AMHR Nationals Poll

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should AMHR make it harder to qualify for Nationals?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I DON'T think they should change anything! That's why AMHR has been so successful! And I personally don't know, espically with my younger horses, what they will excel in by the end of the year, an example being my gelding I just sold. I thought he would be a poor jumper, but surpize surpize he took second with a perfect jump off at our last show of the season. (I didn't show him at Nationals because the entries had already been due) BUT, if we had to qualify...he never would have.

Besides we would lose entries, and I would hate to see that happen, then what would be the difference between A and R then? And our youth entries would decine, so many youth work so hard to get there, including myself, and half of the horses I show at Nationals are not owned by myself, by a trainer. How would I quallify on his horses when not all AMHR shows offer youth only classes? Specifically I mean youth roadster, alot of shows around here don't offer a youth roadster. Sorry if this got long and didn't make sense, but this is a thing I am adament about.

I like it the way it is. A good horse is a good horse, no matter HOW he gets there. If you think you have a chance, go for it.

Lucy

Any horse in the world can run in the Kentucky Derby --- for the modest fee of $50,000. It's the allure of having a horse run in the Derby. Just because they pay up to run, doesn't mean that they are going to win or place. But it does help fatten the Derby purse.

It's the same at AMHR Nationals. If someone wishes to bring a horse that hasn't done anything all year except stand in a ring under four judges, I say bring 'em on!! I'm not one of them unfortunately! The only horses I would take to nationals are the ones that have a chance. Having 70 horses in a ring doesn't bother me. The best horses will still stand out. Maybe the trainers do have an edge, but mostly it's because they have their choice of horses, and most take only the best. I take the best I can raise or afford.

As for not being looked at during the line up?? These are experienced judges. I know many judges who have told me they place their classes for the most part when the horse walks in the ring. They know what they are looking for (OR SHOULD! as a national judge) and don't need to spend 10 minutes examining each horse.

OK now EVERYBODY has had the chance to hear my opinion
biggrin.gif

I'm not sure how many of you have attended the Quarter Horse Congress - which is the largest single breed horse show in the world that is now three weeks in length. This show has grown and grown over the years - Interesting fact is that you do not have to "qualify" to show at the Congress - classes are held in 2 to 3 rings from morning to night. So for example, halter in one arena, barrel racing in another arena, while in a third arena, reining.

One year, I watched just one youth trail class that lasted for 4 hours
new_shocked.gif
new_shocked.gif
Almost all classes are hours in length. Some classes have 200+ entries with many splits and semi finals and then the finals. Numbers are posted on a huge monitor overhead to keep things moving and to avoid confusion. As this show is held right here in my backyard in Columbus, Ohio we attend every year.

Since the horse does not have qualify to show, there are always a few horses shown that are obviously outclassed, however the quality is there and my how a Congress win is highly sought after and advertised over and over by those lucky winners. And exhibitors, burst with pride to say - they showed at "The Congress" just to "show" .

This year as I was watching the Congress working hunter class, I thought now wouldn't it be incredible to see our AMHR Nationals grow to the level of the QH

Congress?
wink.gif
With 80 or 90 entries this year in one driving class, and more and more people interested in attending the Nationals, AMHR could very well be headed in that direction. With so many other breeds struggling to draw entries to their major shows, isn't it great that the AMHR Nationals continues to grow- and in some years significant "growth".

Personally, I like the fact that the "avg" person who is interested enough to take the time and finances (often vacation from work) to travel to the Nationals can show their horse with minimal qualifying. If their horse(s) is not competitive, they often decide to upgrade their stock so they can become more competitive at the National level. Not everyone can start out with a National Champion and after a few years of getting the gate, often these same exhibitors who entered a horse, that is outclassed, made adjustments in their program to become competitive. I know I did and I'm thankful that AMHR's rules allowed our family the opportunity to participate in a National Show.
yes.gif

Another thought is to focus our energy on the fact that we may need more judges, and more days added to the show, more arenas, and more split classes to deal with all of the entries - but what a wonderful problem to have -
wink.gif

Just a different perspective.
saludando.gif

Ok i know i said i was done but GETITIA THANK YOU SO MUCH for saying what I was trying to and getting the point across I had in my head but couldnt put into words the way you did
biggrin.gif

And susane.. no worries I really wasnt taking it as a personal thing
smile.gif
but thank you for the compliments
biggrin.gif

Getitia said:
Personally, I like the fact that the "avg" person who is interested enough to take the time and finances (often vacation from work) to travel to the Nationals can  show their horse with minimal qualifying.  If their horse(s) is not competitive, they often decide to upgrade their stock so they can become more competitive at the National level.  Not everyone can start out with a National Champion and after a few years of getting the gate, often these same exhibitors who entered a horse, that is outclassed, made adjustments in their program to become competitive.  I know I did and I'm thankful that AMHR's rules allowed our family the opportunity to participate in a National Show. 
yes.gif

Another thought is to focus our energy on the fact that we may need more judges, and more days added to the show, more arenas, and more split classes to deal with all of the entries - but what a wonderful problem to have - 
wink.gif

saludando.gif

484741[/snapback]

aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif

Well Said Getitia !!
yes.gif

by the way sat in center ring for a few min.. (was way fun though i like it in there
biggrin.gif
think i am to old to be an AMHR princess
wink.gif
)

anyway there was some discussion anyway for what it is worth about having 2 rings and if that is or would even be possible so it isnt like those in charge arent thinking ahead
wink.gif

if they extended the days, judges and rings i would be in complete agreement.
yes.gif

I am wondering if those that think there should be less horses in Liberty & obstacle have any idea of how many hours & hours of work & preparation have gone into training those horses for those precious 2 miniutes to show what they can (sometimes do & sometimes not do so well) since the obstacles are always new. (this year the balloons on the pole-- our stallion is 29 inches)-- those balloons rubbed & tickled some delicate spots-- however, he DID do the sidepass over it-- that is what counts-- your horse does do what you ask of him. This year he did not get a ribbon -- in past years he has. I am sure he will be in that class again next year. I know the amount of time we spend on preparing for just this class alone. WHY?? Because we enjoy it & if you have a horse well trained in halter obstacle-- then you will have a horse well trained to stand for the required amount of time for a conformation halter class. All of it is tied together, I say-- leave it as it is-- show in what YOU wish to show in & don't spend so much time worrying about what everone else should be showing in.

AMHR is successfull because of the way they do things not in spite of it. I also believe AMHA would love to have the same problem of so many HUGE classes & a profit making show to boot.

Getitia said:
I'm not sure how many of you have attended the Quarter Horse Congress -  which is the largest single breed horse show in the world that is now three weeks in length.  This show has grown and grown over the years - Interesting fact is that you do not have to "qualify" to show at the Congress - classes are held in 2 to 3 rings from morning to night. So for example, halter in one arena, barrel racing in another arena, while in a third arena, reining.
new_shocked.gif

new_shocked.gif
Almost all classes are hours in length.  Some classes have 200+ entries with many splits and semi finals and then the finals.  Numbers are posted on a huge monitor overhead to keep things moving and to avoid confusion.  As this show is held right here in my backyard in Columbus, Ohio we attend every year. 

Since the horse does not have qualify to show, there are always a few horses shown that are obviously outclassed, however the quality is there and my how a Congress win is highly sought after and advertised over and over by those lucky winners.  And exhibitors, burst with pride to say - they showed at "The Congress" just to "show" .

This year as I was watching the Congress working hunter class,  I thought now  wouldn't it be incredible to see our AMHR Nationals grow to the level of the QH

Congress? 
wink.gif
  With 80 or 90 entries  this year in one driving class, and more and more people interested in attending the Nationals, AMHR could very well be headed in that direction.  With so many other breeds struggling to draw entries to their major shows, isn't it great that the AMHR Nationals continues to grow- and in some years significant "growth".

Personally, I like the fact that the "avg" person who is interested enough to take the time and finances (often vacation from work) to travel to the Nationals can  show their horse with minimal qualifying.  If their horse(s) is not competitive, they often decide to upgrade their stock so they can become more competitive at the National level.  Not everyone can start out with a National Champion and after a few years of getting the gate, often these same exhibitors who entered a horse, that is outclassed, made adjustments in their program to become competitive.  I know I did and I'm thankful that AMHR's rules allowed our family the opportunity to participate in a National Show. 
yes.gif

wink.gif

saludando.gif

484741[/snapback]

what she said
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif

I think it should stay the same way as it. It is a National show for everyone. It a very friendly welcoming National show and we really enjoy it.

Im one of the few that do enter classes at nationals that I dont locally, and thats only because our local shows are so expensive that Im not spending 70 bucks to show in open and amt. So I show in open and enter them both at the R nationals. Guilty. We also only have 2 shows in our area. So if you go with point as in the A, what if the judges dont like your horses, say they arent the type they like? So you dont place high??? Had it happen at one show 4 judges, 2 dumps 2 grand champions out of 8 horses???? Two champions were by the National judges. Also what if there isnt enough horses and you go points??? My horse that won National champion this year didnt have anyone in his 2 yr class at any shows (did in grand and supreme) , no points. So we dont go????

Nah, if it aint broke dont fix it. Need more stalls at Nationals cut back on the tack and grooming and hanging out stalls Im sure that would loosing up a few.

If the judges arent up to staying up all night they shouldnt accept the position. They are well aware of the long days and night, not that I dont feel sorry for them.

Another thought is to focus our energy on the fact that we may need more judges, and more days added to the show, more arenas, and more split classes to deal with all of the entries - but what a wonderful problem to have
That's a wonderful idea !! Have some of the longer classes - liberty, jumping, obstacle, held in a separate ring with different judges. Just that would help speed things along.

Getitia said:
I'm not sure how many of you have attended the Quarter Horse Congress -  which is the largest single breed horse show in the world that is now three weeks in length.  This show has grown and grown over the years - Interesting fact is that you do not have to "qualify" to show at the Congress - classes are held in 2 to 3 rings from morning to night. So for example, halter in one arena, barrel racing in another arena, while in a third arena, reining.
new_shocked.gif

new_shocked.gif
Almost all classes are hours in length.  Some classes have 200+ entries with many splits and semi finals and then the finals.  Numbers are posted on a huge monitor overhead to keep things moving and to avoid confusion.  As this show is held right here in my backyard in Columbus, Ohio we attend every year. 

Since the horse does not have qualify to show, there are always a few horses shown that are obviously outclassed, however the quality is there and my how a Congress win is highly sought after and advertised over and over by those lucky winners.  And exhibitors, burst with pride to say - they showed at "The Congress" just to "show" .

This year as I was watching the Congress working hunter class,  I thought now  wouldn't it be incredible to see our AMHR Nationals grow to the level of the QH

Congress? 
wink.gif
  With 80 or 90 entries  this year in one driving class, and more and more people interested in attending the Nationals, AMHR could very well be headed in that direction.  With so many other breeds struggling to draw entries to their major shows, isn't it great that the AMHR Nationals continues to grow- and in some years significant "growth".

yes.gif

wink.gif

saludando.gif

484741[/snapback]

The QH Congress, while a great show, with prestigous wins, is still just a show. If you want to show, you haul up and show. There is no qaulifying, as it is not an exact equivalent to AMHR Nationals. Maybe that is what the majority of folks would like though? The two shows, 4 judges "qualifying" is really only an attempt to get folks to support their local shows, and nothing more. The largest invitation only show in the world is the QH World show though. Everything aside from weanling and yearling halter classes require qualifying points. That show continues to grow, and the qualifying points continue to climb in order to keep the overall growth of the show limited to 10% per year. The last year I qualified for the QH World I spent over $5,000 just in entry fees and associated expenses to qualify..didn't include trainers fees, and the like, and I was hauling a talented animal that was picking up points each weekend I hauled, if the points were available.

I'm not suggesting that AMHR needs to up the ante on qualifying, maybe we're not quite there yet. But, the show could run "on schedule" if they at least put a stop to post entries. If entries close the month prior to Nationals, and you only show in what you pre-enter, they know exactly how many classes they can run a day, and how many potential splits might be required. What would be so terrible in at least taking that little step?

new_shocked.gif

I like the idea I can post enter classes at nationals because as I have a 33 hour

drive I can wait and see how my horse is after trucking that far and what classes

and how I can space them for HIS COMFORT. Its really expensive to enter all

your classes at one shot along with stall fees etc. It gives me a little breather

on the finances as I don't have to come up with the whole lump at once. With

three kids and usually five horses thats a chunk of change. I have to put the kids

entries in by a deadline but to do it with the horses I show would really hurt all

at once! Linda B P.S. If I have any extra then the kids could go in liberty, color,

etc.
yes.gif
yes.gif
yes.gif

I just wanted to make one comment in regards to someone asking what if there are no other horses at local shows to get points.

This happens quite a bit in some divisions/sizes. And at least ONE way of dealing with it that AMHA has done is have a Hardship rule that basically states that for example, all amateur clases fall under this rule and any amateur class that someone is not able to qualify in due to lack of entries but has given a reasonable attempt (defined by number of judges/shows) will be exempt from HAVING to get the points.

Again, this is only ONE way of dealing with it and im sure many others could be thought of if brainstormed.

Latest posts

Back