AMHR stallion to gelding

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warpony

Reaction score
I've tried calling AMHR every day this week and must have the worlds worst timing because I can never get anything but a busy signal... so I thought I would ask here.

My gelding has the newer papers with the pictures and they are fairly current pictures. He was a stallion when I had his papers transfered and now I need to update them to gelding. I know the paperwork for it says they need pictures for everything but I was also told when I talked to them a few months ago that they don;t need them for everything once the horse has the new papers. So does anyone know if they need them to do the stallion to gelding switch? If they need them I have to get the pictures tomorrow, and if I don't need them it will save me a lot of hassle. I figured someone around here would probably know.
default_smile.png

Thanks!

Here's a link that should answer your question:

AMHR Photo Requirements

As I read it (see the end part), since your horse already has papers w/ pictures on them, I do not think you need to re-submit additional pictures
default_smile.png

AH! Thank you!! That answers my question and saves me some time and effort (I'd rather be driving them around the yard than trying to get someone to help me take pictures of them, hehehe).

No problem! I enlightened myself, too!!! I thought I had to take pics of my Big City babies to transfer their AMHR's but now I see I don't have to
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png

I read the picture requrements, but I was previously under the impression if a horse changed ownership, new photos were required??
default_wacko.png
However, it doesn't say that, so maybe not?? :DOH!

I read the picture requrements, but I was previously under the impression if a horse changed ownership, new photos were required??
default_wacko.png
However, it doesn't say that, so maybe not?? :DOH!

When I transfered my mare into my name I sent nice new shiny summer pictures of her and they returned them with a note saying they weren't needed... so she still has her grossly obese and furry winter pictures on her papers from when her former owner transfered her into her name and brought her permanent, lol.

When I talked to AMHR I was informed that pictures needed to be sent in EVERY time that the papers were sent in for any reason. When I bought a colt this year I didnt send them in because they were already on there and they got returned to me saying I needed them -- now they didnt change the pictures from theirs to mine but they made me send them in... Same thing happened on a mare I registered this year.

So I think to be safe I would send them WITH pictures so that you dont have to redo it. Just my opinion
default_smile.png

Ok, sorry, I'm confused, I thought you only had to send pictures in to AMHR for permenant, and transfer, if they already have current pictures on there though, for gelding you don't have to? Or am I wrong?
default_wacko.png

Would be nice to know, as I have a "stallion to gelding" I am sending in??

I was just filling out a work order for some other stuff and it says on the site that any time work is needing done on the pictures that pictures are needed.

Good Luck!

Read the link I posted above (and here again below)
default_smile.png
It is from AMHR's website and explains everything on one page. You do not need to send in pics for transfers or to update to gelding IF the horse already has the new style papers w/ photographs. If you have "ugly" pictures on the paper and WANT them updated, it costs an additional $20.

AMHR Photo Requirements <----- link

Read the link I posted above (and here again below)
default_smile.png
It is from AMHR's website and explains everything on one page. You do not need to send in pics for transfers or to update to gelding IF the horse already has the new style papers w/ photographs. If you have "ugly" pictures on the paper and WANT them updated, it costs an additional $20.

AMHR Photo Requirements <----- link
It is nice that they now have the requirements spelled out and easier to understand than before. Now, it would be nice if they would actually go by their own guidelines. I recently sent in a transfer on a mare that was originally registered as a solid gray. We all know how confusing foal coat colors can be sometimes and she was NOT Solid and NOT Gray. I had her DNA color tested and she is a Smokey Black. She also has obvious Sabino roaning, a belly spot, and a small spot on her withers about 3 inches long. I sent in an explanation of her color and appropriate photos to show all these markings. All the extras were returned with a note that said "only 4 photos required." :arg!

They did however change her color from Solid Gray to Black Roan Pinto and detailed her leg markings. Not entirely correct, but better than Solid Gray.

This is what I copied from the VERY first paragraph of the link you posted:

Pictures are required for ALL registry work, i.e. registration, transfer, any

certificate correction, lease, lease termination, stallion to gelding change, height verification form when

registering a Shetland or Falabella as a Miniature Horse, and when applying for permanent status.

So to me that says that since she is wanting to change him from a stallion to a gelding she would have to send in pictures.

But then the LAST paragraph says:

Once the animal has received the new style certificate with pictures incorporated, pictures are NOT

required for future registry work unless animal goes from temporary to permanent, there are

color/marking changes, or the owner desires a photo update. If an update is requested, there will be a

$20.00 corrected certificate charge.

so to me that says he doesnt -- so seems a little contradicting to me -- I mean at the top says for ALL registry work but then at the bottom it says not.. So what is the real answer?? I thought I understood but now I am all confused -- haha
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with you, DGR. What's correct and what's not??
default_wacko.png

I sent in a transfer just a week or so ago that involved new papers with the horses' pictures already in place. I sent new pics. Will they send them back? I guess time will tell.

I also sent in transfers on two new horses that do require pictures as both had the old papers. I requested a change on each of those. One is registered as chestnut and she's a silver bay. And the other had her height listed as 30.50" and she's 31.75". Will they charge me to make those changes? I guess I'll find out.
default_smile.png

I agree... it is confuzzling with how it's worded :DOH!

What I suspect is that these directions were written during two different times. I think the last paragraph was added later, as the AMHR realized they will be requested to update paperwork on horses who already have "new" style papers.

Based on how I read the FULL directions, I do not think pictures are required for changing a horse from stallion to gelding or for transfers, so long as the horse already has updated / photograph papers.

Well, now I don't know what I need to do. GR! I guess I'll start trying to call again monday morning and hope I get through. I need to ask about the colour thing again because when I transfered him i paid to correct his papers from buckskin to silver bay and he came back as a bay. When I asked they said I needed to register him as a chestnut or bay. But I know others who have theirs registered as silver bay so I need to know WHY mine had to be either chestnut or bay when he is silver bay. I also don;t think I should have to pay for ANOTHER colour correction since I paid for the last one and he is STILL not listed as silver bay like he should be.

I suppose I could always print out that page, circle the last paragraph and hope they process it without any trouble. :DOH! And also print out the page where they list silver bay as a colour and circle that as well, lol.

Latest posts

Back