All 3 of my foals are sick....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OH FIONNA, I'M SORRY TO HEAR THIS NEWS OF YOUR BABY'S,I KNOW HOW MUCH YOU LOVE YOUR HORSES, PLEASE STAY STRONG,IF YOU NEED ANY $$ LET ME KNOW ID BE ONLY TO GLAD TO HELP, YOU MUST FEEL SO FRUSTRATED,I HOPE YOU POST SOME GOOD NEWS SOON, YOU DESERVE A BREAK IN YOUR LUCK...ITS AWFUL SAD TO HEAR SO MANY AT ONCE YOU MUST BE EXHAUSTED..TAKE CARE

Use the bleach full strength and spray everything down. It will dry quickly. Make sure ANY manure is bagged and disposed of and also bleach out all your water and feed buckets. etc.....

The bleach won't hurt your baby, but you need to spray things and then let them dry before allowing your horses access to the area.

Also, if you are spraying your hands, be prepared to need TONS of lotion.

MA

Has your vet considered Rotavirus? It causes a VERY profuse and stinky watery diarrhea. It can be in the soil or just anywhere.........I mean the 'bug' can.

Our vet has us treat with Bisol (I think that is neomycin). (I haven't asked him, but am assuming the antibacterial is for a secondary bacterial infection after the virus hits) It's a liquid and they get once per day along with Endosorb (a pink liquid that looks like Peptobismol, but has other stuff in it) twice per day and Probiotic paste once per day......Banamine if they have a fever and are not nursing and pedialyte liquid by oral syringe of they are dehydrated. A severely dehydrated one would need IV fluids, but I've never had one that needed IVs.

Usually 4-5 dyas on Bisol is all they need and the diarrhea is gone after 24 hours on it. I continue on with the probiotic paste for about 4-5 days after finishing other meds.

I'm going to be praying for your little ones to make a complete recovery and for you to be fine too.

If you have any questions please email or PM me. I'm having terrible connection problems, but should get it and surely can find a way to respond.

Take care

Charlotte

Hi Fiona, Sorry to hear your babies are sick. Are you still using Wadleigh Falls for your vet? If you are you are your babies are in the best of hands. They are also less expensive than the other clinics around here. If it were not for them Becky would not be here after being so sick last fall. They are very experienced with minis and have done them for many years. If you need anything give me a call I'll help any way I can. Linda B

I am devastated.......I know I shouldn't show favorites but my little Theo is listless and not nursing and he has diarrhea, I am completely heartbroken.

I don't know what to do, the treatment at the clinic is expemsive I don't know how I could swing that......

This is terribly sad, my poor little foals. Just standing around looking sad and tired........

I believe it is Salmonella and after much reading know there is many different ways they could get it. Another horse could be a carrier but it would not show but when the foals get it they cannot fight it.

Oh, I hope with all my heart that it is not salmonella...I lost my draft mare Liberty in February 2004 to anterior enteritis (caused by salmonella or another bacteria) and it still brings me to tears when I think of her waiting for me to return home from a vacation out of the country so she could tell me "Thanks for giving me a good home..." and she died, in front of me.

My thoughts and prayers are with you, Fiona!
default_pray.gif
:

Denise

Silversong Farm

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back