All 3 of my foals are sick....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just talke dto vet.......

Filly was running around her stall!

Not home free yet or anywhere close but that is a plus not a minus.

He said to give my boys pepto bismol and take their temps ans watch them really close and to call him at 1pm. Also to continue with electrolytes

He said it is some kind of infectious diarrhea but may have affected each foal differently.

Angel's colt had mild diarrhea yesterday but has none today but he is lethargic, Theo has diarrhea today and is not himself.

It seemed to affect the filly hard and fast?

I will keep you posted, off to RITE AID.

All my adult horses are healthy and well so whatever it is just affected the foals.

I am doing all I can for my foals.....every life is precious to me 2 and 4 legged
default_smile.png

Must add vets are worth every penny.......it was wonderful having a good vet arrive immediately after a call was made! Sometimes I grumble at the bill but they are worth it.....great piece of mind!

one more thought. do you have any fast track paste?? this also fights foal diarhea and stimulates appetite.

Wahoo!! Good news!! I was holding my breath!!! Phew!!

As I told you on the phone, we can help any way you need... It sounds like there are many awesome people here who will also help with anything! :aktion033:

hey krisp just emailed me and reminded me of one more thing (she cant post) if they are around salt or mineral blocks remove them asap. sometimes foals will lick them until they cause themselves to have diarhea and dehydrate! cant believe i didnt think of that as i had a foal do that too

hugs

Champ........I personally do not know fiona, but she seems like a very loving person.. Remember "everything comes full circle", and what you spread around comes around!! And if you countinue to have mini's, one day chances are "you" will be in her shoes :no:

Fiona, I hope your babies will be fine, I also will help with $ just pm me an address to send it to...Theresa

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh Thank GOD it wasn't salmonella! That is WONDERFUL NEWS! I have been holding my breath all through catching up on this thread.........

Hang in there Fiona. If it's what the vet says, you can beat it!

MA

PS sorry - typo

Fionna I just got here I'm so sorry your foal is sick.

I don't know why the vet scared you with a $5,000 quote! He shouldn't have done that to you not even seeing the baby. I know we can't give out any veternary type advice here but just wanted to tell you that probios helps and also if you can give a little Gatorade.

Don't really know what is going on, but If the vet says/suspects and ulcer , please pm me right away. I have some un-used ulcer med that I can send you priority mail and I would be happy to help.

I just came in on this late and am so sorry you are struggling with even more babies. Please hang in there and know we are in your corner. Reading your last post it sounds much more hopeful that things can be controlled. However, should the need for extreme vet care be necessary for all of them, don't forget that vets can be very understanding of the crushing costs too, and in these types of situations will often let you pay on time in order to take care of what needs to be done.

Please keep us posted on your babies and if you need a shoulder to cry on, talk to, please don't hesitate to call. My number is on my website, and lots of others here too.

Im so glad the newest news is a little better. And as for a $5000 quote that is not out of line around here for clinic stays for multiple moms and babies. A 3 day stay for mom and baby four years ago was $3000 and we lost our baby anyway. We at the time had to charge it on our credit card. Thats why comments like what were made on this thread about if you cant afford care you shouldnt have horses burned me up so. Most of us on this board love our horses and will do what needs to be done somehow but thousands of dollars is not always available at a moments notice. Fionna I am so glad that the baby is a little better and you now have a course of action to follow. Prayers still coming from here.

Hello Fiona,

Can I help? 603 44 5054 after 4

Bonnie

:aktion033: Oh Fiona, so glad to hear your babies are showing improvement...that is great news!! I will pray that they continue to do well, and HUGS to you!!

Fiona, I am SO sorry! I wish you the Best :no:

As for Champ, One wrong post was made, A sorry was made, Move on. Life goes on. There IS a point to what was said there, although that doesn't have anything to do with Fiona, it is a good point for newbies
default_yes.gif
: So Fiona I'm glad to hear that they are a little better, but I'm still sending prayers.

If it is salmonella and you do not treat them, you are likely going to lose them. This is a serious illness and is passed through manure or through sinus contact and sounds like your entire herd has been exposed. TREATMENT IS A MUST!! In addition, ALL manure must be disposed of and the entire place, including feed and water buckets must be disinfected.

Once you handle the sick ones, you must wash your hands throughly with disinfectant before going to the next horse. Our vet used to keep a tray of bleach outside the stall with shoes that ONLY went in and out of that stall only and were bleached before and after each time. These shoes were disposed of when the animal was done being treated.

If that is what you have there- it is not going to go away and will not just affect your foals!!!!

I hope the vet took a fecal sample to test????

Hope they improve and SOON!!! Hang in there!!

Prayers going out to you & your foals..........I know what I went through with a week of treating a colt with diarrhea, I can't imagine having 3 sick babies!
default_sad.png

Hang in there!!!

Ok Sweetie, I keep coming back to check on you, I know you are flying at top speed today trying to care for Mathew and the minis. I am glad to hear Kerry is up and about, see if you can't get more info on just what this could be so you can safely handle the rest. Let me know what you need, we all want to help. Call Bonnie! Hugs and care and best prayers Debs

Oh I am overwhelmed by all the kindness and concern.

I don't know what to think......my vet doesn't see the need to test for Salmonella?

My little Theo is crashing he is stumbling around and looks sick........OMG I can't loose him I am too upset to write anymore

I really thank you for the support but this sucks so bad my precious little darlings....God this hurts

Can someone on the forum call Fiona and conference call in her vet, just to help her out here?

Liz R.

Latest posts

Back