Aged Stallion Problem

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kayla221444

Reaction score
Ok so we have two stallions here at the farm one being 18(Kegley) and the other is 19 (Hero) years old. So when is a stallion to old for breeding? I have noticed this spring when we started breeding our first mares Hero was interested and it took a while for him to actally "become interested". My mom just uses the excuse that he knows they aren't in heat, when clearly I can tell they are because if I bring the other stallion Kegley around them they will squat etc. And Hero will show no intrest in them what so ever.

Is it a sign that hes getting to old, and loosing intrest in breeding at all? I bred my regumate mare to him yesterday, and she was clearly in heat, then tried it again today and he wouldnt touch her! And of course mom says its because shes not in heat & he knows it, but she is! And I really want a baby from her but its kind of hard when Hero will breed her one day and then thats it hes done.

We had him out also to see if one of our other mares was in heat that he had bred later on in the year, she always shows intrest even if shes pregnant etc, but wont let them breed. He went to go sniff her and she was squealing and what to me looked to be very much in heat, and he just walked away from her. And she was spinning to him and of course again mom says its because shes not in heat.

I think she may be delerious to him becoming to old for breeding, as she just purchased him last spring, and bred him to one mare and she didnt take. And this year he has one mare in foal, out of the 4 he bred(early in the spring). I just don't think she wants to admit he is too old for breeding more than 1 mare a year. What are you thoughts? Anyone with experience with an older breeding age stallion. Our other stallion Kegley who is only a year younger is still very much interested in the girls and does his job, so is it possible Hero is too old...although Kegley is only 1 year younger, and I still believe he will be breeding next year!

Hi Kayla,

My older guy is 22 this year and he is showing NO signs of slowing down, He is always interested in the girls(I only have a couple of mares), he comes in and out of the barn yelling and showing is handsome self to the girls
default_laugh.png
, he didn't get to breed anyone this year(my choice) but I know he would. He does have his favorite mare and doesn't always show to the other mare, but if he had no choice I have no doughts he would get the job done!!! I'm sure your guy is just a picky like mine.. Val

also I have had a mare brought in to breed that Doodle would not touch, no interest what so ever, walked up to her and sniffed and walked away, she chased him but he wanted nothing to do with it, she was later bred to another stallion and foaled the next year...

Last edited by a moderator:
he could be just picky! He really had a thing for my moms palomino mare! But it just irks me I want a baby so badly from my mare, and know that our other stallion isnt a good cross with her, not to say hes so tiny its hard for him to get the job done with her! I guess I just miss my young stallion, did his job anytime you wanted him to with no problems, as long as the mare would allow it, he was a bit more agressive!

Hopefully I will have luck sometime with my mare
default_sad.png

The ages you listed are NOT OLD!!!! They are "experienced" stallions.

A stallion who is used to pasture breeding will not expend their energy on a mare who is in heat but not "ready". Don't ask me how they know......I think it's by smell.......but they won't take action until the time is RIGHT. Usually a pasture stallion has several mares to keep track of so they have learned not to waste their time until they know the mare is willing. They also have learned not to approach an UNwilling mare. :eek:)

Over the years, I came to trust my boy and he was usually right on......unless it was a mare issue. God bless him.

Stallion's testicles will get smaller and degenerate as they age generally starting in their late teens. When their testicles loose their tissue they loose their ability to both produce sperm and produce testosterone. Fertility will slowly drop off as will their sexual interest. Some stallions will go until their late twenties, others will loose interest in their late teens. The best thing to do is palpate their scrotum every few weeks all of their life. Then you will know the general consistancy and texture, and will notice when they start to get very hard, ribby, or soft and squishy. All of those signs can relate to lowered fertility.

Please note that this does not mean they are infertile once they hit 20... just that their interest and ability will decrease with age. I usually get people very upset that I'm calling their older stallions infertile :p

I have an older stallion and do believe the older they get the wiser they get. I let mine pasture breed as he is best at that. He does know when it is time no matter what the mare is doing. Your mom is probably right!

Good luck and do not worry, your boy is still in his prime!

Beth

My "senior" stallion is 28 this year and still settling his girls! Here is one of his babies this year!

08tigerlilycolt.jpg

I love an old stallion; they know what they are doing. However, I can tell you from experience that they are more fertile early in the breeding season and up until maybe late June, but their fertility does decrease significantly by mid summer. If you want to know for sure, have his sperm count tested. I was very disappointed once and found out in August the ole stallion we had leased (21 years old) was shooting blanks as the vet said. So I fed him good quality feed all winter and bred him early spring April/May and he bred five mares and we got five foals. Sometimes you gotta be patient. Good Luck.

He may very well be past his breeding prime, but his ago alone is no indicator. As Nathan said, having him testing is the only way you'll know for sure. But I can tell you from experience, once a stallion becomes good at his job, he can tell when the time is right. Doesn't matter that the mare is winking and putting her behind in his face, if he sniffs her and walks away, she's not ready. Plain and simple. It's really quite fascinating really. Both Spirit and Corona, although only 7 and 8 respectively, know when the mare is ready and neither wastes his time if they aren't. I can even use Corona to tell me if a mare is bred. Yep! I can walk a mare past him (even if she's showing total heat) and by how he reacts I know if she's bred or not. True story!

Good luck with your guy. You may just need to be more patient and listen to him more. He'll tell you when it's time.

Well........Rabbit is 29 and has just had a daughter born!!!

Stallions do vary, just like mares, some mares may be finished with breeding by 15, some go on to 30, still breeding, there is no rhyme or reason to it.

Hi Kayla,

Well you are welcomed to bring your mare to breed to my boy...I know you like him and you won't loose a year with her!
default_wink.png

Your mom may be right to a point...most stallions that pasture breed can tell when a mare is at prime time to be bred and usually won't cover them till the end of their cycle...sort of a self preservation on their part, if they happen to be running with a lot of mares.

It could also be that our breeding season is coming to an end here in NY our days are definately getting shorter...and the mare, even though showing heat may not be having a good cycle.

But like others have said the only way you will know for sure is to have him tested.

Good luck

Suzanne

I think the old guys are just very smart! They may well be in heat but have no egg yet!`And these old boys know not to expend their energy for no reason.

Trust your stallions, your mother is right, they know what they are doing.

I hope your mom knows how lucky she is to have a daughter that cares so much and is very observant about the horses!

Good for you!

But just trust the experience these boys have.
default_wub.png

Hugs

Bonnie

Some stallions are no longer fertile by the time they are 20, and some are still fertile well past that. However, even when fertile, I have never seen one that did not still breed mares- they just dont produce any.

I would have him checked out by your vet to see if there might be something else going on. ??

Also, are you hand or pasture breeding? Maybe if the horse is used to pasture breeding, some that are shown a lot, or just not hand bred, are hesitant to breed a mare when they are being handled by a person. We had a full sized stud that would NOT pasture breed- would not even get near the mares. He had been hand bred in a particular way all his life, and that was the only way he would cover mares as that was all he was allowed.

I agree, the stallions know also whether it is a true heat or not or if something else may be wrong...

Latest posts

Back