AMHR transfer question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djskid

Reaction score
I'm being a little proactive here as nothing may come of this but wanted some opinions.

At a show yesterday, a lady came up to us and said that she was the owner of one of the foals that we had sold. The filly is now four years old-we sold her as a weanling, with her papers, at a sale. This lady bought her from the man that bought her at the sale and now the lady is in the process of selling her (of course, as registered). The lady so far only has a copy of the registration papers, which still lists us as the current owners. The lady said that she has been reassured by another mini person that there won't be any problems getting the registration papers-they can just use the photocopy or if they have to, they could get us to sign a transfer. We didn't commit to anything and told the lady (many times) that we didn't think that a photocopy would be acceptable. She said that she would ask the guy she bought her from to look a little harder.

Are we wrong in thinking that a photocopy would not be admissible and what would you do if you did end up being contacted? I'm crossing my fingers that they find them so then we can stay out of it!
default_pray.gif

A photocopy will not be acceptable. If they cannot find the papers they will have to get a duplicate certificate. Actually you will have to get the duplicate certificate since you are owner of record.

What would I do? I would collect the money for the duplicate certificate and provide the duplicate with the transfer to the guy you sold him to. That guy can then sign another transfer to this lady.

Ditto to what Minimor said, but I would also want to see a picture of the horse now to make sure it is in fact the one that I had sold. And if you sold a bay...and they show you pictures of a pinto, NO DICE. You'd be surprised how often this happens. I've sold quite a few horses that are still for whatever dumb reason are still in my name. Since most of mine have been DNA'd - I would insist on the DNA matching before I would give them anything unless there was no question due to markings, etc.

Back