AMHA/AMHR registry??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingsLuckyNight

Reaction score
y pony is elidgable for both registry's. BUT since he is over the age of 4 months and is not registered it will cost me more. On May 3 he will be a year old. I know both of his parents, have there registered names. But the person he came from was telling me for one of the registry's I would be needing a hair sample from both mother, father and my baby? But then a lady who I have been talking to, told me if both are DNA tested then I only need my baby's hair.

I'm actually quite confused about this. I can do bigger horse registry but I have never done mini. Can you tell me what all goes on through this?

Yes for AMHA if both parents have been DNA'd you only need hair for the baby..AMHR l don't believe requires any DNA l know of. lf you have your foals papers it should tell you on there if the parents are done.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, I don't have there papers but I know who they are. They both are from Ralph Bears Miniature farm. The father is his Appy stud "Bear Farms Impressive" and his mother is a previous broodmare sold to my boss where I work "Bear Farms Echo Passion".

You don't need to dna for either registry when registering a foal if everything was done properly before breeding. In AMHA a horse used for breeding does need to be DNA'd for the foals to be eligible to register, but if the sire and dam were already DNA'd then the foal doesn't need to be to be registered. It would need to be if the stallion report was not turned in, however. So if the breeder had everything in order then you should be set. If the stallion report was never sent in, or was sent in late then yes, you will need to DNA the foal to register.

Last edited by a moderator:
To register your horse, you need to have an application for registration signed by the owner of the dam at the time of foaling. If the owner of the dam isn't also the owner of the stallion at breeding, then you need a stallion certificate. Then you need a transfer from the current owner of the mare and foal to you as the new owner of the foal. Yearling prices: AMHR would be $30 to register and if there is only one transfer, $15. For AMHA it would be $35 to register and $15 for the transfer, again if there is only one. You will need pictures for both, AMHR has different requirements than AMHA, make sure you read what they are. As someone has said, you do not have to do DNA to register in AMHR at all and not in AMHA as long as the mare is on the stallion report correctly. If there is no stallion report, then you will need to do late reports for both and DNA for AMHA. Its alot to take in, but I think the breeder is very good about doing paperwork so hopefully it will work out to be easy for you to register your horse.

I looked at the AMHA on-line stud book, and both the sire & dam have DNA on file, and Ralph & Shirley Bear are the owners of both. I know that they keep up on their paperwork (i.e., stud reports having been filed with both registries), so there should not be any problem getting the foal registered as long as you have the appropriate registration forms and signed transfers. You will NOT need to pull any hair or do DNA....unless you plan on using the foal for breeding. Then DNA will be required for AMHA (but not for AMHR).

Back