Again, I am confused....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonny

past member - Someone just shoot me!
Reaction score
[SIZE=12pt]Ok so we have been through the is she or isnt she pregnant with Bonny ever since I got her.[/SIZE]

I have had a negative wee foal a positive wee foal and 2 US externally. And blood work saying Neg.

So in May I exposed her to a stally. The last cover date was May 8th putting her about 55 days if she took.

Well I have been watching her udder because she kept growing ( her belly)since we had her as the Vet said to the last time her was out in April...

[SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]

Normally her udder is small as she is maiden...

June 16th-

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x12/479.../6-16-08004.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]well I was just out brushing her and noticed that her udder had grown! Well just the other day I was explaining she had a tiny bit of clear fluid, and her udder was tiny. [/SIZE]

So check this out!

What do you think is going on? if she was 55 days would she get a bag?

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x12/479...e/7-2-08009.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats not what I would call a bag. Some horses get a bit when they cycle. I have several mares on the place who have slight bags. ONe actually looks like she could be nurseing a foal and has looked that way since I got her in March. She is now almost 5 months bred.

Also if they are fat sometimes they tend to get a bit of a bulg there.

The last time she cycled was in May. And her udder has never done this before... I know its not huge.. But for her it is.
default_smile.png

another view:

normally:

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x12/479.../4-14-08021.jpg

today:

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x12/479...e/7-2-08012.jpg

Ashley, thanks for your reply. She isnt fat at all.
default_smile.png

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x12/479...e/7-2-08001.jpg

But I am confused. Not sure whats going on here.

If she is not preg from before May, then why would she develop this quickly in 2 days? And after never having done this before. Also if she is only 55 days bred why would she do this?

She shouldn't get a bag until much closer to foaling. I think the changes you are seeing could just be due to retaining some water or that kind of thing. When they get a bag, the udder looks filled in totally, not "flattened" like hers looks now.

(Plus, if she had been in foal, she shouldn't have let the stallion cover her in May.)

Thats why I am so confused.

I talked to my Vet and he said... well it is early for her to develop. Then He also said yea, she shouldnt have bred if she was pregnant. Then he said well keep an eye on her just in case.

Ok so I guess I should be watching to see if it goes down? Or if it gets bigger?

I am starting to wonder... do you think it could be a sign that she is about to abort?

It is not unusual in the heat of summer for mares to retain fluid. This udder isnt a pregnant one....I would not worry about it.

Lyn

She doesn't look pregnant and her udder just looks like she might be in heat.

I went and measured her tummy and its still growing its up 2 inches to 55&1/2 inches.

She has hay 24/7 and for the last 2 months she has been on Wendlands one and only with a 1.5% fat.23% fiber. I only give it to her as a snack while my Paint mare eats. Vet said she didnt need 'feed'.

Don't let anyone tell you that mares do not let the stallion breed if they are in foal. It depends on the mare. We have a couple that if in with a stallion will let the stallion breed almost up to the day they foal if you don't take them out. We call them our little "hussys". And we have had a couple of mares ultra sounded and came back not in foal, and guess what they were. So you just never know.

YEP, MY MARES WERE CLEANED OUT AND THEN US WAS INSERTED RECTALLY AND CHECKED (INTERNALLY), BUT IT WAS ONLY TWO THAT THE VET WAS WRONG ON. HE SAID THEY MUST HAVE BEEN HIDING IN A HORN OR SOMEWHERE.

My neighbours horse had a big bag too. She hadn't even been anywhere near a stallion.

She lost weight, she lost the bag.

I can understand how mares get bigger there when they cycle....I know I do!
default_new_shocked.gif

I think next year, you will have a better idea what to look for, assuming she's pregant from the May cover
default_yes.gif
I seriously do not think she's going to foal until next spring (but it will be worth the wait -- you will love your foal!)

I can sympathize when we were first in minis we bought a BRED mare in June. She was supposed to be due in October. In August we had her externally ultrasounded and vet was quite sure he could see a baby. She had a bag and we could express fluid from it . In fact a bag bigger than your girls. So we put her on foal watch and did a blood test and the results came back questionable whatever that means in January. In early April we had an internal ultrasound done with a confirmed pregnancy. She had her baby 2 days later. But it was excruciating watching her all those months. We had her under camera and all took turns watching round the clock. Very looooong foal watch from August to April. lol. Also I wondered about your mare is she on any green grass at all because that will alter bag size as well. After many foals now I would say dont worry about her until you really see a bag at least a handful which she doesnt have now.It can definitely make you crazy. Lots of Luck.

Thanks Y'all. I checked her this am when I fed her . Her bag looks exactly the same. No increase no decrease. I did talk to a friend who also suggested that as a maiden, if she took in May, then it could be new hormones at work in her system.

I was quite surprised when I saw it and I am feeling better after asking , that it isnt something to worry about. She is eating and acting fine. Today she is 8 weeks from her last cover.

Thanks again.

If anything changes I will update.
default_yes.gif

I’d also be checking it to see if it has heat in/to it – its not common but I’ve had a maiden mare have chronic mastitis issues and when she had a flare up you’d think she was ready to have a foal.

default_laugh.png
keep us updated

Latest posts

Back