby goat owner herself. she told me that the tags are to track mad cow, if the breeder had an outbreak the USDA would take his records and contact everyone owning his goats. she said the only way an inspector would come to my home was if the breeder of my 2 wethers had an outbreak, they would come here to get them. i asked what would happen if the breeder had an outbreak and the USDA came to my home to take my 2 boys and found their tags had been removed? she laughed and said i could be fined for removing them but that was very unlikely since i am not breeding or selling. she also said the breeder would NOT get in trouble as he has no control over what happens after they are sold. as i said she has goats and hers are not tagged, she said she has the tags and gun and if she sells them the tag and gun will go with them and the new owners can decide weather to do it or not. she was funny...she said i should have got some with out tags :eek: . Nikki[/SIZE]

Glad to hear that you found out about the tags but did she have any suggestions on how to remove them ? Just curious. I have three goats and the only one that has a tag is my old doe and it is a small metal one. It doesn't really bother her or me ! I am so glad that I didn't have the breeders tag my other ones . They were awful big square white plastic things !

[SIZE=14pt]my husband talked to someone at work and they told him what to use, when i got home tonight they were off :aktion033: . i'm feeling all wild and crazy, i might just go and rip the tags off my pillows and mattress now. Nikki[/SIZE]

That's fantastic ! :aktion033: Now you can really enjoy cuddling those sweet little heads !
default_wub.png
: Whoever decided the style of tag for them should have to wear one themselves !

Just remember if you decide to sell them you will have to become part of the program and retag them before they leave your place.

They sell a cheap plastic ear tag remover, it is plastic with two razor blades that make a "V". It is the safest way to remove them, and won't hurt the animal accidentally.

I like to buy the ear tag removers to cut open bales of hay (we have the nylon baling twine here).

Let me see if I can find a link.

I think they sell them at NASCO.

Andrea

Cheap Ear Tag Remover

Hey, it's cheap! Might as well order it if you want to remove the tags. (If they were mine, and pets, I would take the tags off, I think they are icky.)

Afterwards, it has lots of uses around the barn!

I buy them and I've never had an animal with ear tags!

Andrea

[SIZE=14pt]thanks for posting that link
default_yes.gif
: . i ordered one the day after i posted about this, it was about the same price. before i had a chance to tell hubby i had found the knife he had got them off
default_wacko.png
: . men! luckily he didn't hurt them and they both still have their ears :eek: . Nikki[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]my husband talked to someone at work and they told him what to use, when i got home tonight they were off :aktion033: . i'm feeling all wild and crazy, i might just go and rip the tags off my pillows and mattress now. Nikki[/SIZE]

Oh my gosh, this made me laugh so hard!

Latest posts

Back