another pinto gene question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eagles ring farm

Reaction score
If a mare has both parents pintos. Sire is a frame overo / Dam has a bald face with blue eyes

But she shows no sign of pinto except a few hairs where a star would be, no blue eyes is it possible for her to have a pinto foal when bred to a solid stallion

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not genetics expert in the slightest but I'm learning. I'm assuming its possible since genetically shes a pinto she just doesn't show it. Obviously not as great of a chance as if the stud was pinto but I'm sure theres a chance she could have a pinto foal.

Depending on the genes she is carrying, yes, but coming from those genes, you really should test for LWO at least, and you can also test for tobiano and Splashed White as well if you like. At least then you will know if she is gentically a pinto or not. If she is genetically a pinto, then yes, she can throw pinto foals, even if bred to solid stallions.

I know an H/Z for Tobiano stallion that just has four small white socks, so yes, anything is possible. It is far more likely that she would pass on the suppressed form of Pinto that she is exhibiting, though, and have a "solid" with a star or some socks.

If the stallion was pinto the mare would not have to have any characteristics at all in order to have a Pinto foal, one parent is enough.

Even the fewest of white hairs on any horse, means they carry some form of white pattern. However, a very minimally expressed pinto pattern, when bred to a solid, most likely will also produce a very minimally expressed offspring. Not always, but is most likely. Given the background of your mare, I would definitely test her for LWO before ever breeding. It is most important, since even horses appearing solid, can test positive.

They do not actually even have to have a few white hairs- that is one of the problems, and LWO is the sneakiest of them all!

I have already bred her for 2013 to a solid stallion with no history of pinto

our other stallion has a blaze and white socks so we did test him lwo negative

but I will test her anyway to be sure she is a solid bay maiden these few hairs just showed up on her forehead in the past year

and she is 4 yrs old

thanks everyone

Latest posts

Back