Again, I am confused....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Joyce let us know the moment you can!!!
default_yes.gif

This morning Miss Bonny has lopsided udder.
default_unsure.png
I guess one side is filling more now?

I think now ( Lisa correct me if I am wrong) but maybe she is filling in the back now? IDK. She had loose the firm stools last night, some were formed and some piles were soft mushy. weird.

She still wont let me touch her udder for a milk test. The minute she feels any pressure she moves away quickly.

Anyway any suggestions as to this new udder stuff?

So you can compare without going back.

January: LOL!

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x12/479...e/newbon014.jpg

The 5th of July:

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x12/479...e/7-5-08010.jpg

This was yesterday

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x12/479...f7-10-08016.jpg

And todays.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x12/479.../7-11-08014.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x12/479.../7-11-08018.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x12/479.../7-11-08005.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
No foal for Cookie! Thats ok, but I have to get this weight off her. I'm going to start weighing her hay. Shelly has just bought a stallion that I'm now going to breed her with. The Vet was awesome! I'm very happy!! This will all work out for the better!!!
default_risa8.gif

Forgot to comment on your pictures! Her bag is bigger today! I think her nipples will fill out when her milk drops down. You must be excited!! Make a list to make sure you have everything you will need for the foaling. I'm sure you have! LOL, sorry I'm like a mother hen!!! I wish I could help you with something!

Last edited by a moderator:
OH MAN! I am sorry. I know your glad to know for sure! Did she suggest how to get the weight off? Did she take blood for a thyroid test?

She told me to weigh her hay and give her 10% of her body weight. I didn't even think to ask about the thyroid, duh! I'm sure she assumes she is an easy keeper as many of these shorter backed minis are. If I don't see improvement in her weight, I'll do the thyroid test for sure.

So I have a whole new adventure ahead of me! It will be awesome to get my mind on this for the winter! I am miserable in the winter, this will really give me something to look forward too!!

I can certainly understand that! Is your plan to get the weight off then breed come spring? Or breed now?

She's moving in with the stallion TOMORROW! I am now starting to cut back her hay slowly. I surely don't want to stress her out! I think its better and safer that way.
default_smile.png

I think thats a good idea. Keep me updated on her!

Bonny,

Here is a pic of the stallion that Joyce's COOKIE and my MOCHA will be breeding with tomorrow!

[attachmentid=196]

He is homozygous pinto and silver dapple so he should produce the same! Wish us luck
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Y'all, I went back to the original tests I did on Bonny with the wee foal urine test and I crunched some #'s.

The first wee foal was neg on Jan 16th. I got a pos on Feb 20. So If I give a weeks allowance for hormones I get she could be any where from 262- 290 days pregnant. Oddly enough her udder development falls into that category.

So I am thinking I may order another wee foal and just see what it says. If she is under day 300 It should still pick up the hormone and show a result...

This may be my only shot as getting a vet is nearly impossible.

Course if its positive I will know and if its neg....I will faint.

OK< now I'm really confused
default_wacko.png
default_wacko.png
How do you come up with 262-290 days from Feb.20th? How far along do they have to be to use the wee foal test and get a result?

120 days is recommended.But it could possible pick up sooner.

So If I go by the Feb 20 date that puts us at 262 days today, But there were 5 weeks between testings, so not knowing exactly what date she was covered or what date she turned 120 days we can guesstimate if we say add 3 weeks to the 120 days that makes her about 283 days which would make sense with her bag development. Or we can up it to 4 and get her around 290.

So funny that all this time I thought the wee foal was wrong and gave me a false positive in Feb when in fact it may be correct. Unless of course she was and lost in and is still thinking she is.

did I make any sense?
default_wacko.png

Bonny, hon, are we going to have to book you a padded room before this situation resolves (one way or another)?
default_biggrin.png

default_biggrin.png
PLEASE!

Course If one of yall would just come here in person and look at her.....
default_wink.png

Thank you Bonny for the explanation...NOW I remember Joyce telling me that she had to wait until Cookie was 124 days at least to do her first wee foal test!!! :DOH! I honestly think Cookie was pregnant and lost the foal early on and Joyce missed it in the stall somewhere. It would have been soooo small that it wouldn't have been hard to miss.
default_sad.png
Anywhoo, wish us luck today, hopefully we have success with both Cookie and Mocha with Joey.
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif

Bonny,

I am with you - If you get a negative on the test - I think I will faint with you..LOL.

I am so shocked at the change in the udder from July 5th - to - today's pictures.

Now, I will admit I am over protective when my my mares are ready to foal - drives my husband crazy somtimes..LOL.

With Bonny making changes so fast - and since she is a maiden- I would be watching her extremely close. Which I know you already are.

Oh, this may have been posted also - or you may already know this - Sometime, not alway - the mare will get a little grouchy a few days before foaling - also if she is in with other horses you may notice her staying away from them.

I am sorry if I am telling you things you already know. I am just trying to help and as I think of things I post them here.

Also, have you used the foaling date calculate on the Little Beginnings site? - I love that, it helps me allot!

LisaF., what is this foaling date calculate site? Thanks Shelly
default_wink.png

Oh WOW Bonny!!!

She for sure has to foal in the next few weeks with an udder like that! I cant believe how fast she progressed!!

Yahoo, I am excited for you now!!!

And with her being snitchy about her udder being touched...last year my maiden was cool as a cucumber with me checking her udder and then one day she near knocked me flying! She foaled about 3-4 days after that...ohhhh how exciting!!!

keep us updated!

[SIZE=12pt]Thanks Everyone!!!! I cant thank yall enough for all the support and advice! [/SIZE]I am trying to settle down and get in the swing of this.

She is doing really good in her new pen at night. Every day I make more adjustments to it as its nowhere near a perfect set up. But with out a barn I am doing my best!

Bonny actually seems quite content in it. And ShyAnne( my Paint mare she is pastured with) stands next to her pen at night , keeping her company.

She is still making changes in her udder but its getting tricky for me to tell where. So I will post new pics every few days instead of daily, well unless something changes and I have a question!

Continue feeling her udder each day, that will help her to become accustomed to a foal nursing. My mare was different than the poster above, initially she hated her udder being touched and eventually she just got used to it, which I think helped for when baby arrived.

I started cleaning my mare's udder and the area around it daily before she foaled.

Latest posts

Back