AMHA Director Candidates and Their Goals if Elected

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mona

Reaction score
PLEASE NOTE: This is a COPY of a letter that has been emailed to all candidates that we know are running. If we have missed anyone, our apologies, and we ask that you please post your response here too! We hope to have not overlooked anyone, as this is very important to all members in the voting areas, and may help them to make an informed decision.

Edited to add: It was asked if C.A.R.E. is going to recommend/endorse any particular candidate(s). In answer to this, no, C.A.R.E. will not publically endorse any particular candidate(s). The purpose of our letter to the candidates is to find out about their AMHA experience in holding offices, serving on committees, their ideas to improve the AMHA to better serve the membership, their knowledge of AMHA rules and bylaws, and most important of all, their intent to follow and enforce all AMHA rules. We want to know their ideas on how to best solve the problems of measuring the horses, ideas to keep the membership informed of actions taken by the Board in a timely manner, and ideas on allowing the membership to take a part in the management of AMHA through a membership vote by mail or internet ballot.

Our purpose in asking the candidates to answer our questionaire and allow us to post their answers on the L'il Beginnings Forum is to inform as many members as possible to understand each candidates position on the issues that we have asked about. What we may personally be "for", you may be "against", so this is just to give the candidates a platform in which to reach many people that may be interested in how those candidates stand in these areas, and what is important to you, the voters. Each member of AMHA should make their own decision on which candidates to support for directors. One thing our group would suggest is to read the minutes of AMHA meetings held in the past three years and see how the directors that are asking to be re-elected have performed. Take care to note how the directors have voted on each issue that deals with violating the rules and bylaws of AMHA.

Another issue that has been mentioned is that some members would like to ask that any director that is planning to run for office next year to please post on this thread. Tell us your experience and ideas to improve AMHA. Tell us what office you will run for and your plans for AMHA. We know that AMHA will be electing a new president in February, and that one officer will not be eligible to serve on the executive committee since he has already served five consecutive years.

Our only goal is to furnish the membership with as much information as possible on all candidates for directors and officers in order to vote in an informed manner. Of course, as always our group supports those directors and officers that pledge to enforce all rules and bylaws and follow through with this pledge after they are elected.

Dear Candidate,

We are a group of concerned members of AMHA and have formed a group called Concerned Advocates for Rule Enforcement (C.A.R.E.). It is our belief that the bylaws and rules of AMHA should be followed and enforced by the Board of Directors in the exact manner as printed in the official AMHA Rule book. These rules have been approved by the membership of AMHA as the guidelines for which the Association is to be managed.

It has come to our attention recently that the Board of Directors has violated several rules and unnecessarily overturned the vote of the membership without proper study and consideration on several occasions. If the rules of the Association are not to be enforced for all members, it is just a matter of time until very serious problems will occur that could be very expensive to AMHA. The loss of members and registered horses will continue if the Officers and Directors do not strive to enforce all rules.

As you have accepted to be a candidate for a position on the AMHA Board of Directors, we would like to ask you some questions to help us understand your ideas, knowledge and experience involved with your decision to be a nominee. We would appreciate your answer to our questions and your permission to post your answers on the largest Miniature Horse Forum in the country, Lil Beginnings.com. This post will allow the members to know of your personal knowledge and ideas and help them become more informed before they vote for directors in their region. If you are already a member of the Forums at www.lilbeginnings.com and would prefer to post your answers there personally, please feel free to do so, but we strongly encourage you to answer these questions and allow them to be dispalyed publicly to better educate the voters in your area so they can make a well informed decision when it comes time to place their vote. The direct link to the "official" post is http://www.miniaturehorsetalk.com/index.php?showtopic=101895

Thank you in advance for your time and dedication to answer our questions.

1. What region will you be representing?

2. How many years have you been a member of AMHA?

3. Have you held an office in AMHA or served on the Board of Directors in the past? If so, please list the years you served.

4. How many AMHA Board of Directors meetings and Annual Meetings have you attended?

5. How many AMHA Committees have you served on? Please list the name(s) of the committees and the years served.

6. What is your knowledge of the bylaws and rules of AMHA?

7. Do you believe it is important for all candidates to thoroughly understand all AMHA rules before becoming a director?

8. If a member puts their trust in you by voting for you, can the member trust you to vote to enforce all AMHA bylaws and rules?

9. How many AMHA registered horses do you own?

10. Do you show your horses, and if so, how many shows do you attend each year.

11. Please tell us what you know about the failure of the last two computer software programs purchased by the Board of Directors.

12. How important do you think it is for AMHA to have an up to date computer software program and how quickly do you think one should be purchased?

13. What will you do as a director, to encourage the purchase of a computer program, and what are your ideas concerning hiring educated people in the field of software to study the Association's needs? Who do you believe should be in charge of purchasing the program?

14. Do you know how much money has been lost in the last two computer software programs that the Board of Directors has purchased? Do you agree that the membership funds cannot afford another failure?

15. Other than the reason of the economy, why do you think the AMHA membership has decreased in such a large number in the past few years, and what do you plan to do to rebuild the membership?

16. Why do you think the revenue from AMHA registration of horses declined almost $100,000 last year?

17. Do you support the closing of the registry when hardshipping brings in so much needed funds for the AMHA?

18. If elected, how would you as director feel about having a division for horses over 34 inches tall?

19. Where do you stand on the subject of full membership voting rights?

20. Will your vote at AMHA meetings reflect that of the majority of members in your area, or your own personal opinion?

21. Do you have the strength to oppose long standing BOD members if they are asking you to vote with them when you know what they are asking is against the AMHA rules or against the majority of your area members wishes?

22. Will you do your best to see to it that measuring at AMHA shows is done correctly in your area?

Please give us any ideas you have that you will work for to improve AMHA's financial situation, increase registration, show entries and serve the membership.

The most important question. Do you have the time in your daily life to give to AMHA and the membership to serve as a Director? Will you take the time to respond to members when they contact you by telephone or email to answer their questions and concerns?

Again, thank you for your time.

The C.A.R.E Group

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Mini Lovers,

Here is some information regarding my request to be your AMHA Director for Region 6.

I have been asked why I am running for AMHA Director in Region 6. Following is please is a little information that may be helpful when trying to make your mind up if I would be a good candidate for the Director’s position. I am Kenny Goodsell, married to Dianne Goodsell 19 years and I have 2 sons. Goodsell Miniatures located in New Braunfels, Texas. We currently own approx 50 miniatures and we show a few each year. We have sold minis worldwide.

Business expertise: 25+ years with AT&T. During this employment I was an Engineer, Long Range Planner and finally responsible for procurement and contracts for high tech goods and services for the phone company. Current owner and principal in a consulting practice, 7 years where I provide consulting services on business process improvement, marketing, computer analysis, supplier management and consulting to companies such as Panasonic, AT&T, Harley Davidson, International Truck & Engine, and GE as examples.

I have real world experience identifying problems in companies/organizations AND providing solutions and am currently on a Board so I am familiar with the operation of these types of organizations. I have also served on non-profit Boards.

Intentions/Positions:

1. Currently the management of AMHA has shown a lack of understanding of the computer process required to perform the requirements of a stud book and registry. With my understanding of computer systems and evaluation of those systems I feel I can have a direct and positive impact on the handling of the computer system of AMHA.

2. I believe that the rules, regulations and by laws of our registry’s original charter should be adhered to without deviation. If a change is needed then the proper motions, study and vote should be adhered to without fail.

3. Measuring, show rules, selection of judges etc. are all functions of our current by-laws and regulations and should be addressed only from that position, until and if the membership decides to change those rules and/or by laws

4. I pledge to be as open as I can in letting the members within my area know what is going on and being considered within their registry at all time.

I have learned that don't know everything and have admitted to many fellow mini lovers that I have a lot to learn about horses. My major contribution is my point 1, working to have a computer system that can provide the foundation for AMHA for many years. The most valuable possession AMHA has is the INFORMATION about our horses. The members care about registering their horses, showing their horses, selling their horses, having information about AMHA, measuring their horses AND loving their horses. I cannot help with the loving your horses, but that is not an area that needs improvement. All of the other issues members care about are impacted by the computer information system OR other technology. These are areas where I have demonstrated my ability to work at the Supreme Champion level and because I have been asked by many, many other members to run for a Director spot, I have joined this competition, albeit late. I believe the other candidates have the qualifications to be a Director and count many of them as my friends,however, just I believe my strength in the computer, technology and business problem solving areas place me in the top 3.

I respectively and humbly ask for you to vote for me as one of your next Directors of AMHA region 6.

Sincerely,

Kenny Goodsell

Would you please answer questions 15 thru 22... Your computer understanding will certainly help the club..

Thanks, Mary Lou and Care I appreciate the information and hopefully the rest of the candidates will post here also. So we can all have a look at them.
default_wink.png

Posted here on behalf of candidate Mark Wilson.

My name is Mark Wilson. I am currently a member of the AMHA Board, and have agreed to run for a second term of three years. I am not always politically correct but believe I can help the AMHA navigate thru the critical times ahead, so that it is alive and well for future generations. My background in the business world (corporate and my own business), information technology, and for the last 8 years, breeding, training, and showing horses gives me a solid base to work from. I have tried to answer the questions you have given me in a honest, straight forward manner. I have probably stepped on a few toes in the process, but I already said I am not always politically correct.

FOLLOWING ARE MY ANSWERS:

1. REGION 6 TEXAS

2. EIGHT YEARS

3. THIS IS MY THIRD YEAR TO BE ON THE BOARD. SERVED AS VICE PRESIDENT.

4. HAVE NOT MISSED A BOARD MEETING SINCE BEING ELECTED (PHONE OR IN PERSON).

HAVE ATTENDED FOUR ANNUAL MEETINGS.

5. SERVED ON COMPUTER COMMITTEE (2005,2006), AOTE COMMITTEE (2007,2008).

SET IN ON ALL FINANCE COMMITTEE MEETINGS AS THE MEETING SCHEDULE ALLOWS.

6. I HAVE READ THE RULEBOOK COVER TO COVER 4 OR 5 TIMES. MY PERSONAL OPINION OF THIS BOOK IS THAT IT IS HARD TO FOLLOW AND NEEDS REDOING. I BASICALLY KNOW WHERE TO LOOK WHEN I TRY TO FIND SOMETHING.

7. I WOULD LIKE FOR THE PERSON THAT SAYS THEY KNOW ALL THE RULES AND UNDERSTANDS THEM TO STEP FORWARD. I BELIEVE IT IS IMPORTANT FOR ANY BOARD MEMBER TO BE FAMILIAR WITH THE RULEBOOK AND KNOW WHERE TO FIND INFORMATION AND BE OPEN TO INPUT TO CLARIFY QUESTIONS.

8. YES, THAT IS WHAT I HAVE DONE AND PLAN TO CONTINUE TO DO.

9. 61 HORSES

10. I BREED, TRAIN AND SHOW MY HORSES. I ATTEND 4 OR 5 LOCAL SHOWS EACH YEAR, THE CHAMPIONSHIP OCCASIONALLY, AND THE WORLD SHOW EACH YEAR SINCE 2000.

11. FIRST LET ME SAY I WAS ONE OF A SMALL NUMBER THAT VOTED AGAINST THE LAST COMPUTER SYSTEM. A BOOK COULD BE WRITTEN ABOUT THE HISTORY OF AMHA IN THIS AREA. MY OPINION, IS THAT THE PROPER RESEARCH HAS NOT BEEN DONE INTIALLY. AFTER A DECISION HAS BEEN MADE A PROJECT MANAGER MUST BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE PROJECT. AGAINST MY RECOMMENDATIONS THIS HAS NEVER BEEN DONE. ANY PROJECT OF THIS MAGNITUDE MUST BE MANAGED, IT CAN’T JUST RUN ON ITS OWN!

12. I THINK IT IS IMPERATIVE TO HAVE A STATE OF THE ART SYSTEM. IN TODAYS WORLD DECISIONS ARE MADE BASED ON ACCURATE DATA, TIME AND TIME AGAIN WE HAVE TO SCRAMBLE FOR INFORMATION THAT IS CRITICAL TO THE DECISION MAKING PROCESS. THIS ASSOCIATION NEEDS TO BE TREATED AND RUN LIKE A BUSINESS, BY BUSINESS MINDED PEOPLE.

REGARDING A TIMELINE, AT THIS POINT WE ARE SO FAR BEHIND CURRENT TECHKNOWLEGY IT WOULD BE FUTILE TO RUSH INTO ANOTHER DECISION. THE AMHA NEEDS TO ALLOW THE PEOPLE THAT HAVE THE APPROPRIATE SKILL LEVEL TO RESEARCH AND MAKE RECOMMENDATIONS, AND THEN FOLLOW THRU OR ELSE WE WILL BE FACING THIS SAME ISSUE 5 YEARS FROM NOW. THIS PROBLEM WON’T BE SOLVED IN A SHORT TIME PERIOD.

13. I PERSONALLY HAVE 18 YEARS EXPERINCE IN INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY. A GROUP OF 3 TO 5 PEOPLE, THAT CAN SPEND A CONSIDERABLE AMOUNT OF TIME, SHOULD BE FORMED. THIS GROUP WOULD RESEARCH AND THEN RECOMMEND A SOLUTION TO THE BOARD. THIS PHASE COULD TAKE 6 TO 12 MONTHS. AFTER A RECOMMENDATION IS MADE THE BOARD CAN AGREE OR DISAGREE. COST WILL BE A CRITICAL FACTOR OBVIOUSLY. WHEN A SOLUTION HAS BEEN AGREED UPON SOMEONE MUST MANAGE THE PROJECT OR IT WILL BE DOOMED.

AS A SIDE NOTE IN 2005 THRU PART OF 2006, FOUR KNOWLEDGEABLE MEMBERS, THAT HAD INVESTED UNTOLD HOURS IN TIME AND MONEY WERE VERY NEAR A RECOMMENDATION, BUT A NEW REGIME CAME IN AND MADE A DECISION TO DISREGARD OUR WORK. THE CONTRACT WAS SIGNED FOR THE SOUTH AFRICA SYSTEM AND THE REST IS HISTORY.

FROM WHAT I HAVE SEEN, I DON’T FEEL THERE ARE ENOUGH PEOPLE CURRENTLY ON THE BOARD THAT HAVE ENOUGH EXPERIENCE TO MAKE A DECISION OF THIS MAGNITUDE. HAVEN’T WE PROVED THAT BY PAST DECISIONS? ON THE OTHER HAND, THE DIRECTION AND DECISION MUST BE MADE ACCORDING TO THE RULEBOOK.

14. WE CERTAINLY CAN NOT AFFORD ANOTHER FAILURE. I DON’T KNOW IF LOST IS THE CORRECT TERM, BUT I BELIEVE $110,000 WAS SPENT ON THE LAST SYSTEM. AGAIN I WILL REMIND YOU I VOTED AGAINST THAT SYSTEM.

15. IN ADDITION TO A PLAN FOR THE COMPUTER SYSTEM, I THINK THERE ARE TRHEE PRIMARY AREAS TO FOCUS ON:

INTEGRITY OF OUR SHOWS WITH FAIR MEASURING AND QUALITY JUDGING.

PROMOTION OF THE AMERICAN MINITURE HORSE

CONTINUITY WITHIN AMHA ELECTED OFFICERS

16. I SUSPECT THERE ARE SEVERAL REASONS SOME WOULD BE:

FEWER HORSES PRODUCED

FEWER MEMBERS

DISGRUNTLED MEMBERS

ECONOMY

THERE ARE PROBABLY MANY OTHERS

17. YES I FEEL STRONGLY ABOUT CLOSING THE REGISTRY. THIS SHOULD NOT BE A DECISION BASED ON FINANCES, BUT ON SOUND BUSINESS PRINCIPAL.

18. I FEEL THERE COULD BE A PLACE FOR HORSES OVER 34”. I HAVE BEEN INVOLVED IN DISCUSSIONS ABOUT THIS IN THE PAST. DECIDING HOW TO BEST INTEGRATE THAT SEEMS TO BE THE ISSUE.

19.I THINK MEMBERS SHOULD VOTE FOR OFFICERS. THE REASON I AM NOT PREPARED TO GO FURTHER, IS I HAVE SEEN TIME AND TIME AGAIN HOW MINDS ARE CHANGED AFTER THE DISCUSSION ON THE FLOOR ON RULE CHANGES. UNTIL WE HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY TO ALLOW PEOPLE NOT PRESENT AT THE MEETING TO AT LEAST HEAR THE DISCUSSION, I DON’T THINK MEMBERS SHOULD VOTE WITHOUT BEING ABLE TO HEAR ALL THE PRO AND CON DISCUSSION.

20. YOU WILL BE SURPRISED TO KNOW THAT IN MY ALMOST 3 YEARS ON THE BOARD, I HAVE HAD FEWER THAN TEN CALLS OR EMAILS ON HOW A MEMBER FELT ABOUT AN ISSUE. THIS IS A MEMBER OWNED ORGANIZATION, BUT ALL TOO OFTEN MEMBERS CHOOSE NOT TO GET INVOLVED.

21. I HAVE NOT BEEN ASKED TO VOTE ONE WAY OR THE OTHER. THAT IS PROBABLY DUE TO THE FACT PEOPLE KNOW I AM GOING TO VOTE MY CONSCIENCE.

22. I HAVE MADE THIS A PRIORITY FOR THE LAST 2 PLUS YEARS AND WILL CONTINUE TO DO SO. THE MEASURING AT THIS YEARS’ WORLD SHOW WAS THE BEST SINCE I HAVE SHOWN HORSES.

As requested here are my answers to all 22 questions. Feel free to send and comments or questions. Thanks for your time and concern as you work to make the mini world the best it can be. I share your goals.

Kenny Goodsell

1. What region will you be representing?

Region 6.

2. How many years have you been a member of AMHA?

Since 2001.

3. Have you held an office in AMHA or served on the Board of Directors in the past? If so, please list the years you served.

Never had the privilege.

4. How many AMHA Board of Directors meetings and Annual Meetings have you attended?

I have attended EVERY Annual Meeting since becoming a member and more than 50% of the Board of Director meetings even when I have not been on a committee.

5. How many AMHA Committees have you served on? 3. Please list the name(s) of the committees and the years served.

Marketing 2 years, Computer 2 years and Long Range 2 years.

6. What is your knowledge of the bylaws and rules of AMHA?

I have a fundamental understanding of the bylaws and rules. I am not an expert, but having been at many meetings I am not sure there is anyone who has a complete knowledge base in this area.

7. Do you believe it is important for all candidates to thoroughly understand all AMHA rules before becoming a director?

No. This would exclude new talent as it takes a few years and attendance/participation at many meetings/committees to acquire this knowledge base. That being said I do believe candidates who have a solid understanding of AMHA rules bring value that is important.

8. If a member puts their trust in you by voting for you, can the member trust you to vote to enforce all AMHA bylaws and rules?

Absolutely.

9. How many AMHA registered horses do you own?

Currently about 50. All of our horses are registered, as we believe in supporting AMHA. FYI about half of our horses are registered with AMHR and a few are also registered with Pinto.

10. Do you show your horses, and if so, how many shows do you attend each year.

We have shown every year since we got into minis in 2000. I have averaged 5 shows a year.

11. Please tell us what you know about the failure of the last two computer software programs purchased by the Board of Directors.

Quite a lot as I was on the Computer Committee for 2 years and am a consultant dealing with computer technology. I reviewed the existing situation at AMHA and was quite surprised at the history in this area, as well as the existing situation of having the inner workings of AMHA dependent on a computer system using a database that was as old as they had and as limited. I believe there is a similar situation with the web site.

I subsequently provided a proposal to the President of AMHA in 2007 for a computer program I and another businessman associate of mine had devised. In this proposal I had prepared a financial review of the operational workings and requirements for the 3 main categories a computer program must support, the studbook, the office and the show requirements. My proposal was projected to be financially neutral for AMHA given the financial situation. This proposal was not pursued.

12. How important do you think it is for AMHA to have an up to date computer software program and how quickly do you think one should be purchased?

The principal asset AMHA has is the horse registry information. The ongoing viability of AMHA is highly dependent on their ability to access and use this data now and into the future. I do not believe there is the option to keep the current system any longer than necessary. Purchasing a new system is a complex and critical task. I believe there should be an assessment of the business operation of AMHA and a determination made of what the next operational structure should be.

When AMHA was started the technology available was blue line paper and telephones. Over time we have seen the availability of fax machines, email, the internet, powerful affordable computer systems that can be networked, digital cameras and cell phones that can perform basic computing tasks. The availability of these capabilities needs to be considered relative to the operational process used by AMHA AND the available benefits need to be studied. It will not be the best path forward to simply put in place a new computer system that follows the old business practices unless these practices can be proven to be the most efficient. This is what businesses have done for the last decade or more to remain competitive and thrive.

13. What will you do as a director, to encourage the purchase of a computer program, and what are your ideas concerning hiring educated people in the field of software to study the Association's needs?

Run and be elected as a Director with your help and support. From that position I can provide the direction and oversight that in my assessment has not be available in the past. This is not a criticism of previous Directors, as this knowledge base is very specialized and acquired over time just like having knowledge on bylaws and rules. I was fortunate that my business career provided me with this knowledge.

I had prepared and presented a consulting proposal to the President and Executive Board last year to provide the assessment of the Association’s needs. This proposal; was not pursued. If elected as a Director I will be able to provide guidance in this area.

Who do you believe should be in charge of purchasing the program?

This ultimate purchasing decision is owned by the Board of Directors. They should determine the project scope, timeline and team.

14. Do you know how much money has been lost in the last two computer software programs that the Board of Directors has purchased? Do you agree that the membership funds cannot afford another failure?

I believe AMHA has spent approximately $400,000+ in the last few years on computer systems with very little to show for these expenditures. It is inarguable that this can continue given the limited financial resources.

15. Other than the reason of the economy, why do you think the AMHA membership has decreased in such a large number in the past few years, and what do you plan to do to rebuild the membership?

Boy, this is tough. I think are several factors at work other than just the economy or the price of fuel. There are in no particular order, there is a perception that the measuring is not done in a repeatable manner so there is the possibility of error. Given that we are a height breed this is a very important issue, also there is a perception that the judges favor trainers, AMHA doesn’t share information well and the shows are not fun and cost too much.

I believe measuring can be done better using the wickets and have experience in this area. I also believe that if the measurement of a horse was recorded into a computer system every time the horse was measured with the identity of the measurer we could track the variation of the horse’s height and the measurers’ accuracy. I also believe there should be a dedicated level place to measure horses and this site should be visible by all. I think we should review how judges are selected, maybe use a random selection system and have judges provide feedback on why they placed the horses as they did so folks can see why they placed where they did and what they need to improve on. I think trainers win more because they work more and devote more time than most amateurs, myself included. The minutes of the meetings need to be more comprehensive and posted on the AMHA web site. I do not have any silver bullets to make shows more fun or less costly.

16. Why do you think the revenue from AMHA registration of horses declined almost $100,000 last year?

There are multiple factors at work here, again in no particular order. Overall we have the perception problems described in question 15 and I know that some folks are expressing their frustration/dissatisfaction by not registering their horses. This angst also can be seen in weak membership and futurity numbers. The other area we have not be as successful as we would all wish is bringing in new members who will buy horses and register them. I believe this is driven by our lack of available marketing funds.

17. Do you support the closing of the registry when hardshipping brings in so much needed funds for the AMHA?

O.K. back to the tough questions. I believe we need to close the registry in the belief that this will eventually drive up the price of the limited supply. That being said I understand the argument that the gene pool is too small or since we are a height breed what if I find the best mare or stallion that meets the height requirement but was simply born too late or not registered before the close date. I believe we should allow a hardship but we would have a cost in the thousands of dollars to support the principle of closing the registry, but allowing for the extraordinary case.

18. If elected, how would you as director feel about having a division for horses over 34 inches tall?

I believe there is a place for horses over 34 inches at least as breeding stock. I am not sure having them shown makes sense as AMHA is recognized for this differentiation.

19. Where do you stand on the subject of full membership voting rights?

I am very much in favor of making it easier for all members to have the ability to vote. The current process results in decisions made at the Annual Meeting by typically less than 100 members. Depending on the total number of members, assume 6,500, this is less than 2% and is clearly a source of frustration. We could establish a system where all members could vote with technology and at little cost.

20. Will your vote at AMHA meetings reflect that of the majority of members in your area, or your own personal opinion?

About time there was an easy one, as I would be elected not appointed, I would represent the members. Fortunately I do not have to make my living in this industry and do not have to struggle with the conflict inherent with others. This is not a criticism of any individual, rather the understanding of the potential conflict one could face. I believe having Director participation by professionals and their breadth of knowledge is very valuable.

21. Do you have the strength to oppose long standing BOD members if they are asking you to vote with them when you know what they are asking is against the AMHA rules or against the majority of your area members wishes?

All day long. Ask anyone who knows me. Thanks for another easy one.

22. Will you do your best to see to it that measuring at AMHA shows is done correctly in your area?

Absolutely.

I appreciate your support and hope you will write in my name as one of the Directors for region 6

Sincerely,

Kenny Goodsell

You are very welcome. My experience has been difficult problems don't get fixed unless folks get involved. If elected I will be very involved.

Have a great weekend.

Kenny

I would like to hear from the other three declared candidates, in this forum.
default_saludando.gif

Mona have the other four been alerted to this thread? Mallory Fagan, Glen Matthews, Polly Weisburg and Teri Collins are who we are missing I think.

Of course I would hope they were already members of the forum. That would be a plus don't you think. Seeing as this has to be the most important of the forums out there for Miniatures. LOL
default_aktion033.gif

I would like to hear from the other three declared candidates, in this forum.
default_saludando.gif

Mona have the other four been alerted to this thread? Mallory Fagan, Glen Matthews, Polly Weisburg and Teri Collins are who we are missing I think.

Of course I would hope they were already members of the forum. That would be a plus don't you think. Seeing as this has to be the most important of the forums out there for Miniatures. LOL
default_aktion033.gif
Thanks John. Yes, we too were hoping we would hear from all candidates. We sent the letter (as shown in my opening post here in this thread) just as you see it, but without the parts in red. These exact same letters were sent in a separate email to each of the 11 candidates that we had confirmed that were running. Those names we sent to are:

Region 5

Sherry Crow

Jana Nichols

Natalie Roberts

Region 6

Ed Sisk

Glen Matthews

Gary Barns

Mallory Fagon

Polly Weisberg

Mark Wilson

Region 7

Clair Severson

Jim Barenklau

These emails were sent out on the same day and at the same time I posted this thread. I did get a call from one candidate yesterday from Region 6 and I am hoping they will post or send something to me to post for them here. I also just received the following from Polly Weisberg in Region 6, and have her permission to post her response to our questionaire request here:

I APPRECIATE THE FACT THAT YOU A PART OF A CONCERNED GROUP WHO CARES ABOUT THE FUTURE OF THE AMHA, BUT I RESPECTFULLY DECLINE YOUR OFFER TO HAVE ANSWERS TO YOUR QUESTIONS POSTED ON LIL BEGINNINGS. I AM RUNNING FROM REGION 6(TEXAS), AND I DO NOT FEEL THAT IT IS NECESSARY TO REPEAT MY CANDIDATE QUESTIONAIRE FOR THOSE WHO ARE NOT MEMBERS OF THIS REGION.
AGAIN, THANKS FOR ASKING ME.
I sure hope we hear from all candidates that have agreed to accept the nominations.

Also John, I just wanted to add...those responding do not have to be members of Lil Beginnings. I have offered in each letter sent, to post it for them if they send it to me with their permission to post, so that should not be a reason for not offering a response here.

Thanks Mona, I hope they all take advantage of the oppurtunity. Thanks for all your efforts.
default_aktion033.gif
default_yes.gif
default_biggrin.png

Wonderful thread Mona. I feel that the two people running for our area directorships are very well gualified and have always had our best interersts at heart, but I never have asked them point blank how they feel on issues 17 and 18. I am going to call them up today and find out. These two issues are very mportant to me as a breeder, because it is hard to make long term plans until you know which way it will go. Thanks, Renee

Posted here on behalf of and with permission of candidate Polly Weisberg (Region 6). She declined earlier but has now changed her mind and wishes to have her answers made public here, as she did not realize the questionaire was sent out to all candidates in all the areas.

1) what region will you be representing: region 6

2.) how many years have you been a member of AMHA? 20

3) have you ever held an office in AMHA or served on the BOD in the past? BOD 1997-2000 and 2003-2006.C

4) How many AMHA Board of Directors meeting and Annual Meetings have you attended? Attended every BOD meeting when I was in office, and several times beside that. Attended 19 Annual Meetings.

5) sixteen years on Show Rules, Co-Chair of Amateur Committee, a position I currently hold, and held in 2003.

6) think I have an excellent understanding of the By-Laws and Rules.

7) absolutely-I do not think that you can vote intellegently without this knowledge.

8) I would certainly hope that members can trust me to vote to enforce rules and regs.

9) 60

10) yes, I show, and attend somewhere between 6-8 shows a year.

11) not much-computers are not my best subject, but do not think they were properly supervised either by the Board or the designer of the system.

12 ) obviously, it is extremely important, but we need to move with caution given our past failures and expenditures without results.

13) check into other breeds programs and see why they are/are not successful. do not think it is necessary to reinvent the wheel. I feel that we have many members who are invovlved in computer technology on a daily basis, and they should be consulted before we jump off again. I do not feel that we used the Computer Committee to full advantage in the past.

14) I would guess in the neighborhood of close to $500,000.(plus or minus). We certainly cannot afford another faillure.

15) we need a more active membership committee-we need to find out why people left AMHA, and what we can do to bring them back. we need to revue costs against revenue. a lot of people are very unhappy with the measuring system, and the perception that we keep using the same judges all the time.

16) see 15.

17) no-at least not for breeding stock.

18) that would go against our standard of perfection. again, see 17.

19) I realize that a very small percentage of members decide the officers, but you really need to be at the National Meeting and listen to hear all the discussion. This also applies to decisions made at the Meeting-you would be surprised how often you change your mind and vote differently than you first thought.

20) I would certainly hope so. Interestingly enough, when I was a Director, I got very few calls from members asking for help or questioning a Board decision. It is my feeling that if you are a concerned member, you should contact the Board Member/Members from your region.

21) As a past Board Member, I voted against several issues that I felt were being pushed through. Personal agenda has no place in a Board vote.

22) we all know that measurement needs to be changed, whether through use of a laser gun, wickets etc.

No 2 people measure alike, nor does the horse stand squarely every time. The ability to protest a measurement is every members right and privilege. I think that if a horse measures at the Regional Championship Show, that it should be given a card to be used at the National Show. This would cut down on time and expense.

Polly,

Thanks for sharing your perspective, experience and positions.

Thanks also to Ed & Mark for allowing the members who want to have as much information as possible have that chance. Given the trying times we find ourselves in this industry I think it is very important to share information and ideas.

I would encourage the other candidates for Region 6 Director to share their responses to the list of questions. I understand that there was information sent out to all AMHA members, but what about the folks who may read this AND are not members, maybe we can get them to join?

There was a comment that this is only for Region 6 which is true, however the EBoard is selected from the Board and there is a potential that the successful candidates cam have an impact on the entire membership.

Just somethings to think about. Best of luck to all candidates and may you all have a happy and safe Thanksgiving holiday. Even though we are dealing with unsettling times, we still live in the greatest country there is and HAVE the best equine experience possible.

Sincerely,

Kenny Goodsell

Back