New Mini Owner - Potentially Pregnant Maiden, Overweight Mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you, I will just keep a very close eye on her, not sure I have seen any movement, so that keeps throwing me off the idea that she is pregnant. Maybe that’s not always easily seen. Lucky the weather is so nice, can sit in the paddock and watch her for as long as I want!
Hey Joanna,
I was thinking the same thing with Bea. If you get a vet out, he may be able to do an ultrasound. My vet wasn't able to do it rectally but we were still able to see a bunch of fluid in her abdomen (which obviously if she hadn't been pregnant she would have been dead the next day) and things that looked like bones. I recommend checking her for an udder every evening, if she gets any vitamins at night then that is a great time to do it. She won't need grain until the foal is born but making sure she is getting all her vitamins and minerals is so important! Bea was a maiden mare too and she still bagged up about 5 days prior to giving birth. In my not-so-experienced opinion, your mare does look pregnant! On the "Eve" of Cora's birth, Bea started to drip milk at around 9pm and then gave birth around 11pm. I was checking on her every few hours instead of staying with her all night because I know they don't like to give birth while being watched and I didn't have a camera. I came down at 1am and there she was! Bea had already dried her off and she was standing and nursing. Bea has been such a good Mamma I'm so proud of her! I hope this helps, I will also post photos of Cora very soon, she is an angel!

Congratulations!! Can't wait to see pictuers

How's it going? Any changes?
Mine is still just fat! No one is sure if she is pregnant or not, vet popped in and had a look as he was passing but said he had no idea . More inclined to go with fat at the moment.....but maybe I will be able to post photos of a foal in a month or so!

Hey Joanna,
I was thinking the same thing with Bea. If you get a vet out, he may be able to do an ultrasound. My vet wasn't able to do it rectally but we were still able to see a bunch of fluid in her abdomen (which obviously if she hadn't been pregnant she would have been dead the next day) and things that looked like bones. I recommend checking her for an udder every evening, if she gets any vitamins at night then that is a great time to do it. She won't need grain until the foal is born but making sure she is getting all her vitamins and minerals is so important! Bea was a maiden mare too and she still bagged up about 5 days prior to giving birth. In my not-so-experienced opinion, your mare does look pregnant! On the "Eve" of Cora's birth, Bea started to drip milk at around 9pm and then gave birth around 11pm. I was checking on her every few hours instead of staying with her all night because I know they don't like to give birth while being watched and I didn't have a camera. I came down at 1am and there she was! Bea had already dried her off and she was standing and nursing. Bea has been such a good Mamma I'm so proud of her! I hope this helps, I will also post photos of Cora very soon, she is an angel!
Thank you for that info. Very jealous that you have a lovely little foal, well done! I am checking Star all the time and would love it if she was in foal but she really isn’t changing shape. I think I can see movement on the odd occasion but then put it down to guts and twitches as it’s bound to be wishful thinking.....never felt a kick or bump. Udders no change, shape no change, no softening of muscles at the back end.....not looking positive. The only thing in my favour is her big tummy but that should surely be growing inmthe last month?
Anyway it’s a real wait and see. Please put some photos up of Cora!
PS the vet did come and have a look but only a passing visit and not more than a feel, again, no movement felt, he said he didn’t know because she looks like she is pregnant but that’s it!

Thank you for that info. Very jealous that you have a lovely little foal, well done! I am checking Star all the time and would love it if she was in foal but she really isn’t changing shape. I think I can see movement on the odd occasion but then put it down to guts and twitches as it’s bound to be wishful thinking.....never felt a kick or bump. Udders no change, shape no change, no softening of muscles at the back end.....not looking positive. The only thing in my favour is her big tummy but that should surely be growing inmthe last month?
Anyway it’s a real wait and see. Please put some photos up of Cora!
PS the vet did come and have a look but only a passing visit and not more than a feel, again, no movement felt, he said he didn’t know because she looks like she is pregnant but that’s it!
Well the good news is that some mares don't show any signs of being pregnant until they're ready to deliver, and some mares won't foal until June or even July depending on when they caught! Just keep monitoring her and treating her like she is just in case. I only ever saw Bea's belly move twice, and trust me it was unmistakable! Her belly looked like someone had kicked a bowl of jelly or like it was a trampoline or something, it was almost alien in the way it moved and was definitely not gut movements. Anyway best of luck and please keep us posted!!

Well the good news is that some mares don't show any signs of being pregnant until they're ready to deliver, and some mares won't foal until June or even July depending on when they caught! Just keep monitoring her and treating her like she is just in case. I only ever saw Bea's belly move twice, and trust me it was unmistakable! Her belly looked like someone had kicked a bowl of jelly or like it was a trampoline or something, it was almost alien in the way it moved and was definitely not gut movements. Anyway best of luck and please keep us posted!!
Thank you. Yes I will post any interesting info and once we are past the time that it is even possible for her to be pregnant I will concentrate on her figure! At the moment she is being pampered so best she carries on pretending

Thank you. Yes I will post any interesting info and once we are past the time that it is even possible for her to be pregnant I will concentrate on her figure! At the moment she is being pampered so best she carries on pretending
LOL that is fantastic I'm sure she's loving every second! Bea is going on a DIET once Cora is weaned haha

Latest posts

Back