Almost lost Mustang today

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

studiowvw

Reaction score
He went into the creek near a beaver dam and couldn't get out because of the ice at the edge.

He was up to his head in the freezing water. A passing snowmobiler saw him in the water and came to the door.

I wasn't home but my sister was visiting and she and the snowmobiler were able to pull him out.

When I got home he was still wet but not shivering as badly as at first. My sister had put him in the barn with Diesel and gave them some hay.

Now here's a good reason to practice putting blankets on your horses! I almost never blanket them (maybe 3 times in 30 years) but he sure needed a blanket today. I have a good wool one, but then found that he was totally freaked by it.

He had to learn fast about blankets, and once he felt that it was warm, he was ok. He still had to get used to it being on him.

I walked him up and down the road in the sun, which seemed warmer than the barn. After about half an hour or so he seemed calm about the blanket, so I put him back in the barn with it on.

No problem after that. I checked on him every hour or so, then tonight at about 9:30 I decided to take it off. The blanket seemed to have wicked all the dampness away - it was all wet and he was mostly dry.

He still has icicles in his tail, but most of his coat now is fluffed out again.

My sister said she thought he was very smart because when she got to him, he came towards her. She reached out to help him and he reared his front feet out onto the ice, so they were able to pull him out. Thank goodness he was still able to function, as I doubt he would have lasted much longer submerged in icy water.

I thought he seemed very shocked by the whole thing - he was afraid to walk on the ice on the road (just as well!) and afraid of the sound of the creek (so we walked up and down beside it), and frightened of the blanket being on him. He is a funny little guy. So glad they saw him - they saved his life!

That is a horror story! A friend of mine lost both of his miniature donkeys when they went out on the ice in a pond. No one found them in time. I'm so glad yours had a happy ending.

They are now in lockdown - they are not happy! But will have to stay there until the ice conditions change.

They went back down the swamp, CROSSED at the beaver dam again but this time no one fell through, got out on the snowmobile trail and had a great time.

I was in pursuit, as I saw them head down there, although I really did not think they would go near the ice patch where he fell through!

They did look lovely running down the trail, why didn't I have my camera?
default_smile.png
- long story short, they are now home again, and have lost all privileges until the ice melts. They won't cross the ice on the creek usually, but near the beaver dam it looks like solid ground.

The three minis are in the barn at night and will be in the riding paddock during the day if the weather's ok. There are 3 big horses, one is lame. As I only have one stall suitable for a horse, I'll put one of the two non-lame horses in there at night and the other two won't go traveling.

I do have too many - 3 horses is manageable, 4 horses is a herd, and 6 is a mob
default_smile.png

default_smile.png
Naughty naughty minis! For the record I have 6 and find it quite manageable (mind you they are all minis- no big guys here now) but that may be because I have just down sized from a high of 15. ;) Lets hope for an early spring so your little travellers can get out for a run again.

Oh no, they didn't learn did they lol.

Next year you may need to put in a fence before the creek and dam with gates so you can

Close them when conditions are bad .

Silly horses love to get in to trouble.
default_smile.png

I'm trying to figure out some fencing - it is a poor prospect due to terrain.

The last time ice conditions were like this was about 20 years ago.

The beavers are worse now, and the mischievous horses found their way down there. They did have a great time escaping and then going to visit the neighbour's horses.

Good thing they're cute!
default_smile.png

Wow, that is way too much adventure for my taste. I'm so glad Mustang is okay.

I'll have to find my little guys blanket and try to put it on him as something to practice.

Latest posts

Back