Always hoped I'd never have to post one of these threads...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K Sera

Reaction score
from a little place in the South to Mid Michigan
/
Dec122011fetusaborted.jpg
">I got home this evening, changed clothes and went out to feed as usual. The horses were all waiting for me and I made my rounds. When I got into the girls dry lot they all went into their own stalls as I poured their feed in each wall feeder. As I walked to the last stall I almost stepped on the small fetus laying there in the dirt. I was sick! What a shock! I have seen all the pics and the website with the different stages, etc... but didn't expect to see that in my own pasture this evening.

This was the first year for my stallion and I had hand bred one mare and pasture bred another, still not sure at his point whether either one was in foal .... now I know! I checked both mares and of course, went to the maiden mare who was hand bred first and she was clean. I then checked the experienced mare who I just weaned a 6 mos old colt from a few weeks ago and she was wet and I really felt bad! This is a mare that I had wanted for quite awhile and was finally able to purchase, a Sid's Rebel daughter. The little fetus looked to be a filly too! I feel so bad and now I can truly relate to all of you who have gone through this and I just can't imagine what it's like to lose one full term, or the mare for that matter!

I believe the other mare I hand bred is in foal. I now know that my stallion got the job done. I guess I won't know what caused her to abort ... not too sure how far along she was but I did take a few pics and will use the references to determine. Is there anything I need to do with her as she is eating and acting normal other than to watch for infection, etc... Everything looked like it was intact and the fetus was not deformed in any way that I could see ....

In hindsight, I did notice the mare was off to herself the last couple days but ate well....a little anti-social though with the other girls as she is the boss mare and she seemed to seperate herself more. I guess there may have been something going on that led up to this ....

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm so sorry!!!
default_sad.png

I've been through that loss. It's always sad. I always feel bad for the baby that didn't get to nap in the sun & run & play.

{{{Hugs}}}

Nature is a funny thing sometimes and we won't often understand or know why something happened. I hope that the mare is doing as best as can be expected as well as you.

Big hugs from all of us!

How awful for you!!
default_sad.png
I hope that your mare is ok n recovers quickly n that your other mate is in foal n carries full term... Could it maybe be to do with weaning her foal maybe? Still new to all of this so sorry If it's a stupid thing to say...

Hope everything is all ok...
default_smile.png

So sorry to hear, what a heartache. Hope your mare is ok and best wishes for the other mare .

So sad for you and your mare. {{{{HUGS}}}}. Been there and it is a real shock as you said. Hope your mare does fine and the other one foals for you.

I really feel for you, losing a foal at any stage is not easy.
default_no.gif
:No-Sad

Of course, nothing can be done now but I was wondering about the stress of weaning. I know her colt was very independant while he was with her and nursed off and on and she allowed it and is a great mother. He is her 8th or 9th. She had a filly at her side when I got her and was in foal with the colt and that weaning went fine. This colt of hers really had a fit and called to her for a week before he settled down. I even waited until he was 6 mos and did it on a good almanac weaning day of November 30th! LOL

As usual, we always have to try and figure out "why" and I guess it just wasn't meant to be this time. I don't know that she has ever aborted in the past and it just makes ya wonder .... I may try this spring as I would love to have a foal from this cross specifically. Thank you all for your thoughts!

I recommend that you call your vet in the morning and ask if they want to see the mare. They may have suggestions on what you should be on the look out for. It is possible the mare aborted due to a uterine/placental infection. If that is the case then the mare needs to be flushed for 3 days with antibiotics. The breeding future of your mare depends on careful management at times like these. Most likely there was a congenital problem with the foal that caused it to die and be aborted, but you need to be sure that your mare is 'clean'.

Since your mare is an experienced mom, I doubt the weaning had anything to do with the abortion.

Good luck!

I will call the vet in the morning to see what he advises ... definately don't want to risk the health of a valuable broodmare and a super sweet mare to me! They don't get much better than her! Thanks again for all the kind words!

Oh what a terrible loss, it happened to me last year so I know how you feel. Sending hugs for you and your mare.

I recommend that you call your vet in the morning and ask if they want to see the mare. They may have suggestions on what you should be on the look out for. It is possible the mare aborted due to a uterine/placental infection. If that is the case then the mare needs to be flushed for 3 days with antibiotics. The breeding future of your mare depends on careful management at times like these. Most likely there was a congenital problem with the foal that caused it to die and be aborted, but you need to be sure that your mare is 'clean'.

Since your mare is an experienced mom, I doubt the weaning had anything to do with the abortion.

Good luck!

I agree with Valshingle, your vet sure can help.

Ask your vet about Pneumabort-K

You give Pneumabort-K at 5, 7 and 9 months, when you have her bred again next year.

Had a mare that aborted and had to do this and no more problems had a nice healthy colt the next year and did the repeat on the shots and had a healthy filly the year after that.

Our vet and I decided to start her at 3 months, so did the shots at 3,5,7, 9 and cost is worth the try, here only $20.00 a shot and you can give it yourself. So for $80.00 had a live foal.

Good luck and glad to hear your mare is OK. So sorry for your loss.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope your mare will be fine

Latest posts

Back