Any donkey savvy people out there????

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suebe

Reaction score
We adopted a donkey about a month and a half ago, no idea how far along. First donkey ever! Not sure if they move along pregnancy wise like horses or if they differ?! The very first pic (her through the pipe coral fencing) was taken shorty after we got her. The other pics were taken about 30 minutes ago. I've watched her huge belly go from a meatball to a much sleeker look so I figure she's pretty far along?! Any guesses as to how much longer I might have? Losing a lot of sleep checking on her through the nights, thank you

Almost forgot to mention she's just 3 years old and a maiden :O

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't push too much weight, donkeys are much more angular than horses and go from just right to obese pretty quickly. Donkeys tend to average closer to a year for gestation; but just like horses they don't read the book, so could surprise you. I've not foaled out a donkey, as I only have one; but I've been studying nutrition and care. My mini jenny gets grass hay and a low carb pellet (pretty much just a handful, so she doesn't feel left out when the mare she lives with is fed).

She was a BLM capture, very sweet, adjusted beautifully here. She's free fed and gets as much as she'll eat. She was easily eating 4 flakes a day the first month here and is now showing that less interest and picks all day rather then scarf out. She's been standing in a more secluded place last two weeks as well as laying down more, kicking and biting her belly. Her rear end has taken on a more boney look since the belly has started to drop

Chandab the BLM did give me that warning about watching her weight and yes like you said they are built way different then horses. I just chose to free feed when we got her because they had no idea how far along she was other then at capture in August she was pregnant, i figured she was in the last 3 months probably and needed that extra feed at this point. I just wish I knew how much longer we had, so frustrating

Best guess, donkeys running wild, probably foal in May/June, maybe as early as April to hit the first flush of grass; perhaps earlier in southern states where spring hits earlier. With nearly yearlong gestation, you could be seeing a baby sooner, rather than later. Signs should be pretty similar to horses, but donkeys do seem to be a bit more stoic, so she might not shows signs of discomfort like a mare might.

Free choice grass hay for a pregnant donkey is not likely to be an issue. [My mini jenny gets a handful of low carb pellets, so she doesn't feel left out when the mare she runs with is fed. She is a tad tubby, but some of our hay bales have a bit of alfalfa in them.]

Bureau of Land Management. They thin the heards of wild horses and burros. While it's a bit sad sometimes the herds become so large there isn't sufficient food or water. They are adopted out with thorough background and home or facility checks to insure proper homes

She is very cute! She looks in foal to me. She looks great and her neck and back do not appear to have the fatty tumor like deposits which are ususlly present in severly overweight donkeys. They usually carry a foal for 12 months, I have one that always seems to go a year and 3 weeks with no problems. Ours always seem to cycle, settle and foal on a schedule resulting in late summer and early fall babies, but that does not mean she won't foal sooner. As Chanda mentioned, the climate will play a part in regulating cycles. She should wax and then bag up and get loose around her croup before foaling. Being a maiden, she may not make a bag until she foals. Mine get very cranky and agitated a few days before foaling and keep to themselves out in the pasture right before baby comes, some even dig holes to lay in (we call them a $$ holes). If you have the vet out they may be able to give you a guestimate on how far along she is. Being a BLM animal, they may have records on her and those may give you an idea about a due date. Does she have an identifying brand? Do you know how long she has been out of the wild? If they can give you some info on her journey it may help, for example if you knew when she was rounded up, if and how long she was held/quarantined and if she was with a jack then or already separate, you may be able to better guess a due date by counting backward from the last time she could have been bred. If her belly has gone from wide and fat to egg shaped, the foal may be dropping and getting closer to foaling. Baby donkeys are sooo awesome, hope she has one in there!

She is very cute! She looks in foal to me. She looks great and her neck and back do not appear to have the fatty tumor like deposits which are ususlly present in severly overweight donkeys. They usually carry a foal for 12 months, I have one that always seems to go a year and 3 weeks with no problems. Ours always seem to cycle, settle and foal on a schedule resulting in late summer and early fall babies, but that does not mean she won't foal sooner. As Chanda mentioned, the climate will play a part in regulating cycles. She should wax and then bag up and get loose around her croup before foaling. Being a maiden, she may not make a bag until she foals. Mine get very cranky and agitated a few days before foaling and keep to themselves out in the pasture right before baby comes, some even dig holes to lay in (we call them a $$ holes). If you have the vet out they may be able to give you a guestimate on how far along she is. Being a BLM animal, they may have records on her and those may give you an idea about a due date. Does she have an identifying brand? Do you know how long she has been out of the wild? If they can give you some info on her journey it may help, for example if you knew when she was rounded up, if and how long she was held/quarantined and if she was with a jack then or already separate, you may be able to better guess a due date by counting backward from the last time she could have been bred. If her belly has gone from wide and fat to egg shaped, the foal may be dropping and getting closer to foaling. Baby donkeys are sooo awesome, hope she has one in there!
Hi Amy, you probably missed a few posts of mine above
default_smile.png
but here's what I know about her...she was rounded up August 2015, she was determined by a vet at that time to be in the 2 year old range and definitely already pregnant. She had numerous vaccines, was wormed and able to be adopted late January 2016 by us. Shes extremely sweet! Is leading very well and picking up all 4 hooves for us. She's been going off and hiding in the corner last couple weeks, has had on & off loose manure, bagging up and down, laying down a lot, kicking & biting her belly, the newest thing is rubbing her sides of her belly along the entire fence line, did you see all my photos above? What's your opinion of her bag? I've noticed her vulva has started to lengthen, it's longer then it was a couple weeks ago and more flaccid, also her tailhead and rear look way more boney and visible, appreciate!!! Do you think I need to be getting up through the night and checking on her or do I have a ways to go? Btw my vet has seen her but I don't want them palpating or anything invasive. She's new to the captivity world and I want to ease her in slowly, everything is a new experience for her and we have definitely gained her trust

So if in August she was confirmed in foal, that would make her atleast 8 months, but she was probably at least 2-3 mos along in order for them to confirm the pregnancy. The way you say she is behaving makes me believe you are going to have a lil one running around soon. So exciting!. Donkeys are such inquisitive creatures that if you spend a little time with the foal every day, he/she will most likely be an in-your- pocket personality and that may help her bond with you as well. Our donkeys think they are people.

I don't know anything about donkeys, per se, but I am following this thread with interest in how she progresses. So glad she has such a happy home!

Yesterday she rolled a lot! Last night when I went out to put her in the barn, which I've been doing every night just to be safe I noticed her vulva was very swollen past the hind quarters, I'll put a pic below. I read (yes I did google donkeys foaling since she's our first hahaha) and it said when that happens birth is imminent! It was also very loose!!! Her udders were so engorged they were triangular which was anothersure sign supposedly, pic below as well. Well now here we are the morning after, I just let her out of the barn, didn't look at her udders yet but her vulva is not swollen anymore and back to where it looks like it's just starting to lengthen WHAT YHE HECK! Is that normal?!!!! Amysue any thought since you seem to know your donkeys
default_smile.png
btw her belly looked different as well yesterday, much lower and bottom heavier

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

She looks very close. My maidens did this to me, a few false alarms later..along came the foal. The minute you turn your back, she'll spit that kid out.

If she were a mini mare, I'd say baby if "forward of center" and things are moving along quite nicely! Her swollen vulva could be from the pressure baby was giving her, and if baby shifted, then it would appear less swollen and puffy.

Can't wait to see what she's hiding in there for you!

Last edited:
Amysue I hope so! She really needs to "spit it out soon" hahaha, I literally put off leaving the house in fear I'll miss something!

"Castle Rock" that makes total sense thank you! I can't imagine a donkey is much different from a mini really
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back