AMHA Registration Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tracyCCF

Reaction score
Ok, here goes. I have a question about a mare I bought. I am not a newbie, by far, but for the life of me, I am confused. I dont know ifI am thinking this up, or it is in a rulebook somewhere. I looked on amha site but didnt see anything in the rulebook.

I have a Amha mare that i bought in the spring, a maiden mare, and about May after putting her out with the stallion , I noticed what I thought was, my stallion mount her ( not sure I saw anything else but I made note on my legal pad of that in mid May). I MUST HAVE BEEN WRONG ON THAT ONE.

Well Sunday, I was taking some pics for some people of the other mares in that field, and I thought, these horses are getting too fat, This mare has a fat pocket in front of her udder. I actually told my niece and mother, that mare is going ot have a baby, jokingly.

Well she did, last night, a tiny , tiny super black filly, only 16.5 inches tall. Filly checked out fine this morning by vet, mare is in great shape, full bag of milk. So all is well there.

Here is the delima. I checked the mares registration papers, and she is under 32 months. I didnt breed her, as I didnt own her then, and the previous owners, who owned her from birth are dumbfounded too. Although they only have one stallion, they dont remember him ever being in the pasture with this girl. I asked about any young stallions, and they said no, she was in only with two other girls. He said they might have gotten out, and put back up when found, but couldnt really remember.

My question is, doesnt Amha require the horse to be at least 32 months old. I dont mind dna testing her, but wont the age of the mare matter.

Am I imagining this, I have never in 20 years, ever had this happen, but for some reason, I was thinking that. I dont advocate young mares foaling, but this filly deserves her papers as well.

Oh crap, well thank heavens she foaled safely!!!! I would PQ the foal and I am sure, if the previous owners had her long, that their stallion found a way to breed her. I have known many to have been bred through a fence and one that was through a barn stall that had small open areas so they could 'see each other'. That lady had 5 stallions and had to DNA them all- that was back when that was not required. It was discovered that it was the guy next door in the barn that got to her. Keep in mind the small open areas also had fencing on them so they could not put their heads through.

Not sure about AMHA's current rule, but here is AMHR's current rule.

Part 3. Para B

No miniature foal may be registered out of a mare unless the dam has reached her third birthday (birthday as of January 1).

So if you were registering her "R" you are OK, just wait till you find out who her sire is before you register the filly. I had to do that this year as I had a mare foal that I know I did not breed, but she had other ideas and gave me a beautiful black pinto colt. Since he was the color he was I started with the stallion that I thought it might be and would have worked my way through the other stallions, but I got it right on the first try.

Glad to hear you have a healthy little filly.

AMHA doesn't have a minimum age requirement for mares. You will need to DNA and PQ the foal so hopefully, you can find out who the daddy is!

I am sure she was not listed on their stallion report either, so that will have to be fixed once the parent is recognized

Thanks so much. I was just thinking in my head that amha wouldnt recognize the mare under 32 months.

The rest I am ok with. I have had so many babies over the years, but none born to a (under three) mare. I think the baby is spectacular. She is tiny, blue black, and so so refined. Just a picture.

The stallion who has to be the daddy is a Buckeroo son, and the mare is a L and D scout granddaughter, and this filly is special, and deserves its papers.

These people that raised her , only have one stallion, so that is a good thing. I just now have to get the paperwork done, and prove she is who she is.

Thank you all , i appreciate the quick responses of this forum.

Hope all goes smoothly and we want PICS!!!

CONGRADULATION :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

Cannot wait to see her Picture.
default_wub.png
:

Yep. Becky is right. AMHA doesn't have an age requirement like AMHR does. And since the previous owners only have one stallion, that simplifies things! Now it's just the headache of filing a late stallion report and having the baby PQ-ed! Yay! :aktion033:

Looking forward to seeing what your new filly LOOKS like!

MA

Latest posts

Back