Anxiety...what a week!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CZP1

Reaction score
I have had a heck of a week. I had a dog that was too overprotective of stranger. Had someone come over last weekend that has been to the house before and the dog had met him, well the dog got out of the door barked and went bizerk over the guy the guy had a bag and blocked the dog (mind you this man is a policeman) anyways, the dog went down the steps and wouldn't let the guy through. We have had similar incidents lately. So we decided that the dog needed a home w/no kids. So on Monday he went to his new home and has a fenced yard, a beagle for a pal and 10 cats. He couldn't be happier and the couple who took him know of his "issues" so that is ok, but I miss the guy. So we are getting a puppy in about 7 weeks. I am glad about that.

So today I take my big horse to a "show" it was a barrelshow (I don't barrel race) but they had a pee wee division where you could lead line your pee wee and run a barrel pattern and win $5.00. So off we went, hubby, my son, big horse and I. Unload - tack up - everythings is good, Patches (BH) was great. So I thought I would school him a little and mind you this is his first time (since I have owned him - I bought him in May) we got into the ring and he started crow hopping, bucking etc. all the people were astounded that there was a horse there who misbehaved! I circled, one reinstop etc. got him out of the ring and tried to ride but he was a total (*$%)(#(%)_#! So I got off to avoid a train wreck.

I bought him because he was a lesson horse before I bought him, I truck him in weekly at another barn - it is quiet and the instructor is great has brought alot of confidence back for my riding. Well even though I know it was his first time out etc. I just can't get over the anxiety of the whole thing. I got back into riding and sold one of my minis to buy this guy. Now I am wondering if I should even be riding. I am fine on the ground and have all the confidence but it is just isn't there when I ride. I broke my back in 1991 while riding, broke tailbone about 7 years ago. I have arthritus in my back and feet too. BTW Minis are the way to go I am realizing.

I already take a zoloft for anxiety, but this just stinks. I think I know what to do but I feel like I am totally giving up on this guy.

Thanks for letting me vent!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well Chris, you know how I feel about it, but don't react to quickly. Never do anything in haste. Take a couple of weeks and think about it and if you still feel the same way, then you can think about an alternative. But I would at least take him to a couple of more lessons and see what happens. Maybe the instructor could have some people there with their horses to just be there, could be a crowd setting that worries him. Either way you know where I am and you can always count on your friends.

Just be careful and don't get hurt again.

Thanks Karen, I have a lesson tomorrow and we'll see. Just one day at a time!!

Latest posts

Back