Angel, maiden mare's highly anticipated pregnancy!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd say that you have a Buckskin too - lucky you!! So glad you managed to get them out for a little run about, exercise is good for new Momma's but particularly for the babies and with your weather it cant be easy for you, so well done! How's Angel doing?

Keep those pictures coming - cant wait to see the video once you can send it to Cassie.
default_yes.gif

I haven't gotten the videos yet but here are some of her outside and the sleepy aftermath
default_smile.png
. Angel is being such a good mom and baby is the friendliest most curious foal- she went up to every person there (and

there were a lot) and wanted to say hi to all horses we had to stop her several times from going into the big horses pen to get better acquainted
default_smile.png

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Morning
default_smile.png
What a little sweet heart, you must be totally in love. I bet hubby has forgiven you now
default_yes.gif

Aww she is just so very cute - love those sleeping pictures!
default_thumbup.gif

Now that Hubby is feeling happy you wll have to ask him nicely to sort out your fencing and make you an ultra safe space for baby, remembering that these mischievious little foals will climb through/over/under anything to get where they want!! They are the perfect escape artists! LOL!!

oh that is very true Anna, there was a hole in the bottom of one of my fences and Finn when he was 3 months old got through there and into the backyard his mumma was going crazy as she couldn't get through there ( he had to squeeze to get through there himself) they will try anything to investigate a new place!

she is too cute! love the pic of her getting scratches! mega gorgeous

I'll upload to photobucket as soon as you send me the video no rush though as I'm about to go to sleep LOL ;)

night all

She is just such a lovebug
default_smile.png
and she has a better wardrobe than me
default_new_rofl.gif

She was just bucking and whizzing round the trailer
default_yes.gif
but she had to stop and top up on energy drink
default_smile.png

Oh darn Renee I missed it! And is just too cute I have a hard time taking my eyes off of her.

Anna and Cassie- our fence is pretty escape proof and hubby put up wire mesh on all the gates in preparation for baby before Angel and Nova even arrived in Alaska so she should be good but ill definitely keep a close eye on her
default_smile.png

I hope my friend hurries up and sends me that video I can't wait to share it
default_smile.png

here is video no 1
default_smile.png
so cute! http://s1083.photobucket.com/user/cassie_king1/media/Video_zpsef73a4a2.mp4.html

video 2. looks like she loves her "Daddy" http://s1083.photobucket.com/user/cassie_king1/media/Video2_zpsef345a3a.mp4.html

video 3.http://s1083.photobucket.com/user/cassie_king1/media/Video_zps1c4ae9c8.mp4.html

video 4. http://s1083.photobucket.com/user/cassie_king1/media/Video3_zpsb30bc843.mp4.html

Paula I'm still trying to do the 5th one but for some reason it saved on the side and it won't rotate for me... its fine on my computer... really weird!

Last edited by a moderator:
She is just adorable, you must be totally over the moon with this little Diva
default_smile.png

I am a bit worried though (cos I always worry about babies) so I hope you don't mind me telling you. First things is that her playing so close to the big horses with that kind of fence is really dangerous. You say that you are always there with her but that doesn't make any difference cos she is just too small to have full control and could get into trouble. I have a 100% foal proof fence yet one of my foals went right through it cos he arrived at a full gallop and couldn't stop, I just couldn't grab him in time. Also holding Angel whilst the foal plays is kind of cruel to Angel and you can hear her calling her baby. At this early stage they need to form a close bonding and baby needs to learn to obey mum and stay close. Only when Angel feels safe will she willingly let baby go off and play. When leading her out to their safe area, if baby will not follow obidiently past the big horses then carry her and once she gets too heavy put a headcollar and lead her quietly next to mum.

I say this with your babies safety at heart.

Hugs

Renee- we are doing the best we can. It is the time of year right now where there is mud everywhere and we are trying to keep baby out of it as much as possible so she doesn't get chilled. Angel is definitely allowed to be free and play with her the videos were taken on the way to where they were turned loose out of the mud. She was also never very far away at all- I was holding her and the camera so was quite close- part of the whinnying you heard was Nova and Angel calling to each other- though Angel did call for baby and we quickly reunited them. I certainly did not think we were cruel. They are certainly bonded and we don't want to impede that bond in any way but also want them both to get a chance to move around and stretch their legs in as safe an environment as possible (there were several people off camera that were not able to be seen that were helping to keep baby where she was suppose to be). We will continue to watch close especially by the big horses as I understand that that fence is definitely not baby proof and we will try to take more care in the future with her near it as I can see the potential for an accident to happen there. Very soon we should have the mini pen dry enough for baby to be in there with mama during the day as soon as it warms up where it is safe enough to do so.

I have upset you and believe me that was my last intention. ( I am bad at writting in English ) We all know here that you love your girls and you have been FANTASTIC with Angel throughout this journey. I was not in any way critisizing you or your hubby. I was just saying what I thought and as you say I couldn't see all so I apologise if I upset you. I would hate for anything to happen to baby so I felt the need to tell you what could happen as I have had my fare few babies and believe me you will learn very soon that mini babies are a nightmare
default_new_rofl.gif
If Angel doesn't teach her to obey in the first few days you will have serious trouble keeping her in line. You can let me know what you think in about 2 months.
default_yes.gif

Are we still friends
default_please.gif

The fence in the background is the one that one of my boys went straight through last year at a full gallop, poor guy was really shocked after.
default_sad.png

23 June 2012 005.jpg

23 June 2012 006.jpg

My post was meant to be educational and by no means derogatory. Oh God Anna, Diane helppppppppppp. Try and explain what I meant pleaseee
default_shutup.gif
default_shutup.gif

Calm down Renee! We all know that you had no intention of upsettng anyone, plus we also all know how brilliantly Angel and now her little filly have been/are now being cared for, loved and looked after.
default_yes.gif

I will openly admit that in seeing the videos, I also wanted to scream "mind that fence" at the screen, but I also realised that, due to the weather circumstances, the best possible was being done to give the little one a chance to stetch her legs, plus in an earlier post the correct fencing to the enlosure that they will use was mentioned. Hopefully the weather will improve and they can move into the 'safe' area very soon.

There is one thing to remember - foals dont 'focus' easily for the first couple of weeks or so, they go by scent. They can 'see' moving 'targets' but then can get confused when the 'targets' dont smell like their Mommas. This is why they need to bond closely with their dams during those important moments from birth (and why when everything is normal with a mare and foal, we leave them alone to get 'connected') and for the first few weeks. The amount of times I have been leading a mare and young foal from the stable to the field, to have the foal stop and look lost when Momma had only got three or four strides ahead. This can acually be quite dangerous as the 'lost' foal can suddenly take off looking for its Mommas scent, and if you follow with the mare, the foal often runs further away as all it 'sees' is a looming shape approaching before you get close enough for the scent to make contact. We usually quickly turn the mare round before the foal moves and get her to walk once again close to the foal (between us and the foal obviously) to 'pick it up' via her scent and to get it to re-attach before moving on to the field.

You are lucky in some respects that you have a very friendly foal, but be careful that she doesn't attach herself more to you than to Angel - when Angel calls to her at this stage, she should leave whatever she is doing and run to Momma, and she needs to learn this lesson if only for the fact that it is Mommas duty to keep her safe, and Angel will call to her in the future if she sees her approaching anything/anyone/any animal that she thinks is unsafe - baby needs to respond immediately at least for the first few weeks of her life until her eyesight is fully adjusted. Your little one could (and I only say could!) do a 'run into the fence' stint when you put her and Angel out in their new paddock - she may try to follow you as you leave and, in 'focusing' on your moving figure, she may not 'see' the fence and may crash into it.

I'm typing this in a bit of a rush so hopefully some of it makes sense. But please believe me when I say that no-one is trying to critisize you, we are simply and sincerely offering suggestions and experiences from our own years of breeding and foal handling. You are all doing an amazing job with Angel, you dedicated so much time to her on the run up to her foaling and were there for her and baby at the time when she needed your help. No-one could have done more in my opinion.
default_yes.gif

Keep those pictures (an videos where poss) coming - just love seeing that cheeky little madam that seems to have suddenly turned up on your doorstep!!

Beautiful videos!!! Such a cute little girl and dressed to kill!!! Gorgeous!!

Renee, I'm sure Paula understands you are only giving advice, as we all have had horrid outcomes when babies go through a fence they shouldn't. And Paula we know you are doing a fantastic job working around the mud you have, and we enjoy seeing that Angel and the little one are out getting the exercise they need. I feel for you and Chanda, who also has tons of mud, and we all hope the mud clears for both of you.

I don't know if you noticed, Paula, but Baby was showing submission to the big horses with her "mouthing" as she approached, so although she doesn't understand why -- she knows somehow she should not be by the big horses. I love that submissive mouthing -- sometimes done even when they meet a new horse in their own pasture. But it's also a way WE can notice who baby is feeling unsure about.

Angel seemed very calm with baby on the road/driveway, so keep those videos coming! I just LOVE seeing her!!

All will be fine when you can build them their own little "playpen" and watch momma and baby run about together!

Hey, have you chosen a name yet?? Or did I miss it. She's just beautiful!!

Renee I'm sorry you stressed so much about upsetting me- it was 1130pm and now that baby is born I don't have to stay up all night so I was sleeping and oblivious to all the apology notes- I just saw them this morning and only have a sec before I have to run off to work. I got up several times to check on her (for some reason the camera isn't working hubby will look at that today) but didn't think to check my email or the forum just baby quickly and back to bed. Please don't stress- I know you didn't mean any harm I just wanted you to know that I also was trying to make the best of a less than ideal situation. We do already have a safe pen all made up for baby (it was made before Angel even arrived in Alaska) but the bad weather out a kink in things and so the best spot right now is the cul de sac and driveway which means it is not safe to turn both mama and baby loose, though we have a little spot behind the house where we do but it doesn't seem big enough for baby to sprint around like she wants to so we take her for a walk first then put them there.

I did notice the danger with the big horse pen and that is why the camera suddenly stops and then reappears when baby is safely down the driveway and more care will be taken next time to ensure she doesn't just sprint off again. Please note that when in the cul de sac we do have at least two more people running border patrol and the first day we had her out there was 9 of us (yes she is a well loved baby) where she literally was circled with cameras in every direction and she seemed to love it going from one person to the other posing.

She is little miss independent and I'm sure that causes Angel some anxiety her seeming fearless causes me anxiety! I was glad to see her clacking her jaws (my two year old Friesian does that still everyone in awhile especially if around my dominant QH mare).

Thank you everyone for the suggestions and please know that we will do everything we can to keep this little one safe and healthy and sorry if my lack of response created some anxiety I was just enjoying getting some sleep in an actual bed
default_smile.png

Oh and no official name yet though we are leaning towards either Whisper or Wildfire (lol I know two opposites but she has two such different sides to her personality).

Latest posts

Back