AMHA - if there were a B division...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If the AMHA created a B division, and made it relatively cheap to register your AMHR horses with the

• I WOULD double register my B stock, AMHA/AMHR

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I would NOT double register my B stock.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ClickMini

Reaction score
It seems to me this is something that could bring a lot of quick cash into the AMHA coffers. I do not think I would join a third registry, but I myself would for sure bring all of my AMHR stock into AMHA if it were offered as described above, just as I have all of my under 34" stock double registered.

What do you think?

No. Anytime you have a quick fix to solve a money problem you have yourself another headache. No quick fix ever works in any organization. Just my opinion.

I like the 2 registries just the way they are. At the most i would go for AMHA having OS (over size) breeding stock with 1 inch maximum allowed. Stamp OS on the registration. Let the foals have regular AMHA papers at 5 if they are 34 and under. Nothing is "perfect."

So Bluebell, do you double register your under 34" stock? Why or why not?

I would- so fast it would make your head spin. ANYTHING to make my horses more marketable. Most of mine are registered both, but I do have several unders that I would love to register A, can't afford it. I only have a few overs, but to me, it would be worth it!

Lucy

My stallions are both AMHA and AMHR. I have AMHR mares only ranging from 30 3/4 to an old gal that is 36 inches. Their foals are AMHR regardless of their height. I have some mares that are double registered and yes i register their foals in both registries.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I would register my B's into A if it were financially feasible. One of the rreasons I would like to have it that way is because I then would have a choice of going to just one registry if there were a good reason for opting for one or the other. I think that one of the best ways for AMHA to get more members is for them to put in a B CLASS which would bring more money in through registrations and probably the shows too. I would love to have my B's in AMHA and I do think my voice would then be heard with just miniature people.
default_yes.gif
: I really would like to hear from those who are strictly AMHA as to the reasons they may not want the B class...it might change my mind. Giving reasons help the rest to understand a point of view of another. Mary

That really is what I am curious about too, Mary. If nearly everyone who has an under 34" horse has them double registered, why would they not want a B division for AMHA so those could also be double registered? I just don't understand the reasoning. It would give a person more options for showing, increase the value of their stock due to more showing opportunities for them, etc. I do believe if AMHA opened up a B division it could hurt AMHR Nationals to a point.

I do not have a broad experience with this. I have six minis, 3 are double registered, 2 are AMHR only--1 due to growing too much and losing her AMHA papers and the other because he has parents that are R only, and the last one is registered AMHR/ASPC. So I am all over the place, lol! I have only shown in one R show, and did attend R Nationals as a spectator. I have shown in some A shows, but have never been to the World Show, or even any regional championship for AMHA. I am fairly active in our local AMHA club, though.

I am just really interested in gathering info at this point. If AMHA did open up a B division I would surely take advantage of that for the two horses I have that are either over now or probably will be over. I am not one bit sure that I would join a third registry as proposed, unless it were VERY inexpensive for current AMHA members.

Personally, I would be just as happy if AMHA kept the 34" standard, but dropped their fees and the age 5 hardship requirement for AMHR registered horses. I have a lovely little colt who will stay under that I would just love to bring over to AMHA. I think if they are already registered with R and fall into the height categories for their age, they should be eligible to come into the AMHA, and at a reduced rate from standard hardship.

There are a lot of people out there that have a lot more at stake in this than I do, but I would like to know what the pros and cons would be in this scenario.

Actually yeah I would, if they tend to make this pernament as a B division.

However, I would like them to reduce fees for our A size horses with AMHR papers first just like AMHR does it with our AMHA papers.

I have double registered horses both A and R and I would not register my B horses with A. Not until they clean up their act. You can flame me all you want but the truth is AMHA has looked down its nose on B horses so long why would anyone want to put themselves through that. The problem with AMHA is their "elite" status it is not friendly to the little guy. How many amateurs compete in the open classes at Worlds and win. Not too many because it really does come down to who holds the lead shank. You can flame all you want but that is all I have heard and seen in all the time I have worked with or owned minis. At least with AMHR the little guy stands a chance in ALL OF THE CLASSES THEY ENTER! I continually hear how well Worlds does but the truth is they have half the attendance AMHR has and you can't attribute it all to "B" horses. Just compare the numbers between the A division at AMHR nationals and Worlds. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out AMHR has more A [under] horses showing than AMHA. I sincerely hope AMHA makes it, Tom O'Connell has done an amazing job with fixing the finances of the club but the attitude has to change to include the little guy. There are problems with both registries and they BOTH have to put their differences aside and realize its a MINIATURE whether its AMHA or AMHR promote THE HORSE.
default_wacko.png
:

Sorry for the rant! Linda B

I have double registered horses both A and R and I would not register my B horses with A. Not until they clean up their act. You can flame me all you want but the truth is AMHA has looked down its nose on B horses so long why would anyone want to put themselves through that. The problem with AMHA is their "elite" status it is not friendly to the little guy. How many amateurs compete in the open classes at Worlds and win. Not too many because it really does come down to who holds the lead shank. You can flame all you want but that is all I have heard and seen in all the time I have worked with or owned minis. At least with AMHR the little guy stands a chance in ALL OF THE CLASSES THEY ENTER! I continually hear how well Worlds does but the truth is they have half the attendance AMHR has and you can't attribute it all to "B" horses. Just compare the numbers between the A division at AMHR nationals and Worlds. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out AMHR has more A [under] horses showing than AMHA. I sincerely hope AMHA makes it, Tom O'Connell has done an amazing job with fixing the finances of the club but the attitude has to change to include the little guy. There are problems with both registries and they BOTH have to put their differences aside and realize its a MINIATURE whether its AMHA or AMHR promote THE HORSE.
default_wacko.png
:

Sorry for the rant! Linda B

I competely respect your opinion, and I understand where you are coming from. I am trying to learn, and I have a question..

I have seen the same judges judge under both AMHA and AMHR. Aren't they going to be judging the same in both registries?

Minihorses4ever... yes SOME judges are both AMHA and AMHR, but not a majority of judges. Judges are certainly going to have their preferences, too. But the competition of horses in the ring are not going to be the same between AMHA and AMHR... not all AMHA exhibitors show their horses in AMHR and visa versa, infact I'd also think a majority pick one or the other just because of time and money constraints.

Andrea

Minihorses4ever... yes SOME judges are both AMHA and AMHR, but not a majority of judges. Judges are certainly going to have their preferences, too. But the competition of horses in the ring are not going to be the same between AMHA and AMHR... not all AMHA exhibitors show their horses in AMHR and visa versa, infact I'd also think a majority pick one or the other just because of time and money constraints.

Andrea

Thank you for the response! I know of two judges down here who judged at an AMHR show, and then I saw both at the World show a few months later..

Currently all of our breeding stock are double registried in A & R anyway. And 98% of the rest of the sale horses are also. When we buy horses at a sale or private treaty if they are double registried it is a plus to us.

So in answer to the question, I would register the few that we have that are over 34" in an "A" oversize division. I think it would be a total of 3 or 4 of all of the horses we have, but we would do it. Additionally we would also show 2 of the ones that we have that are oversized and are now only being shown in AMHR.

I hope the powers that be could come up with a better name though for the group as I have always hated the conotation"B" horses. They are just as pretty and in some cases pretteier than the less than 34" horse and a lot of folks think because of the"B" conotation they are less desirable.

MEASURE ALL OF THEM AT THE WITHERS THOUGH PLEASE!!! :aktion033: :aktion033:

:saludando:

MEASURE ALL OF THEM AT THE WITHERS THOUGH PLEASE!!! :aktion033: :aktion033:

:saludando:
AMEN! How can we get this idea across to the powers that be?

Regarding the original question, I would double register an oversize horse IF I had one and if it was at a reasonable price. Whenever I buy an "A" only horse, I always register it into AMHR from its "A" papers and would do the same in reverse.

:aktion033: Bravo Linda B. I would be hard pressed to spend more money with AMHA at this point considering the service we receive and the already incredible prices on ALL of their services. Lets see if they can float financially first before I spend anymore on them with the rumors that are floating around!!! :new_shocked:

As I understand the proposal that stands, no I would not.

First of all, the pedigree would most likely read UNKNOWN. The offspring of AMHS horses would still be required to be hardshipped into AMHA if they stayed under.

Now if we could preserve pedigree, hardship horses in to AMHS and then have resulting offspring that stayed under at least get into AMHA at a very much reduced fee, then maybe.

Also as I understand it, this will not be a registry represented by shows. Just a way of preserving pedigree on a horse that you could possibly later hardship into AMHA.

Please if my understanding is wrong correct me but that is what I have gathered.

The way I understood this thread, it was to see if people would be interested in AMHA developing a B class, much the same as AMHR has. Not a separate registry as was previously talked about. I think a lot of people would like to see that and yet there are many other people to consider because they have worked with the 34" and under for a lot of years and may not want the taller minis in the registry. Will need a lot of discussion to see which is the best way to go. Mary

As I understand the proposal that stands, no I would not.

First of all, the pedigree would most likely read UNKNOWN. The offspring of AMHS horses would still be required to be hardshipped into AMHA if they stayed under.

Now if we could preserve pedigree, hardship horses in to AMHS and then have resulting offspring that stayed under at least get into AMHA at a very much reduced fee, then maybe.

Also as I understand it, this will not be a registry represented by shows. Just a way of preserving pedigree on a horse that you could possibly later hardship into AMHA.

Please if my understanding is wrong correct me but that is what I have gathered.

My very good friend that lives just a few minutes from me is carded both in AMHR and AMHA but is Not Carded for Modern Shetlands. But his x is all 3, but she now lives in S.D.

Without more information I would not. I would like to know if a B division AMHA horse would ----

* still have their pedigree listed no matter which division they came from.

* if an A crossed with a B papered horse produced a foal, would that foal be registerable at a "normal" price? And what would it be registered under???

* if two B papered horses produced a foal that matured to 34" or under would it be eligible for ....what??? And at what cost???

There are MANY variables that need to be covered here, which makes starting a NEW "over 34" registry a major headache, IMO.

Actually, it comes back to measuring all over again. If we change the method of measuring to be at the withers, then adjust the AMHA rules and regs to accomodate for the possibility that horses will measure taller -- some probably up to 36" -- there will be no need for ANY of this!

MA

I think there has been some confusion about my basic question. I am not supportive of a "new" registry, either.

My question is: "Would you register your 34-38" horses if there were a new height division within AMHA" (not the proposed AMHS). I also specified that there would be show classes offered for this division, it would have all of the rights and recognitions of the under 34" division. There would be recognition of horses that are already registered with AMHR, with a much lower registration fee structure for registering these horses. I believe if AMHA pursued this course, they would also need to accept registrations of AMHR miniatures in the under 34" divisions at the lower fee structure.

If AMHA pursued this strategy, I believe their membership, total horse registrations and show #'s would blossom, not to mention the financial bottom line. it would also be in line with the new emphasis on performance divisions. I really haven't seen anything on this thread yet that would convince this wouldn't be a good growth plan for this organization. Of course, it would need to be fully supported by current members of AMHA, and it looks like there are some good numbers at this point supporting this idea, as opposed to the idea of creating a brand-new appendix-style registry.

Latest posts

Back