AMHR Western Country Pleasure

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
According to the Journal they will be discussing what the judges should be looking for in a western country pleasure class. So not even the registry knows what style this class should ask for so lets not jump the gun

IMO, I think that the breed should be proud that the movement of the miniature horse is getting bigger and better, and the driving classes are very competitive now and perhaps the judges have an eye on how they should be judged.

I know, I'm one of those exhibitors that hate seeing a pleasure horse win above the country pleasure horses, but perhaps thats what its turning into.

My two cents may be worth a penny and half though :lol:

I'm glad the journal is going to dicuss the class. Lots and lots of educationals material will need to be provided to everyone so we can learn what this new class is all about and how it will be judged.

to be flip, but if the Judge is judging a class and pinning it based on his/her preference and his/ her preference doesn't reflect what's written in the rulebook, then I'd say , yes, they are throwing the rules out the window, and why do we even have rules. If this is the way driving classes are to be judged, then why do we even have different divisions....why not just combine all driving classes and let the judge pick his/her favorites (that's sarcasm folks) .

That's hilarious! lol That's how I feel at open shows when I enter the class called "driving".

Good discussion. Have to agree that at Nationals I (IMO) saw way too many horses placed in CP that shouldn't have been in that division. When I first began driving in CP, my thought was of the horse that you could take out, harness (with no help) get in cart, drive to the mailbox, get out (horse stands there, waiting for you) check your mail, get back in cart, read thru interesting mail, and go back home. To me, that is what a Country Pleasure horse should do! I would like to see all headers have to stand back at least 10 ft. from the horses in CP lineup. Well, actually, except for youth, I don't think CP should have ANY headers. I'd like to see a full stop along the wall, perhaps even have the driver exit the cart, walk around and get back in. IMO, that would eliminate approx. 95% of the horses in that class! In most of the shows I have attended about the only difference in the 2 classes was the check rein, and sometimes that was even tight enough to play a tune on. I agree to most people the high stepping driving horse is pretty. But when you get my age, the TRUE CP looks a whole lot prettier!
default_yes.gif
:

Pam

Good discussion. Have to agree that at Nationals I (IMO) saw way too many horses placed in CP that shouldn't have been in that division. When I first began driving in CP, my thought was of the horse that you could take out, harness (with no help) get in cart, drive to the mailbox, get out (horse stands there, waiting for you) check your mail, get back in cart, read thru interesting mail, and go back home. To me, that is what a Country Pleasure horse should do! I would like to see all headers have to stand back at least 10 ft. from the horses in CP lineup. Well, actually, except for youth, I don't think CP should have ANY headers. I'd like to see a full stop along the wall, perhaps even have the driver exit the cart, walk around and get back in. IMO, that would eliminate approx. 95% of the horses in that class! In most of the shows I have attended about the only difference in the 2 classes was the check rein, and sometimes that was even tight enough to play a tune on. I agree to most people the high stepping driving horse is pretty. But when you get my age, the TRUE CP looks a whole lot prettier!
default_yes.gif
:

Pam
Horsefeather , I couldn't agree more :risa_suelos:

ownedbyapony said:
Part 14 – Country Pleasure DrivingA. General

B. Class Conditions

1. Ring Procedure: Country Pleasure Driving horses

are to enter the ring counterclockwise (to the right)

at a country pleasure trot. To be shown both ways

of the arena at a walk, country pleasure trot and a

extended trot. To stand quietly and to rein back. To

be judged 60% on performance, manners and way

of going, 30% on the condition, fit and

appropriateness of harness and vehicle, and 10%

on neatness, appropriateness of attire and overall

impression. Overchecks and side checks should be

slightly loose, not snug. The head set should

appear natural for the horse. Excessive knee action

and speed to be penalized.

a. Walk: A free, regular and forward moving four

beat gait. The horse should walk energetically,

but calmly, with an even and determined gait.

b. Country Pleasure Trot: A balanced, easy

moving, relaxed two beat gait demonstrating

forward movement.

c. Extended Trot: A clear increase in gait and

length of stride. The horse should move freely

on a taut, but light rein, while maintaining a

balanced gait and forward movement.

Excessive knee action and speed shall be

penalized
My beef is not with horses who have better action winning. A better mover is a better mover and should be rewarded. My problem is that the judges are ignoring the highlited rules above and placing based on action, not on the standards of the class!

Horses that are checked so high that they are roaring should NOT be winning country pleasure classes. :nono:

Then again, I don't really want to see a class that is pinned on the head being exactly at the withers either.
default_unsure.png
:

I agree with MiLo- if there's going to be a new class, I'd like it to be to reward those whose horses are at the beginning stages of correct training, who are reaching down and forward for the bit and stretching their backs out, not for those who have truly poor action (short, choppy, no reach at all) or "can't cut it." Reaching forward does not mean poking along with their noses out, it means actively reaching and elevating their backs, stepping under themselves, and moving forward. When done correctly it's beautiful to see! This is the kind of action a true hunter would show. Further training will compact the frame and elevate the forehand, resulting in a higher headset and more action suitable for country pleasure.

Judge by the rules, folks. "Slightly loose" does not mean the horse is checked just below being unable to breathe. It means the horse is holding a natural headset and the check is tight enough not to flop around. "Manners" does not mean the horse rears, flips over, and still wins the class. :new_let_it_all_out:

Okay, rant over now. :lol: Just my penny-and-a-half.

Leia

I am excited about this class and hope it is offered at shows. My stallion is a perfect match for it :aktion033: He is not fancy enough to show in CP classes and he does not have enough reach. I hope our local club ECMHC will consider adding this class to the spring fling.
default_wink.png
:

Alison
Alison ~ ask and ye shall recieve
default_yes.gif
: looks like we will be having this class at our spring Fling in Williamston in April .

Reaching forward does not mean poking along with their noses out, it means actively reaching and elevating their backs, stepping under themselves, and moving forward.

Exactly. Ive never been sure why some people think a CP class consists of letting your reins hang while the horse cruises around completely strung out with his nose stuck out like a weathervein. No bend at the poll at all, no collection, no balance, nothing. Of course its often these same people who think they lose because the other horse had more action so.... *shrug*

Exactly. Ive never been sure why some people think a CP class consists of letting your reins hang while the horse cruises around completely strung out with his nose stuck out like a weathervein. No bend at the poll at all, no collection, no balance, nothing. Of course its often these same people who think they lose because the other horse had more action so.... *shrug*
Could not agree more! Love the avatar pics, BTW

Getting out my flameproof suit here but I didn't notice that many true pleasure horses at Nationals period, and certainly none in a country class. The good pleasure horses I saw at Nationals were the ones in the winners circle like D&S Vintage Silver. A great example of a true pleasure horse is Alice Browns horse Frog Level Hot Pockets or Ann Whitfields King of Kings. There were however a lot of country horses in the pleasure classes. As far as country pleasure goes it is up to the judge in preference in the manner of the horses way of going. Just because YOU prefer a dead laid back horse does not mean the judge does. Most of my horses can do either country or pleasure and its the WAY I DRIVE THEM. Personally I prefer a horse that moves out. If I'm driving down a country road I don't want to take 10 years to get to my destination. I drive my horses alone at home, hitch them myself. Though they look hot they are not, and my kids drive them too! I absolutely believe in manners in a driving horse but I also want them to be themselves, have a brain and not be a robot. A horse that is IN FRAME, HAS A FLOWING REACHING MOVEMENT, is the one the judge is going to notice. To get a horse to work like that is a combination of gaited and dressage plus a handler and horse that click! Linda B
default_torch.gif
: Flame away

Fred ~ No Flaming here .... everyone has their opinion and if we all liked the same thing it would get really boring around here.

Different strokes for different folks
default_yes.gif
:

I on the other hand love the laid back driving horse. I do most of my driving here on the farm, not in the ring, so I like a horse I can take it easy and take in the scenery , while driving.

But I LOVE to watch the SP horses.. especially the ones that really stroke .

I have to agree with Justagirl...I do most of my driving down country roads or into little towns. When I lived in Colorado about a year and half ago my sister, sam and myself would always drive into town for ice cream or a soda..Sometimes even down the road to the park where we drove around in the grass or would race through the arena like lil pacers.LOL.. The good old days (sure wish I had someone to do that with now)! I even remember all three of us driving for 10 miles one day..Sounds more like an endurance driving thing but we had a blast and the horses loved it. I know I don't think it that has anything to do with the topic but yeah...Thats my way a describing a true country pleasure horse....She does all that and took overall driving horse one year..So I am not complaining one bit :new_multi:

Ok here is my understanding of this new class...

Currently we have some horses that are in the CP driving class that should be in the Pleasure driving and some in the Pleasure driving that should be in Park. Well this should start placing those horse in their appropriate classes. True CP driving horses (use the new Western Country Pleasure driving description) will be in that class, those Pleasure driving ponies that have some knee action but not enough for the Park classes will now be your regular Country Pleasure Driving Class, and your Park Harness Horses will now be your Pleasure Driving class and we will not see Park Harness as it will eventually go away.

I spoke to the author of this proposal and was pleased with what they are trying to do in cleaning up these driving divisions for all of us.

Karen

your Park Harness Horses will now be your Pleasure Driving class and we will not see Park Harness as it will eventually go away.
This is a GREAT topic. So many good points by everyone! This, however, makes me sad. I know there are very few true Park horses, but I feel my ECHO comes pretty close. So now what do I do with my great backyard find of last year, a beautiful old Jerald Viceroy??? Could we add back in the fine harness class? It came with 2 sets of shafts, mini and pony, so maybe I need to find a driving Modern Pleasure pony......
default_wink.png
:

There would be have Park classes - breaking level in the knee, HOT, almost impossible to get in a mini (they're just not built that way). Then you have the Open or in our case Single Pleasure - level knee action, high head set, Hot. Then there would be Classic Pleasure, natural motion, not as hot, but still a show horse. Then, Country Pleasure - more flat knee, laid back, lower, more natural headset.
I really like this guideline for dividing the classes. Again, it only works if the judges follow it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dr Pam,

You have just hit the nail on the head.....the park harness will become fine harness when all this is done.

This is why all of this has come about. To help us put these horses where they really belong. Yes, it's a long time coming and I think we will see improvement before too long.

Karen

Back