AMHA Mail Voting

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony

Reaction score
I have purposely stayed out of the discussion of the various groups recently proposed and started, but choose to respond to Rabbitsfizz numerous posts about mail in voting. For your remembrance, here is one of them:

Very succinct BUT I have to take task with the statement that certain things have been voted on "by the membership" this patently is NOT true you only have to look at the reactions to these problems here on this board.

They have been voted on by the very small, non representational numbers of members present at the meetings IF you gave out postal voting, or even better on line, as has been requested over and over and over ad nauseum you would at least get a fair representation.

I would not necessarily get my way on measuring/hardship/ shows etc but at least I would have had my say, and I would know that the judgement was truly one of the membership instead of a few individuals lucky or determined enough to get to the meetings.

Your voting system is outdated and non-representational, it is time you upgraded it, and quickly, too.

I do truly believe that this one action alone would go a long long way to restoring peoples faith in the AMHA.

I have none at the moment, much as I respect the succinctness and professional approach of your reply it does not actually give any answers nor explain why things are the way they are.

Give us a voice.

What are you afraid of???

I cannot address the current issue since I am not currently on the board, but can give you some historical perspective, which may or may not help in your understanding. Seven years ago, when I was President of AMHA, one of my goals was to start mail in balloting because of a number of people wanting it. I personally, having attended almost every Annual Meeting/Convention since AMHA began, knew that I had on many occasions changed my mind, which was firmly set before the meeting, after hearing the discussions at the meetings, but wanted to represent my members of the Region that elected me, so investigated the ballot issue.

Unfortunately, in most instances, we found after much research that only a tiny fraction of our members participated in mail balloting for directors or even surveys. That led us to believe that same people, and likely not all of them, would be the ones voting on other issues. I don't remember the actual numbers, but I think that the usual vote was from 1% to 10% in most regions. The cost for those regional votes were somewhere in the range of $4,000, I believe, so the cost for the entire membership would likely be much more, likely in the range of $10-15,000. At the time, as now, I would imagine, we were trying to make sure that each project was self-funded so the question came, how would it be paid? After study, it was proposed that those choosing to vote "in absentia" request a ballot and pay the costs of the program. Since it would be a savings to only have people request a ballot, the assumption was that the cost would be similar to a "Regional Election" so using the amount of $4,000 and the "worst case" scenario, if 1% of our membership, or 120 people chose to "vote by mail" instead of attending the meeting, the cost per ballot would be $33. If the ballots were sent to everyone, using the cost of $15,000 and the same 120 people chose to send in ballots, the cost per ballot would have been $125. I don't recall anyone who worked on the idea at that time being in favor of it and the costs.

Of course, by now, the technology has improved greatly and perhaps the costs would be less prohibitive and there may be ways to do it. If you are a member of AMHA and want it, write your director NOW. It is less than two months from the Convention time. Write. No one is a mind reader, even your executive committee and your elected directors. Express your opinions clearly, briefly, and in writing. That way each director knows your desires and will take them to heart and physically take them to the meeting. At the current time, that is your weapon and aid. Many talk. Few write. It is human nature to take the easy route, GRIPE, rather that ACT. ACT by WRITING. If you are NOT a member of AMHA, you should be if you want to effect anything regarding the registry and the industry. If you want to have only a pet, or horses over 34", then you don't have to worry about AMHA and as Mike Want says, "God Bless".

This post is NOT an invitation for flaming or argument. It is a perspective from someone who has taken the time, money, and effort to be active for the industry. By the way, in spite of ideas to the contrary, I am not, nor have I ever been one of the "big rich farms." When I first became active on AMHA committees, I was making $17,000 as an assistant manager for a fast food restaurant, and took my vacation time to attend the meetings and national show. I sometimes clipped horse for shows at 1 in the morning after getting off work at midnight and slept in a stall at the shows because I could not afford the show AND a motel, so I understand the plight of many, many of you. I could go on, and actually did, but decided to take the judicious route and delete the remainder.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Tony. I for one will be taking your advice. I appreciate you taking the time to boot us in the rear. This type of explanation into the workings of implementing a change is what we need.

You are one of the major influences to me with what you have accomplished and I don't want what you and others like you have accomplished all these years to be lost. We all need to contact our Directors NOW.

Thank you Tony. Your absense from the posts concerned me...you have no idea just how much you are admired.
default_yes.gif
: :aktion033:

Couldn't there be such a thing as on line voting? No postage needed. AMHA members would have to register with their AMHA membership numbers to vote.

Still I wonder why, after the pros and cons had been thought out, why they could not be posted on a website for all to read and consider before making their votes. Instead of being at a meeting and listening to the debate, people could read it from home instead.

If I had a chance to vote by ballot, I would. I am all for it!

Years ago, I DID try to approach my Director to tell him about my thoughts on a subject. As I started my sentence, he guessed what I was going to say, he said "No!" turned and stalked away. So much for our directors listening to and putting forth our ideas at meetings.

I would love to see voting for those of us who can't attend the meetings. Not all of us would, but it would be great to those of us (MANY) who DO want it.

I'm not flaming anyone and I hope no one flames me for MY feelings.

I think it would be most beneficial, if one could find one's area director and their contact information SOMEWHERE on the AMHA website.
default_wacko.png
: . Or if it is hidden somewhere, it would be nice to know where!

Thanks for posting, Tony! I think you have access to information and figures that many of us don't. It helps all of us to make decisions when we are better informed.

That leads me to my next point.

I am all for membership voting by those that cannot attend the annual AMHA meeting for whatever reasons. I can see where postage and paper may be cost prohibitive to vote by mail in ballot, but in this day and age of electronic technology, it's quite feasible that voting by phone or computer is entirely possible.

Either could be set up to where members only can vote and only one time by using a pin number or some such.

As far as being informed on issues, quite simply, on every issue brought up for vote, there could be a list of 10 pros and 10 cons. Members would then have the information they need to make an informed decision.
default_smile.png

Tony I have heard those numbers before as well as been to elections for AMHR directors where there was 30 people in the room for an area.

I do understand those type of issues and wonder if there could be an online type of voting not for every issue but for major issues that could then be somehow presented to the BOD to go from there- that way at least if nothing else the BOD could see how the majority of members feel about something and enable them to have that in there minds as they make there votes?

I also realize everyone has different ideas about big rich farms and that for many (not just the new IAMHA) being a founding member or being very active on the Exec BOD really does not only take alot of time and devoition for them and time from family, and money spent to get to those meetings and such to become part of the board but of course those positions come with there perks as well. The biggest one being well first off on the "inside" and being able to be a huge part of marketing plans not only of the registry but being able to use them yourself after seeing what works and what doesnt.

Therefore enabling many to sell horses for huge amounts of money and ensuring they become one of the "big dogs" in the industry.

Now before anyone gets there panties in a bunch while I did say and most of us know that is a perk- it is one that does come with the "job" so to speak and I not only realize that but don't see anything wrong with it either.

Just like anything those using Miniature horses as a business do what they need to to keep that business going strong. Those that got in at the right time made money hand over fist for a while and some have built on that with marketing, promotion and there programs and are still able to do so

And that is great for them they shouldn't be punished for getting in at the right time, doing what they need to to make there buisness grow and stay strong - including helping and bettering the registeries.

I think that what many of those "founding" farms don't see or what many "small dogs" are trying to say is that due to timing, changes in the market, changes in affordablity so therefore the sheer amount of people that own/breed minis now there is not as much as chance for the abundunce of "little dogs" to play with the big ones anymore without really investing alot of money.

Again don't get me wrong the way I see it in ANY business it is all about spending money to make money- doing what you can do get that promotion - give yourself the edge among the competitors both in the ring and outside of the ring and one great way to do that is to be heavily involved in your breed registry

It sort of becomes a cycle, so many minis bred they are now an every day occurance not the "rarity" or "exotic" like they were so of course prices are down, there is plenty available for a pet market at a very affordable price unlike years ago when anything registered sold for A LOT!

Leaving more people wanting to breed- some strictly on the numbers they have heard from years ago not realizing that was years ago and a small percentage of farms are able to get that. The rest really have to pay there dues. No longer are minis an instant get rich scheme or business plan.

Me personally I have decided after the past week alot from these threads alot from what has gone on in our own lives....

The "big dogs" the businessmen/woman, the professionals I have nothing against them in fact I am envious of the forsight and determination it took them all to get there.

Me I don't have time or energy to try and make my way to the top, or to really in all honesty be to overly concerned with what goes on up there either. I have a voice, can speak my mind and what happens after that is out of my control

They shouldnt have to defend or pretend they arent there, and I don't need to make excuses as to why I am not. Without either the big dogs or the little dogs this industry wouldnt survive - we ALL HAVE OUR PLACE!

Those that try and short cut it to that "status" usually come crashing down, those that are there and stay there for the long haul are usually there for the right reasons and hey someone has to step up, go to all the conventions and meetings, do all the volunteer work, put in all the hours and make all the sacrifices. I may not like there choices in fact I am sure more often then not I don't but I choose to spend my time with my family, my horses and accept for lack of a better term my "position in the pack" so then so be it.

The more this week has gone on the more I am pleased with my "position in the pack" I am not a somebody in the world of minis and that is ok, I don't have a barn full of National Champions nor do I have the drive or desire to put the time , money and effort into having that barn full of National Champions so why would I look down on someone who does? and why on earth would someone who does feel the need to look down on me and count me as unimportant? in reality I am there bread and butter

I have to truly remember there are many things in this world I don't like but no one said the world would run according to Lisa

Bottom line just like in the goverment, many things effect me and many things I don't like however there are truly very FEW things I am truly passionate about- or i would be willing to truly make the sacrafices needed to change them

Ok so I have been rambling..... I have been up for 24 hours with a hysterical little girl who lost the best friend she has ever had who looks at me and tells me without my horse I am just dead inside- tell ya what that has sure brought me back to reality and reminded me to fight those battles I am only truly passionate about or I will get off my rather large rear and DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

For now leave me in the middle of the pack to go out every day and spend the time I need to with my horses,yes my *gasp* pets - enjoy the show ring for the friends it allows me to make, accept my personal goals are different from others and get on with it.

Last edited:
I think it would be most beneficial, if one could find one's area director and their contact information SOMEWHERE on the AMHA website. . Or if it is hidden somewhere, it would be nice to know where!
Go to the AMHA page right hand side on the bottom regional map. Click there click on your region theres your information.

...Unfortunately, in most instances, we found after much research that only a tiny fraction of our members participated in mail balloting for directors or even surveys. That led us to believe that same people, and likely not all of them, would be the ones voting on other issues. I don't remember the actual numbers, but I think that the usual vote was from 1% to 10% in most regions.
Tony this begs the question then how many actual attendees are there then that usually attend the conventions? Is it a greater or lesser amount than the "tiny" fraction who wanted to be able to have the option to vote by mail?

Frankly, most people don't want to be bothered with surveys and the like because most are marketing ploys, however something like the ability to have a voice in the organization is quite a different matter. Yes, technology has improved and the org knows this has been a long standing issue so it seems there is a different agenda behind not going forward with it than just money alone.

... Many talk. Few write. It is human nature to take the easy route, GRIPE, rather that ACT. ACT by WRITING. If you are NOT a member of AMHA, you should be if you want to effect anything regarding the registry and the industry. If you want to have only a pet, or horses over 34", then you don't have to worry about AMHA and as Mike Want says, "God Bless".

Many of us HAVE written to our regional directors and never received any response. Personally, after 4-5 attempts I gave up and rather than maintain membership with an org that has appears to have little concern for it's members so I opted out until significant change occurs.

And yes I consider mine pets but they are of a quality that could easily hold their own in the show ring. Registration affords "pets" more value than grades so it is important, even to us lowly pet owners. It's that kind of attitude that drives the bread and butter members away from, not to, AMHA.

Last edited:
To find your director on the AMHA web page, click on the Regional link on the right hand side of the page.

I would suggest that in addition to talking to your Director or in spite of it in REO's case, Please write out your rule change on this form;

(http://www.amha.org/pdf/memb/2007%20rulechangeform%20for%20website.pdf)

if the link doesn't work go to www.AMHA.org and click on the membership link on the left hand side of the page. On the membership page click on the forms link at the top of the page. Under the General/ Advertising/ Programs you will see Rule Change Proposal link.

Mail in voting would be a Bylaw change. Please be very specific in what you want. It is helpful for the committee if you include a letter stating what your intent and intended outcome is. This helps because often a change needs to be made to a rule change to make it not conflict with another Bylaw. The committee can make no changes that change the intent of the proposal. If we don't have something stating the intent then we can't do anything and have to leave it in a form that won't work and it fails. Sometimes just a slightly more concise process statement in the rule will not change the intent but puts it in a form that can work. If you are at the meeting you can state your intent and work with the committee but its good to send your intent ahead of time just incase your flight is cancelled.

As Tony stated last time this was to expense by snail mail and Internet voting systems were not secure enough yet. This has changed. Membership numbers could be used to log in and vote.

I would suggest just stating out with voting on Bylaws. They are the bedrock of the organization. Once that is in place everyone can evaluate how it is working and decide if we want to add more. The good thing would be that to make all voting by Internet would be a bylaw change.

Our contact information is also published in every Minature Horse World.

Another concern with the remote voting will be security to ensure that each person has only one vote, and is in fact that person.

Sadly in the bad old days, some people would pay to have members go to the convention to vote on issues that these paying people wanted influenced. They would also purchase memberships for people to try to influence the votes.

When I first ran for director I put on my application that I would try to provide assistance to any group wanting to make the changes necessary to address all of the concerns preventing the mail in vote. You know what? Not one person ever contacted me about it. Kind lead me to believe that people just wanted to gripe, not be a part of a solution.

At work my boss tells us to feel free to come to him and complain about anything, but when we are done venting, we had better have a proposed solution or our gripe is not valid and he doesn't want to hear it.

I will talk to the rest of the computer committee to see what options we might have for webcasting and electronic voting and will report back to you on it, but it will be up to those of you who want this change to do some work.

I too am not one of the wealthy, I work my 40 hours for the state of Ohio, save vacation time and money for the conventions and meetings, do all my own horse show work outside of my work hours. I do feel fortunate to be able to make these meetings a priority and that I am able to attend them.

Lisa, I am so very sorry for Raven's loss, that is so devastating to a young one, and while I know she will get over it, that is no consolation for her now. Tell her I so admire her for making that decision, that was a very loving and mature thing for a child of her age to make. I know a lot of adults who would not have been able to do that for their most beloved animal. You must be so proud of her.

Tony, I've been reading and waiting. Thank you for speaking out and giving us some insight into the problems of the being a representative. I have opinions on this topic (I'm not a fan of "changes" period) but I'm trying very hard to keep my mind open on this. I'm just a very little fish in a big pond and I think I perfer it that way. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Tony,

I appreciate you coming here to help give us information on past trends.

This will possibly help us to make an informed decision on where we stand.

I do think in this day and age........and possibly this new and improved system we are getting that it shouldn't be a problem to impliment some kind of online voting and research section.

Thanks again

Never mind..sorry about that!

Last edited by a moderator:
Another concern with the remote voting will be security to ensure that each person has only one vote, and is in fact that person.
Wouldn't the inclusion of the person's membership ID number when voting decrease the possibility of voter fraud? All it would take is someone with AMHA (or R) to keep track of what members have voted by checking their name off a database list, or something simple like that.

Thank you for answering that , Tony.

Just how do you get a byelaw changed to allow postal/online voting when you cannot get to the meeting to vote.??

As I stated - oh it seems like years ago!!- it is a catch 22 situation.

I need to be there to vote so that I no longer need to be there to vote, BUT I cannot get there to vote in the first place.

Do you see the problem??

I am by no means the only one.

Jane, any AMHA member can submit a Bylaw change. Just study the Bylaws and determine where your proposed changes would fit and write it. I will be happy to look at what you come up with and assist in any way that I can. It will be considered and worked by the Bylaws Committee and eventually go to the Board, then if approved for advancement, go to the annual meeting. No time like the present to get the ball rolling. You don't have to be there for the vote. Lots of changes have been passed that were presented by people not in attendance, but they had "all the i's dotted and t's crossed."

Here is the part of the Bylaw's that lays out the change procedures, in Article 4:

(E) Special Measures

An affirmative vote of two thirds of the registered

Regular Members present and voting at any Annual or

special meeting shall be required to: amend a Bylaw;

amend the Articles of Incorporation: or dissolve the corporation.

Proposals to amend a Bylaw; amend the

Articles of Incorporation: or dissolve the corporation may

be proposed at an Annual Meeting and voted upon at the next Annual Meeting. Proposals to amend a Bylaw;

amend the Articles of Incorporation; or dissolve the corporation

may be made by a petition signed by at least

five (5) percent of the voting members as of the April 1st

preceding the meeting, or by a majority of the Board of

Directors, and notice of such proposals shall be published

in the Miniature Horse World or by mail to all

members, at least sixty (60) days prior to the next Annual

Meeting or special meeting. Requirement for due notice

of intent to amend a Bylaw; amend the Articles of

Incorporation; or dissolve the corporation shall thus be

deemed satisfied and next Annual Meeting or special

meeting may proceed to take final action. All bylaw