Another leading question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I totally agree with rabbitsfizz. Some behaviors are best just ignored--ignore it and it soon goes away. Truly. Overreact and the behavior is likely to get worse instead of better. You are fretting too much over this matter! I don't really agree with letting whomever work with and discipline the horse for you. Sometimes that can be a good thing but other times not so much. I have seen too many cases where novice owners let someone else handle the horse--thinking that someone else knows so much more than the owner does--and in reality the someone else wasn't as good as they let on and they just made things worse --or created new problems. Yes, people truly think they are helping, but sometimes they aren't.

I'm inexperienced too and was alarmed when our 9mth old colt (not ready to geld just yet) started rearing up. I was't when we were leading him though, it was when he was free in the paddock and we were out there pottering about. My gut feeling told me that he was actually trying to play with us as we were out there with him in his playground and he had no horse friends to play with. We hadn't been planning on more than one mini but for Scooter's sake we bought another colt (who is being gelded this week) and he has completely stopped rearing with us - he does it lots with his new friend instead - and bites and nuzzles and rolls and does all types of unmannerly things - but Simba seems to love it and comes back for more
default_smile.png

I'm just wondering if your wee lady's problem is the lack of a friend to roughplay with? Maybe girls are different? As I say, I'm certainly no expert...

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got back, from being with Halo. It was super stormy..rainy and high winds, so didn't do anything with her, but neck scratches and fed her some feed, while holding the bucket. Was finally able to see the video of her, and it for sure wasn't her trying to play. I didn't ask for others to work with her. They are trying to help me. I'm not handing the training over to someone else. I didn't even know they were going to do that video of her, until I was told it was done. I can't get out there everyday, so they will turn out into the pen, for exercise. I thought that was all they were doing. Anyway, at least I've seen the video and know more of what in the world happened.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is amazing how special these little ones are.
default_smile.png

They work thier way in to our hearts.

They are wonderful little horses.

They were just waiting for us to realize that we needed them .

Little hooves, little body's , big hearts just waiting for us to find.

default_smile.png
:)
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back