Angel foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roxane Martin

Reaction score
Sad to say that my sister-in-law's mare foaled Monday, but the foal was positioned upside down, as it were, and by the time we could get to the equine reproduction clinic, the foal was delivered stillborn. The filly was positioned to come out poll-first, facing up, with legs back. It was to be the only foal that this mare was to have. A black and white filly, nice markings, solid black head. The mare will be fine fortunately.

Fortunately I was home, otherwise no one would have known of the labor until after she had gone on for hours. I'm afraid the mare might have died from exhaustion in that case. She was showing no sign of foaling imminently when checked at 6am, but apparently moved quickly from then. I wonder if I had called earlier if there would have been a difference, but I think the way the foal was positioned, and the difficulty the vet had in re-positioning it, probably not. I do thank God that the mare will be OK.

My heart breaks for my sister-in-law. She has bought an apple tree to plant in memorium.

How often have you all experienced this sort of position, and have there been good outcomes? It seems like the hormones got the labor process going before the foal got turned right.

default_sad.png
default_sad.png
default_bye-sad.gif
:
default_crybaby.gif
:
default_crybaby.gif
:

Oh im so sorry, it makes you think twice about breeding when you hear stuff like this thats for sure.

Sorry cant help you, but I am very sorry,
default_sad.png

How very sad, ,u sympathy to you all. I love the apple tree to commemorate her.

I'm so sorry for you all. Planting an apple tree is a wonderful idea.

I'm so sorry.
default_sad.png
That's something that none of us can predict....we just never know when a dystocia will happen. Glad you were able to be there for the mare & help her as much as possible. You probably saved her life!
default_yes.gif
:

I am also sorry for the loss. Sometimes breeding & foaling is full of heartaches unfortunately.

[SIZE=14pt]So sorry for the loss of the foal. I totally understand.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Sorry to hear they lost the foal. I know it hurts. Sending {{{hugs}}}

It is so sad to have lost a foal that way!

I have not had that type of dystocia happen, but I've read that when the foal presents wrong, it's advisable to get the mare up and walking, as that will slip the foal back into the uterus and it often repositions correctly. Of course, with the legs bent backwards, I just don't know if anything could really have been done.

My condolences!

That does sound like an unusual malpresentation. Wish I could help you with an answer......

I'm sorry for your loss, but glad that you were home for the mare's sake. The apple tree is a lovely tribute.

Blessings,

MA

Just had one presented like that last week BUT it was only at approx 8 1/2-9 mos gestation, so was able to turn slightly and get it slipped out with the small size. Only other one I've had present upside down (on it's back coming out) was ALSO backwards :new_shocked: So, there were back feet first and not a live foal turn out. In fact, it was one of the worst events I've had in 15+ yrs of foaling, so far as presentations.

Full term made it very tight! An experienced mare and a horrid situation, only one I've ever lost in foaling. Even the vet couldn't resolve it and we had a rectal prolapse happen too. Hope I never have one of those again in my lifetime :no:

I'm so sorry for the loss. She was fortunate to have had no issues with the mare, happy to hear that part.

I am so sorry for the loss of your foal. I know only too well how the outcome of a malpositioned foal can end up and the hurt that you are feeling. What a wonderful thought to plant an apple tree. We had our angel colt cremated and spread his ashes in the pasture so he can always be with his mom.

My heart goes out to you and prayers that all is well with your mare.
default_wub.png
:

default_cheekkiss.gif
: I'm so sorry for your loss,...sending hugs for all of you and the mare too...what a wonderful idea ,planting an Apple Tree ..
default_wub.png
:

Latest posts

Back