Angular Limb Deformities

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taya

Reaction score
Hello

I was wondering if anyone can answer this for me.

Im wanting to know what usually causes angular limb deformities

In the scenario that both parents are fine with straight legs but the foal isnt.

Foal turning out from the knee in both front legs and a very symmetrical fault (a bone or joint problem not a farrier thing) back legs are fine

What can cause this?

1. Diet (lack of something)

2. Weight of mare whilst pregant (foal squished in uterus)

3. Recessive gene

Any thoughts or advice would be great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Taya

I had a filly that was out at the knees as a foal. From a few months old til about 8 months old. The vet kept telling me to leave her be until her chest springs. I did, and went she shed out as a yearling, she was perfect! So some times giving them a little time can fix it
default_rolleyes.gif

I also bought a filly that was born premmie out in a large paddock full of other mares. The mare had her up and running away from the other mares, until the breeder found her and bought them into a private paddock. Apparently the filly got stretched tendons from too much running on new, weak legs. They improved with time, but never came 100% (She is now a rising 3yo)

Id also imagine that all of the things you list are very possible also.

Hi Tanya, These also happen in the bigger breed horses.

There are possibly a few causes and all things need to be considered when trying to determine the cause of yours.

If it is just one front leg, it can often be the result of a foal that got its leg twisted somehow earily in utro.

The leg can get pinched due to a tight squeeze to where it will grow this way inside the mare.

I like to call this a type of angular deformity a birth defect rather than a genetic flaw, as it has no bearing on DNA.

Here is one such case, where one front leg was twisted.

Santanalegs.jpg

This filly came from two perfect parents, and both parents went on to produce two more foals with perfect conformation.

In my case with this filly- being the mares first foal, perhaps things were a bit tighter inside.

hope this helps.
default_saludando.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe that a lot of angular limb deformities in foals are caused by a nutritional problem. Both in the dam while the foal is in utero and even after the foal is born. An improper balance of vitamins/minerals. Many of your commercial feed products are formulated for full size horses and the minimal amounts a miniature receive are not adequate for proper bone and joint development. A diet/ration balancer is the best way to go, IMO, in feeding mares and foals.

Latest posts

Back