Pinto experts color question-please :)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eagles ring farm

Reaction score
We have a mare

"Cedar Fields Awesome Coco Chanel"

(Cross Country Call me Awesome (Bay Frame Overo with a bald face and 1 blue eye) X JTR Little Sarah (Bald face and blue eyes)

She is a solid bay mare with just a real tiny star (only a few hairs) bred to our stallion Triple K Boogies Bow Tie (solid buckskin)

I was wondering since her parents are both pintos (sire very loud overo)

pics on our site I don't want to post their pictures as we don't own her Sire or Dam

If she has any possibility of producing a pinto even though she is solid or not likely?

just killing time waiting for her to foal she is due end of June and started to wonder

Last edited by a moderator:
We own a paternal half sister - the mare who produced Max - who has very little color but enough to be registered Pinto. Our mare is Lethal White + and there is a good chance your mare is also, because Awesome is. If she IS LWO+, then yes, she can produce pinto foals although the amount of color can vary from solid appearing to wild. On the other hand, it she is LWO+ and you breed her to a stallion that is also LWO+ then you have a one in four chance of having a lethal white foal.

Thank you Mary for the warning I believe Jennifer said she was test negative.

but I will check with her if not have her tested she is in foal now to a solid buckskin stallion so no worry this year

our other stallion even though he has white socks and a blaze tested lwo negative

but just nice to know when there is a possibility of LWO+

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you MindyLee and Mary

I guess my question is considering she is LWO Neg

is there any possibility of her producing color bred to a solid stallion or is it very unlikely

Thank you MindyLee and Mary

I guess my question is considering she is LWO Neg

is there any possibility of her producing color bred to a solid stallion or is it very unlikely
LWO- and bred to a solid she'll likely only produce similar marking to her own or perhaps slightly more. [Looking at Bow, he doesn't seem to have a stitch of white on him, so he won't likely add to the pattern possibilities.]

If she were LWO+, then perhaps she could produce pattern; since Frame seems to be the only white pattern that can go from minimal in a parent and produce lots of color in offspring even when the other parent doesn't have much color to add to the mix.

Latest posts

Back