Any donkey savvy people out there????

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, well it's been days of false labor however last night I'm stunned we didn't finally have a baby. She was laying down moaning for over over an hour (pics below) strangely I could see the baby pushing at her flank area, her vulva was extremely enlarged and swollen, I thought ok now this is it but then it all stopped, however this morning we have real golden wax (pic) first I've seen this thick stuff on her soooooo another uneventful day today?!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

In horses (so probably donkeys also) waxing usually means baby in 24-48 hours, but mares (jennies) don't read the books. She is very close. If she is a once wild jenny can you keep an eye on her from further away. Maybe people real close are causing her to hold out because she's not comfortable.

She looks close, but these jennies don't always follow our horsie mares time tables. I don't think you have long to wait, and I'm watching with excitement!!

Me too, keep us posted
default_smile.png

In horses (so probably donkeys also) waxing usually means baby in 24-48 hours, but mares (jennies) don't read the books. She is very close. If she is a once wild jenny can you keep an eye on her from further away. Maybe people real close are causing her to hold out because she's not comfortable.
She's honestly had no problem with us around her, I wish I could load videos so you could see, she follows us around and even grooms my daughters head when she's sitting with her, she's practically in our pocket already. I can touch her udders and sit with her when she's laying down, besides we don't stand and stare at her anyway, she's in a small pasture attached to our barn which I can sit in my bedroom and see everything she's doing without walking outside lol it's great!

Well feel free Chantab to offer any donkey info you think might be helpful lol she's our very first! I suppose burros being wild don't have the greatest color variety, however I saw a little jet black jack born to another adoptee a couple weeks ago

So here we are today, so cranky! With good reason I suppose. Her udders are pretty big, you can see them from the back, and this is how we're holding out tail today

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Can't wait!! Sorry she's cranky, but so happy she's moving ahead so nicely!! Come on little momma!!

Checking in again, and anxiously awaiting the birth of this little one!!

Checking in again, and anxiously awaiting the birth of this little one!!
Thank you so much, I was saddened by amysue"s post last night, I couldn't stop thinking of the pain and devastation she must have felt trying to get that baby out of her mare, I literally cried for her, the mare and the baby reading the story and looking at the pictures. Scared me a little too. It must be in the back of everyone's mind that's expecting a foal, anything can happen at any time. Anyway I just took a photo of her udders, she usually stands happily while I do but today she backed up a little and even lifted her foot very slightly. I have to tell you I was told she was the only burro that came through this peticular BLM that never once attempted to kick at them. They seemed to really want me to know how sweet she was. I guess newly capture and then they teach them to pick up all four feet they always get a warning kick at some point.

She was inside her barn stall which is attached to her pasture. She won't go in there on her own yet, only when we lead her or literally put a hay flake in there. But no she was standing in there all by herself giving me nasal neighs (that's what we call those donkey nose noises) not the heehaw lol anyway the pic was bad I'll try for another later but they were full. I can't help but think "is all this normal" even my vet said 24-48 hours after waxing is textbook, it's been 5 days. Also so many false alarms where her vulva is literally 2-3 inches swelled past her hindquarters and long enough to have that baby, then everything stops and her vulva shrinks before my eyes, I hope this is not due to a incorrect presentation and we have an uneventful deliver like now because I'm so exhausted from staying up late and waking multiple times through the night.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's an udder pic, a side view and a rear (she's pretty flat sided today don't you think) it's not letting me upload 3 pics on the same post so I'll continue them on another

image.jpeg

She is probably fine. She's testing your staying power and probably laughing when you leave. I have a mini mare that's bag has been huge for a week and now seems to have stalled out. She went from no bag to delivery last year in 22 days. This year we are going on four weeks. Since she is closer to the size of a riding horse, she shouldn't have too many issues like miniatures.

In the head on pic baby is riding off to one side but in the broadside shot she almost looks V'd. Meaning baby is positioning self for delivery. Doesn't mean she'll deliver today. I had a mare get V'd severel times a week before she popped.

Latest posts

Back