AMHA World Show/AMHR Nationals

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which of the "big shows" are you attending, and why one vs. the other?

• AMHA World Show

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • AMHR Nationals

• Both

• Total voters

ClickMini

Reaction score
This is a follow on to another thread...several people had mentioned that they purposely chose to attend AMHR Nationals over the AMHA World Show. I am curious, why one instead of the other?

New this year to showing miniatures so I am still learning. I only showed in a few classes in one R show this year, the rest of the year I went AMHA with Alladdin.

[SIZE=14pt]I am attending the AMHR nationals because I can go in any classes that I want and am not limited to only the classes that I got enough points in to go. If Im driving 2 days to get somewhere I better get my moneys worth![/SIZE]

Lyn

I guess I will start. We attend both or at least try to. They both are wonderful shows with awesome people!

They both have their positives and negatives. You can win at both or get your butt kicked at both. The only thing that pulls me to the A is the futurity money its incredible.

Just got back from Centrals and cant wait until we go back for the R nationals. Great facility!

I'm only going to A Nationals. My main reason for not going R is the rotten, frosty and snotty treatment I've gotten at R shows to date- far cry from the "come join us, we'd love to have you!" attitude so often promised on this board.

I will be going to the R Nationals. My main reason is that I have minis that are over the 34" limit and can take all of my show herd to that show. I can only attend one for financial reasons, so it has to be R for me cause I love my 'over' minis and think driving them is awesome. The guy in my avitar is the 2003 National 'over' pleasure driving champion. We will be showing 2 over minis and 2 under minis at the nationals.

I am truly sorry you didn't feel comfortable at the R shows. I do wish you would try again--maybe at a different place. I have felt comfortable at most R shows since we started showing in 1997. Good luck to all at Nationals and/or Regionals.

Angie

new_shocked.gif
Sorry you feel that way from R nationals, we are going to

have fun and see friends. We really enjoy R nationals. I would much rather

show at R than A any day! Linda B
yes.gif

[SIZE=14pt]Littleum where were these frosty shows???? I have not found it to be that way and Ive been showing here on the east coast since 1985![/SIZE]

Lyn

We go to the AMHA World Show mainly because ever since we have been in minis our market has been mostly AMHA horses so that's where we show. However we love the taller horses too which are only allowed in AMHR and if the AMHR horse demand for us ever becomes as high as the AMHA demand is for our horses then we would gladly go to AMHR Nationals as it sounds like it is such a blast!

Ginny Long

Lyn, you're welcome to drop me a PM. My first R show was in 1995 in New England.

I love tall horses, my black filly may go over and I hear great things about R constantly, so I will probably try it again eventually. I just enjoy my ponies and want to have a good time, and have no personal axe to grind on the matter beyond that.

Last edited by a moderator:
AMHR all the way well first off it started due to $ in So Cal it would have cost me about 100 bucks to do ONE CLASS and that was out of my trailer - AMHR was much cheaper - then I found for me personally that the demand and prices I was getting for R only was the same as for double reg or A only and then.. it just ended up I have a R only program now with both A and B size but focusing on the B

We entered AMHR but won't be going as we cannot do both and AMHA is where we are headed. Fuel is too high, there is just a wrong length of time between the two shows so we can't go to 'r' then 'a' like last year.

Why AMHA? Well, for one thing, that has always been our main focus, plus I am an AMHA director. I will miss going to Tulsa, that is a fun show, but we just can't do both.

I would love to do both, but it's almost impossible for me to be gone that long. Have done it, back when R Nationals was in Missouri we went for the youth 2 years in a row, then came back and did A Nationals too. I stick mostly to A shows now, and will go to the World Show. It's not a matter of only having A or R shows - there are many of both in Texas, just not enough time, money and energy to do them all.

Jan

We've gone to AMHA Nationals/Worlds only for the past ten years or so, simply because we started out in AMHA since our home club is an A only club, and there are only A shows nearby. At all AMHA shows I have been to, the people have generally been exceptionally friendly and helpful. I have seen absolutely none of the 'snobbery' that I have heard about on this board, so can't quite understand where that comes from. We are not going to Worlds this year though--we've decided to take a year off.

We might try AMHR Nationals instead next year or the year after, but that's mostly because of the convenience--it's so much easier and cheaper to qualify, and we just don't have the time anymore to go to the number of local shows that it takes to qualify for AMHA. Also, it will be interesting to find out if the claims that AMHR is more 'family oriented' are true and to see if it's less political than AMHA.

Good luck to everyone at both upcoming shows!

Back