AMHA Mail Voting

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rabbitsfizz, perhaps if you can get a bylaw change worked up with Tony then maybe you can get a group here in the U.S. behind your proposal who can go to the meeting and vote????????

I also am WAAAAAAAY in favor of some type of remote voting.

When the issue arises of the voters not having all the information for and against the issue they are voting on I wonder...... Why can't the committee working on that particular proposal have a list of 10 pros and 10 cons for each issue. The membership then should have enough info to vote with knowledge. Don't you think? Or not?

Charlotte

[SIZE=14pt]There's no reason in the world why AMHA or AMHR can not have on-line voting by it's members! They could even have on-line meetings if they wished! Didn't they just spent a ton of money to upgrade their online servers and computer systems? We have an on line meeting monthly for the SmallestHorse Group and vote on all kind issues! If I can do it from my little home office, surely a BIG outfit like AMHA or AMHR could do it without even blinking an eye! IMHO! I think they are dragging their feet to keep the full membership from casting a vote on major issues![/SIZE]

Bill

Thank you for posting this information here Tony.

You know I respect your commitment and passion for Minis as well as the personal time you and all the volunteers give to our organizations.

I do agree that on occasion at the National Meetings (both A & R), I've had my original thoughts swayed by the arguments presented as details I hadn't considered came to light. That is no different than hearing about something to vote on at the state or national level, but once reading all the literature, I've often changed my mind. Some things just seem very black and white, while others do have many shades of gray to consider!. That though does not mean that only those that can attend convention should vote! To me it's very 'superior' attitude (not you Tony but the idea) that only those at the convention have the ability to make informed decisions. With today's technology where meetings could be live online and transcripts available within minutes if not hours - people could be informed!

As to the belief that only a small percentage would take the time to vote anyway, that is about the same as the few hundred of people that attend the conventions - it's not like thousands of concerned people are at the convention, it's generally, what, a few hundred people?

I do have to say though at least with AMHA at the convention I do get to vote! I was a bit surprised at the AMHR convention and how that was all handled! Well I won't go there.

That said, no I haven't served on any committees nor tried to make any bylaw or rule changes. For one I didn't really understand the whole committee process at the Convention, but that is another long thread! Yes, I would like to see voting changes, but have never considered changing the bylaws, I would support a well thought out and well written change though! Fortunately I have the ability to attend the meetings if I feel strongly enough to about an issue to go and vote.

I do feel though that with today's modern technology that online voting could be in place in the next few years. There can be Forums like this for discussion/debate of things up for a vote, etc. - it can be member only. The B.S. about security and who would actually be voting - please! We all have member numbers, there is wonderful security programs out there and counting even a few thousand votes could be done manually if need be. Perhaps AMHA would consider setting up a test site to see how many people would try voting and how closing it mimics the vote at the Convention? I do take the surveys Alison sends out too.

As for my regional directors - I do contact my directors when needed, but to date do not get regular updates from them! I do think it is EVERY Director's responsibility as the representative for their area to have communications be a two way street! If the lines of communication are open and I ever actually heard from my Directors regarding AMHA (or AMHR) business I would be surprised.

Which I must give a big PLUG for Dave Miller and Sheryl Petersen for the NWMHC for keeping their members informed and asking the hard questions when needed!!!

It is important for ALL of us whether AMHA or AMHR to know what is going on with OUR organization and be informed to make educated decisions. It is hard to make attending conventions a priority and I don't always. I have never regretted attending one, but it is a commitment of personal time and money to go. I do hope more people will make the effort to go. The people that plan these work very hard on these and they are educational and important if you're serious about owning/breeding/showing minis!

I think that using the "small numbers" that responded to voting for directors as your baseline is a little short sighted. I personally would vote on issues....especially if it is presented like they do in voters pamphlets were they state the proposal and then list pros and cons. If I don't know the people that are up for elected positions(or at least read about their positions on things)I often don't vote as I don't feel I can make an informed choice.......which is one of the reasons I think you have a low response when you asked for mail-in votes for directors. Thanks for starting this thread though!

Years ago, I DID try to approach my Director to tell him about my thoughts on a subject. As I started my sentence, he guessed what I was going to say, he said "No!" turned and stalked away. So much for our directors listening to and putting forth our ideas at meetings.
Perhaps this is why the voting for directors, etc.. is so low?? Due to the 'DONT ASK!' responses given by some, maybe members feel that it doesnt do any good to vote on who is going to be in the position? People will not bother to vote if they feel they are not really making a difference or being effective - that it 'doesnt matter'.

I, for one, would also love to see issues on a ballot so that I myself would have a say. If we are not represented effectively, how else will we ever get anywhere?

After serving two years on my state's club BOD, and putting up with the 'it's all about me' attitude from some of my peers, I can see where some folks only worry about what is good for them or what THEY will get out of it, not thinking about the massive amount of other members who would like their points brought up and considered.

The club belongs to the MEMBERS, not just a few and there MUST be a more effective way of doing this.

As someone stated before, you can order pizza online but we can not vote online? Why is it we can vote for our United States government via mail but not in a horse club? There has got to be a way to make it fair for all AMHA members as this is a club of members, not just the ones financially capable of attending the convention.

Yes, over here, too, we can vote on line.

I just retaxed and insure my vehicle online.

I do not remember my government waiting for the matter to be raised and then taking two years to vote it in- the technology was available, so they did it and that is what the Registries should do as well.

Thank you for posting the info, Tony, it is useful to know exactly what red tape we have to unravel in order to get a simple thing instigated that the majority of people would appear to want.

I do not, however think I should have to go through all that in order to get something done.

Why is everything so complicated??

On-line / postal voting is required- it is up to the BOD to get it done- I see no reason why it should be any more complicated than getting it set up and on line in exactly the way the "world" Show was televised- just get it done- IF no-one ever uses it, THEN that is the time to say "We aren't ready for it" NOT before it is set up.

Just get off your backsides and do it- OR at the very least, give us a breakdown of how much it would cost and why you do not want to do it at the moment- maybe there is someone out there who has the expertise and would be willing to do it for nothing!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sorry, but you, or the board can't just "do something" because they or you want it. We are governed by our Bylaws and the section on voting is below. It lays out the way to change it, but, as you have pointed out, many people don't want to bother. So things continue "as is."

Article VI Section 4, Voting

(A) Regular Members

All Regular Members who have attained the age of eighteen

(18) years as of thirty (30) days preceding such

meeting and who have been Regular Members for at

least six (6) months are entitled to vote on any matter

before the Annual Meeting or any special meeting.

Whenever in these bylaws the term member or members

shall be used unless otherwise specified, it shall mean a

member(s) in good standing having the right to vote.

(B) Associate Members

All Associate and Youth Members are entitled to speak

concerning any matter before the Annual or any special

meeting but are not entitled to vote.

© Quorum

At any meeting of the members of the Association a quorum

to do business shall consist of the majority of the

largest number of Regular Members in good standing

that have registered at such meeting.

(D) Proxies

Voting by proxy shall not be permitted.

(E) Special Measures

An affirmative vote of two thirds of the registered

Regular Members present and voting at any Annual or

special meeting shall be required to: amend a Bylaw;

amend the Articles of Incorporation: or dissolve the corporation.

Proposals to amend a Bylaw; amend the

Articles of Incorporation: or dissolve the corporation may

be proposed at an Annual Meeting and voted upon at thenext Annual Meeting. Proposals to amend a Bylaw;

amend the Articles of Incorporation; or dissolve the corporation

may be made by a petition signed by at least

five (5) percent of the voting members as of the April 1st

preceding the meeting, or by a majority of the Board of

Directors, and notice of such proposals shall be published

in the Miniature Horse World or by mail to all

members, at least sixty (60) days prior to the next Annual

Meeting or special meeting. Requirement for due notice

of intent to amend a Bylaw; amend the Articles of

Incorporation; or dissolve the corporation shall thus be

deemed satisfied and next Annual Meeting or special

meeting may proceed to take final action. All bylaw