AMHA members poll

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you want to see taller minis added

• For adding taller horses

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Against adding taller horses

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I voted that yes they should but I think only if it is out of two A parents and happens to go over and if it is used as breeding stock only. A division is under 34 and should remain that way, you can show the taller ones at the R shows as well as the small ones. I have no desire to make my 36 inch mare an A mare as she is not from two A horses. I do not expect to show her A either. I would however be dissapointed if I bred my 34 inch mare with an A stallion and ended up with a 36 or 37 inch offspring that would only be registered R. If it was confirmationally what I was looking for for breeding I would like it to retain A (breeding stock) status so that if I bred it to a small stallion and got an under 34 I would not have to turn around and hardship that one into A.

Also, why does evey other horse breed measure at the whither and miniatures don't? What was the thinking in that decision? Just curious.

Well I'll put in my 2 cents worth here. I voted no they shouldn't allow the taller horses. Now all of you are saying that the taller horses have more animation and movement, of course they do, and an arabian, QH, or thoroughbred does too, but you know what this is a MINIATURE horse registry. I'm not advocating breeding a structurally incorrect horse because he/she's small, but as long as the horse is correctly built then yes smaller is what the MINIATURE breed was started for, at least in my opinion.

HGFarm2 I do believe that the reasoning for measuring at the last hairs of the mane rather than the withers allows the horse to measure 1-2" shorter than the withers (depending on each horse of course). So already as someone (sorry I can't remember who) has already said the horses in Ireland are registered as the same but are 1-2" smaller than our US horses because of this. We are already allowing the taller horses in just by the way we measure JMHO.

edited for spelling

Last edited by a moderator:
I think AMHA should have a breeding stock division for the amha registered horses that go over. I do not think they need to add a new show division BUT to just dis allow a horse that has multiple generations of AMHA pedigree because it "went over" has always seemed a bit dumb to me.

Would like to see the taller as breeding stock only.

Latest posts

Back