All 3 of my foals are sick....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capall beag

Reaction score
York Beach, Maine originally from Ireland!
I am devastated.......I know I shouldn't show favorites but my little Theo is listless and not nursing and he has diarrhea, I am completely heartbroken.

I don't know what to do, the treatment at the clinic is expemsive I don't know how I could swing that......

This is terribly sad, my poor little foals. Just standing around looking sad and tired........

I believe it is Salmonella and after much reading know there is many different ways they could get it. Another horse could be a carrier but it would not show but when the foals get it they cannot fight it.

aww dang it! are you sure?? ive been praying so hard!! have you called your veternarian. the best defense is getting them on meds asap. can you give shots at home to save money?? did the vet run the test on the other one for salmonella?? hang in there honey were all pulling for you!

Fiona are you SURE this is not ulcers??

The only time I have had this happen the symptoms were exactly as you describe and came on- well, it seemed like over night, although obviously it was not.

The first foal was very sick, as I did not pick up on the problem immediately, the second one was sick but not so dramatically as I was up to speed- after that it travelled through the whole bunch, and I had ten that year, but as I got better and better at picking up symptoms I was dosing before diarrhoea started, the moment the foal looked "droopy".

Just a thought and I shall pray that it turns out to be simple and easy to resolve.

I do think, although I would not contradict a Vets diagnosis, that if it were Salmonella, the foal would be dead by now.

Fiona, keep all the $$ you plan to send to me, use it for the foals, get the vet, pay me whenever! Daggone it, my prayers are with you all.

Fiona, I think you need to call the vet hospital right now and find out what your other foal has, they should have run tests and possibly know by now. You can call them anytime so you should do it now. Then you should tell them about the others and that you need to treat them at home and go from there. But they need to have the medical attention immediately but I can tell you, around here, we're better off treating them at home if possible. Please know we are praying for you.

I agree! Phone your vet, get them seen. Odd that all three are sick? Perhaps something in momma's feed? Perhaps an infection of some sort, flu, how knows at this point? I read a lot on the internet too, and believe me it is NO REPLACEMENT for a vet or advise from a long time breeder! Foals can go down very quickly. Do they have temps? Probios helps with scours, I have used it and it usually stops that day.

Good luck with them, most Vets will work with you on payment plans by the way.

Beth

I hope your going to call the vet....not to sound negative but if you can't afford to have a vet for situations like this....or any situation for that matter.... maybe you shouldn't be breeding horses and stick with a number of horses you can afford...it's not fair for the little guys to be suffering

Champ, I have 2 words for you--stuff it.
default_wacko.png
:

Fiona, hang in there. Please don't get discouraged. Do phone the hospital immediately and find out if they have test results yet, if they know what the first foal has for sure. If it's salmonella, or if they now know it's something else, they will know which drugs you need to treat with and you can probably treat your other foals at home. You're catching these new cases very early. It's true that foals can go downhill very, very quickly, but I know from experience that if you catch the problem early & get the right drugs into them, they can also turn around very quickly.

Hang in there, don't give up in despair, you know we're all here praying for your babies. {{{hugs}}} to you.

Fiona, I am SO sorry you are going thru all of this. I think the very first thing that needs to be done is to find out exactly what it is you are batteling, and then go from there. Can you give shots etc, at home? If not--would you vet be able to show you how to do the treatments? Have you tried probios? I sure wish I was closer to give you some help. Keeping you and your babies in my prayers and a big (((HUG))) for you. Corinne

champ what a mean hateful thing to say to someone who is under a great deal of stress with a house that just flooded, a sick dog and now sick horses. Sometimes the best laid plans go wrong.

fiona pls call the vet and get the test results!! then you will know how to proceed

I am so sorry to hear about your sick babies!! Call your vet, maybe they can work with you on the payment part.

Champ I will ditto "Stuff it".

Fiona is one of the very best child and horse moms here and you don't know her so stuff it. No one has the right to come onto an already upsetting thread and crash it. Stay away and if you can't say something nice don't say a word!

Marnie and I are very close to Fiona and will defend her visciously.

Fiona, know I mean what I say, call the vet, use the money, this months and next, to fight for those sweet babies. Hugs and love. Remember to try really hard to be positive even tho your heart is so very broken. Sending all I have to help.

Fiona dont' get me wrong I'm sure you love your horses.... all your animals for that matter....it's just that I've been hearing alot of stories about animals that can't and don't get help because there owners can't afford to....which believe me I know if a vet just breathes in my direction it costs a fortune.... so it has got me upset and I happen to take it out on you which I shouldn't have....sorry...and I hope all goes well with your babies.

I have a call into the vet and they said they would be back to me by 9am.......

I know where you are coming from Champs but I would pull out all the stops for any animal suffering BUT No I cannot spend $5,000 + to save my very precious foals.......NONE of my animals would suffer without vet care. My vat said this will either turn around or the foal will be lost.

I gotta run

THANKS for all the support, you know I need you guys right now and I know you have my back
default_wink.png
:
default_wink.png
:
default_wink.png
:

I will mention the ulcers..

Champ a weak apology in my estimation. You dont know the circumstances in this instance. Its fine to sit somewhere else and judge. Fionnas area of Maine has been devastated with flooding for almost 3 weeks and many animals in the area are sick. Not just hers. Also I think there are many of us here who can handle one medical emergency but she has already had two in a very short time and now it looks like she has even more on her plate. ( Judge lest ye shall be judged.)

I have read your comment from others on this board before if you cant afford care you shouldnt have horses fine to say but in my estimation BS. Though most of us can afford a few hundred dollars or even a few thousand when it come to several thousand thats another issue. I think most of us here will get care if we can. Those who wont dont frequent this board.

Go back and read Fionna's posts it is obvious that she dearly loves these horses and will do everything she can to help them. Just sometimes life gets in the way and any one of us could be there any time.

Fionna you have a PM.

Fiona,

I am so sorry your precious little ones are sick. I know how much you care and love them.

Hugs and prayers for you and your babies. Hopefully the vet will have some answers for you when he calls back. We are all here for you and will keep you and your precious babies in our prayers.

:no: Champ......May I suggest said "call name" be changed, as it certainly doesn't fit!

:no: :no: FIONA......anyone who messes with a kind, wonderful person with a heart as big as Texas, either verbally or written form, is unbelievable cruel !!!

NOT BEING A VET....BUT HAVING ONE OF OURS WITH THE SYMPTONS YOU DESCRIBE, he used....Escherichia Coli Antibody (Equine Origin)...Equine Coli Endotox), manufactured by NOVARTIS, was extremely helpful. I also noticed it is provided in the Jeffers catalog. (Provides overnight service)

Should you have a short-term monetary issue, I'll be glad to send money for vet bills, as well as I'm sure others of your Forum Family. Just say the word!

One of the things my vet showed me about foals with scours, is to pinch the skin and see if it returns quickly. If not, then get that vet out QUICK, they'll probably need IV fluids (not as expensive as you think).

There was a thread a couple weeks ago about foal scours, my vet gave us BIO-SPONGE (an intestinal absorbent made by Platinum).....ONE DOSE WORKED IMMEDIATELY.

PLEASE KEEP US POSTED........

Cindy

default_wub.png
:

Hang in there and talk to the vet oyu might be able to treat them at home. We had something 2 yrs ago they thought was samenella although testing showed it wasnt - never did figure out what it was but we lost a mare and had 3 others sick. I had my vet insert a IV so I could run fluids at home and did most of the meds myself it was a horrible long few days but the rest pulled thru.

Keep positive and hang in there ok

So sorry to hear of all you're going through! I pray you and your foals will make out alright.

Champ, your comment disgusts me! How heartless and uncaring! I just hope you do not end up finding yourself in the same situation someday and this bites you in the arse.

Fran

Latest posts

Back