AMHR hardship requirements

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunrise Valley

Reaction score
Is this done routinely? I will try to make this clear as it is a convoluted story.

Breeder A sells weanling colt to Breeder B. The colt is AMHA registered only.

Breeder B raises colt to breeding age and breeds AMHA only mare to him.

Breeder B then sells both stallion and mare(in foal) to different buyers.

The stallion's new owner hardships him into AMHR.

The mare foals a colt, and then new mare owner(me) hardships the mare into AMHR.

I want to now register the resulting AMHA foal to AMHR. I am told by AMHR that I will need a late stallion report and stallion service certificate. Fine. I contact Breeder B, the owner of both the stallion and mare at the time of the breeding and recorded breeder of the colt in AMHA. She kindly agrees to fill out these two AMHR forms, and does.

Now comes the part that just feels dishonest. AMHR does not recognize AMHA owner transfers in horses hardshiped from AMHA. I am told I must contact Breeder A, the original breeder of the stallion, ( who doesn't know me from Eve) and get him to fill out these two forms stating that he bred the stallion to my mare, providing dates bred, etc. He didn't own the stallion at the time of the breeding, and has never even seen the mare.

AMHR is expecting me to contact a respected breeder, and ask him to falsify forms? That just does not make sense!

"Now comes the part that just feels dishonest. AMHR does not recognize AMHA owner transfers in horses hardshiped from AMHA" This doesn't sound right. I'd call AMHR and talk to them in person. I have never had them not recognize owner transfers. If the person hardshipped the stallion into their own name, and then bred the mare, They are the breeder of record. I think someone is confused and you should not have to contact the original owner.

The stallion was sold after breeding to the new owner, who then hardshipped him. The hardshipper of he stallion was not the owner at the time of breeding.

This info was given to me on the phone with AMHR. I was incredulous, and questioned the requirement,but she was determined that this was what had to be done to register the foal from hardshipped parents.

I understand your point and completely agree with you it is technically falsifying information.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with you..I went through something similar last year and I too was incredulous while listening to the instruction via phone, but it was told so matter of fact like it was no big deal. I was made to realize it's done every day...well not literally every day but they need the paper trail and basically lying and back-dating is the norm to get it. If all parties agree it's a done deal and the papers recorded. If it works out in the end for the horse and the new owner then it's worth it I guess, but it felt weird to be instructed to sign papers that weren't true.

Of course I did not have to, nobody has to but I would have felt bad for the horse to have not been registered because of me when the Registry spelled out how they needed it done and said it's fine to do it that way.

PS Hi Lisa!
default_laugh.png

Of course you have another option, be it a little more expensive but might make you feel better/more honest-use the colt's AMHA papers and pay the AMHR hardshipping fees. I know you shouldn't have to do this when both of his parents have already been hardshipped but in the long run this might just be the easiest way.

The stallion was sold after breeding to the new owner, who then hardshipped him. The hardshipper of he stallion was not the owner at the time of breeding.
Breeder A sells weanling colt to Breeder B. The colt is AMHA registered only.
Breeder B raises colt to breeding age and breeds AMHA only mare to him.

Breeder B then sells both stallion and mare(in foal) to different buyers.

The stallion's new owner hardships him into AMHR.

The mare foals a colt, and then new mare owner(me) hardships the mare into AMHR.
Ok wait.. so the person who hardshipped the stallion was or was not the AMHR owner on record at the time he bred the mare?

It non hardshipping breeder is the one who actually owned the stallion when he serviced the mare then I guess he would be the one who would have to fill ouut the forms - since hardship owner did not actually breed the stallion to the mare he would not be able to fill out paperwork saying he did?

or do I have it wrong?

I am reading breeder A was out of it as a weanling- breeder B bred the stallion and the mare- Breeder C bought stallion after breeder B bred him to mare

If that is correct then how could Breeder C sign paperwork confirming that stallion was bred to mare if he was not the one who owned stallion at the time? BUt again maybe I am reading it wrong

Jack sells a AMHA only colt to Jill. Jill uses him on AMHA only mare. Jill sells stallion to Peter and mare to Paul. Peter hardships stallion into AMHR. After mare foals Paul hardships into AMHR. Did I get the gist of it?

(This was taken right AMHR's website regarding AMHA to AMHR:

You need to fill out a AMHR Registration Application - listing yourself as owner in all instances on the form, but keeping the breeder the one that is on the AMHA papers.) The current rules do not allow for instances like you have. Remember the office does not make the rules!

In all actuality if this is all you have to do than I think you are making out like a bandit as to my understanding IF you hardship in a mare AFTER the foal is born you have to hardship the said foal in as well. (Although that could be strictly a AMHA prodigy situation.)

Sure it sounds screwy but remember that the office only has the AMHR paperwork in front of them. Therefore, on their papers "paul" is the owner of the stallion regardless of who really had him when he bred. So to get the foal registered you need to do it their way or hardship.

This is totally wrong and IS falsifying records...and you have not misunderstood anything. This is EXACTLY what AMHR requires and it's TOTALLY WRONG! I've been through this same situation although I just gave up and didn't purchase the resulting foal. It's, in my opinion, just like how we are forced to chose colors for our horses that we KNOW and HAVE genetic proof is incorrect.

I'm sorry you're going through this.

I talked to Sunrise Valley and just to clarify, the stallion was not hardshipped, his sire and dam were already AMHR, he was registered late so the correct owner of the stallion at the time of breeding would be his breeder. Now having found out that I helped the current stallion owner register the stallion (what a small world) I think we might be able to help Sunrise Valley as well. It should all work out just fine and she won't have to pay the hardshipping fee on a horse that deserves his AMHR papers to begin with.

Latest posts

Back