AMHR/ASPC Convention News

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks JMS, please post if you hear anything. We are trying to do our local club show planning for 2012 and the outcome of the Area VI show allows us to finalize our own show date. Best, Mary

They'll also announce the dates and location for Nationals and Congress, of course Nationals will stay the same but I believe I heard that Congress will be at Tulsa in August?

Yes Congress will be at Tulsa for 2012

Any word on 2012 Convention location?I would love to go back to Reno,NV or to San Antonio,TX Lots to do in both places,.Also location for Area shows for 2012 especially Area One.We are hoping to have it back in Harrington,DE since we had a good turnout previously.Heard rumors that Branson,MO may be location for convention?If so does anybody know if the airport to there is operating yet?Last time was a pain flying to Springfield and renting a car-Long drive to Branson at night not knowing where you are going

Well my horse got his HOF in July 2008 and was able to get his HOF plaque at Convention in 2008.

Here are the latest results from the online poll AMHR/ASPC has on their site. Not very good numbers.

Are you planning on attending the 2011 Convention?

No

147 69.7%

Yes

55 26.1%

Maybe

9 4.3%
I think there is confusion between Hall of Fame and All Star Awards. The HOF are life time points. So it can be earned any time. If you earn it before convention (not sure how long before) you will get it then.

The All Star awards are from 12/1 to 11/31, and only count for one year. Those are not given out at convention, as they aren't finalized until end of November.

Any word on 2012 Convention location?I would love to go back to Reno,NV or to San Antonio,TX Lots to do in both places,.Also location for Area shows for 2012 especially Area One.We are hoping to have it back in Harrington,DE since we had a good turnout previously.Heard rumors that Branson,MO may be location for convention?If so does anybody know if the airport to there is operating yet?Last time was a pain flying to Springfield and renting a car-Long drive to Branson at night not knowing where you are going
Well unless they changed it last year it was announced that 2012 Convention will be in Branson. I believe the airport opened up in 09.

I think there is confusion between Hall of Fame and All Star Awards. The HOF are life time points. So it can be earned any time. If you earn it before convention (not sure how long before) you will get it then.

The All Star awards are from 12/1 to 11/31, and only count for one year. Those are not given out at convention, as they aren't finalized until end of November.
Thats what the discussion was about what time frame do they give out the plaques if your horse gets it HOF that year if they would hand out the plaque same year at Convention.

Thats what the discussion was about what time frame do they give out the plaques if your horse gets it HOF that year if they would hand out the plaque same year at Convention.
You all are probably right and my memory is faulty!

It's h*** to get old!
default_laugh.png

Lucy

I am just leaving Portlamd now so will comment on what i remember, which isnt much since I didnt write much down...lol

Congress 2012 will be in Tulsa August 7-12 (I think those are the dates)

AMHR Nationals will be in Tulsa September 6-16

Convention will be in St, Louis, Mo, November 6-10 ?

Area 3 National show will be in Shelbyville, Tn, June 1-3

I dont have what passed and what didnr but i remember a few proposals outcomes if you ask me specifcally about them,

Convention was a blast...was my 1st one...maybe spendy...3 nights hotel $334 plus aifare from Florida $274...convention/dinner $76 (I think?)...I actually thought the "expensive" part was food and drinks at the hotel...$7 for a well drink...yikes! LOL

Oh yeah...accordimg to the office (I had called to find this out for myself) you meed to reach HOF points by end of August to get plaque the same year (at comvention).

Last edited by a moderator:
Why did they change the location for Convention next year? Oh well at least its still close for me to go. Can anyone post the Area shows?

Convention went very well - and from what everyone said to me they all really enjoyed themselves. To all of you who said it's too expensive - we on the West coast must travel much farther than a lot of you to get to Congress and Nationals. Convention is on the West Coast only every couple of years...IMHO you should quit complaining suck it up and go - just like we do. By the way - just TRY to find a nice hotel where you can have the meetings, banquet, and general meeting all in the same location....but then again I suppose we could all meet in a room at Motel 6 and have it catered by KFC or McDonalds!

Sorry - just more than a little tired of hearing folks whine about this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone commented on there being so much to see or do when Convention is held in Branson--but in reality there is LOTS to see and do in the Pacific North West as well. I would have loved to be able to go this year, but in all honestly I would have probably wanted to spend all my time driving around & sightseeing--I absolutely love western Oregon.

In all honesty, though, the NW is one of the most expensive parts of the US to get to from Manitoba. It's far cheaper (last time I checked) for me to get to southern California than it is to Seattle or Portland.

I hope someone will soon post some of the rule change proposals and tell us which ones passed and which ones failed.

Thank you Mark!!! I have wanted to say that all week, but have not had much time online. This was my first convention, cost me $380 for 4 nights (not at host hotel, but one within 1/2 mile), $100 in gas (over 9 hours driving time to get there) and then food expenses. Like Linda said, most expensive part was the food. I will say that with the economy being the way it is, it is hard for people to come up with airfare and such. More than half of my income is determined by tips, and the days I don't work, I don't get my tips, and only get minimum wage. So for me to be able to take the 3 days off and afford to come to this convention was huge, but I was able to do it. Next year's convention in St. Louis, I think I may only be able to go to one or two days as it will cost me much more for fewer days.

As for rule proposals, I have them written down, but that info is still in the car. Will post tomorrow if no one else does. Not to many things passed, I do remember that much.

Amanda

Mark - kudos to you and the entire hard working team for organizing a "first class" event. And the cost of the hotel was much less than I paid for a "Hampton" just last week and about half of what I would expect (or have paid in the past) to pay for a hotel of this caliber.

From the moment of check in with the bag of goodies, to check out all details were covered and I cannot think of one aspect of the event that did not go as good or better than planned. By the way, the banquet meal/food was exceptional as well! Also, don't forgot to mention the record breaking auction of which your group so graciously agreed to donate the total amount raised back to the organization. Again, my hat is off to you and the entire event organizing team - the amount of hours and effort that you put into making this event special was evident.

The Area 2 show will be held June 15, 16, 17 at Centerville, Michigan.

I agree with Mark on this...When I lived in the NW, it was expensive to travel to all other parts of the country for events (shows, convention, etc)...Now I live in Florida which is just as "bad" (expensive) for travel...and both Deb and I went this year! You know when it is a YEAR in advance, PLAN (budget) for it if you want to go! I like that they go to different areas every year, too. Yes, this was our 1st convention, but now that we have gone, we plan to go every year if we can. Area 8 put on an amazing convention...BIG shoes to fill for sure!!
default_aktion033.gif

Sorry I didn't write things down (except for dates for the "major" events), but by the time they got to that info, I had been "zoning" thru most of the meeting...lol
default_rolleyes.gif
) and they went thru it FAST and I couldnt write most if it down in time.

Wish I could have gone but can't afford it. No complains its fair to everyone that it rotates around the country. Glad it went well.

Any mini proposals passed or were they sent directly to the BOD? Where is Area 4 show being held?

Latest posts

Back