AMHR rules about ownership

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capall beag

Reaction score
York Beach, Maine originally from Ireland!
So I guess I am very uninformed about this?

I have just found out that AMHR does not consider you the owner until 11 months after the transfer of ownership.

So if you buy a mare and send in the paperwork to transfer and then breed the mare. You are not considered the owner until 11 months after the transfer takes place?

This seems weird to me? But that is what I was told, So I guess I learned something new today.

WHAT????
default_unsure.png
:
default_wacko.png
:
default_unsure.png
:
default_wacko.png
:

No there is no such rule. I purchased a mare at Doc Taylors sale in May, she foaled June 5th and I thought that Doc had to do the colts registration but no, the date of transfer was the day of the sale and therefore I was the owner of record and needed to do his registration.

Lyn

sounds more like you've had a mis-communication. more details on wha you asked them versus their answer may help us clarify where the disconnect may be.

Here is the only instance that may be true. If you buy a mare on payments, and you have not filed a lease at time of purchase so that the papers dont change hands until 11 months later...then the orriginal owner of record is still the owner 11 months later because no lease was filed even if the mare was in your posession and bred by you, the orriginal owner will be listed as the breeder of record.

Lyn

No, I have transferred mares w/in days of purchasing them. Someone at AMHR is confused!

What I think may be confusing someone is who is listed as the "breeder" on the pending foal. I do think that is to be the owner of record when the mare was bred...

Lyn is correct. There must be some misunderstanding of your original question on the part of the AMHR staffer. The date that is put on the transfer form as the effective date of transfer....that is the day you become owner.

Let's say you buy an open mare. The day after the effective date on the transfer you breed her. You are the breeder of the resulting foal because you were the owner of the mare on the day she was bred.

Or if you buy a bred mare -- and she foals the day of or any day after the effective date on the transfer form.....that foal is yours...not the previous mare's owners.

Leasing is another can of worms, but essentially the same when it comes to effective dates. If you don't put an expiration date on the lease -- it automatically expires at the end of a year (I think that's the max length but don't quote me on that). However, you can with the agreement of the other party, terminate a lease before the end of that period of time. Just requires both signatures.

The conversation was about buying a mare. Breeding her and when it comes time to file the stallion cert who was the owner.

Maybe the woman meant you are not considered the owner of the horse during the 11 month pregnancy if the paperwork has not been officially transferred prior to the first breeding date??

I am sorry I may sound confused I have a sick 2 yr old clambering on me and I am trying to retype this for the third time!

I may have misunderstood what she meant!

Whatever happened I have managed to completely confuse myself!!!

This is an old issue I was trying to resolve!

I know a couple times with AMHR, I have gotten off the cuff answers that I was sure were wrong and felt like the "answerer" didn't really care. When I got firmer and questioned how could that answer be right, then I did get more reasonable (and correct) answers. Usually, they are great, but there is one particular person that often acts pretty put upon when I've asked her questions over the years. Maybe you talked with her, too!

Well there ya go learn something new every day.

I had always thought say I buy mare Jane in foal... I buy her 3 months in foal and transfer her.. on her papers I will be listed as OWNER of baby Jane however BREEDER of baby Jane is the person who owned her at time of service and is listed as such on her registration papers.

I could have sworn that is how it always worked but maybe I never paid attention

and maybe my answer has nothing to do with the question asked lol :)

Last edited:
The date on the transfer is/should be the date that appears on the registration papers. Even if you don't send the transfer in for 6 or 12 months, when the papers come back they will show the change of ownership as of the date that was on that transfer form.

I do think there was a misunderstanding when you were given the information. You were talking about buying an open mare and then breeding her...as long as the transfer to you is dated before you breed the mare, your name is the one that goes on the stallion report/breeding certificate as mare owner.

However, if you buy a mare that is already bred,(even if you buy her just 1 day after she is bred) when you get the breeding certificate for her--it is the former owner's name that will show on it as mare owner. Likewise it is the former owner's name that will go on the stallion report, and the former owner's name will show as "breeder" on the registration papers of the resulting foal, even though your name will show as original owner of that foal. When she foals and you breed her back--then your name will show up everywhere--on the stallion report, breeding certificate, and "breeder" section of the papers. So yes, for you to show up as breeder on the mare's foals--that could very well take 11 months from the time you purchase her. I suspect that is where the confusion is in the answer you got from AMHR.

Lisa, you are right--the way you are thinking it works is the way it does work, you've not been confused all along! :bgrin

Lisa is correct in the fact of a bred mare. If you buy her in foal you are the owner of the foal but not the breeder. The breeder would be the previous person who owned the mare.

Latest posts

Back